Friday OT #2 - Hobbies

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't like my celebrity thread very much, so here's another try.

What are your hobbies? Or what would you like to take up? Beer making, hunting, woodworking? How much do you have to spend on your hobby each year?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
My hobbies....

1) doing things with my kids ... trying/exploring/having fun.
2) building my new business... one year in and still kicking. I love what I do... and put lots of extra effort in making it work.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I like to cross stitch, which is an old lady hobby. If there are babies to make projects for, it costs more, but probably only $100 a year. In a year where I don't have a baby project and just work on my nearly 8 year old cross stitch, the cost is $0, lol.

I think I may get into gardening/flowers a bit next year. Never been big into it in the past, but somehow I see it being more fun when it's my own and not just my mom wanting help planting all those damn flowers she wants around the house, ha!

oh, and you don't get to take time off from OT threads - this is America, you don't get maternity leave for that! :jimlad:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Does beer drinking count? I also like backpacking and playing guitar.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Homebrewing is my main hobby. I enjoy photgraphy but don't currently have a camera, as having two expensive hobbies isn't very feasible right now.

Amount spent on homebrew stuff varies a lot. Depends if I'm buying equipment or just ingredients. Wild guess, but maybe $3,000 since I started a few years back.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I like to cross stitch, which is an old lady hobby. If there are babies to make projects for, it costs more, but probably only $100 a year. In a year where I don't have a baby project and just work on my nearly 8 year old cross stitch, the cost is $0, lol.

I think I may get into gardening/flowers a bit next year. Never been big into it in the past, but somehow I see it being more fun when it's my own and not just my mom wanting help planting all those damn flowers she wants around the house, ha!

oh, and you don't get to take time off from OT threads - this is America, you don't get maternity leave for that! :jimlad:

You made me laugh with this entire post! I do enjoy cross stitching, too - it's something to keep your hands busy while you're relaxing. But you're right, it's definitely not cool to say you do it.

Also - I'll have to tell the baby that he needs to sleep first thing every Friday morning! :wink:

ISU sports aredefinitely​ a hobby, IMO.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Outdoors stuff.

Camping, fishing, kayaking, hiking. Stuff like that.

All these things have a pretty heavy initial investment requirement but after that it's just paying for licenses and permits.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm another outdoors person. I spent a lot of time hiking, running, bicycling, kayaking, canoeing, etc. Where I live, it's far and away the most available and highest quality recreation opportunity. I also like to travel and just explore new places. I try to go to a different ISU road football game every year, and I always try to get their at least a day early to explore the town and really get a feel for that university's community.

I keep telling myself I'm going to start home brewing. I have a lot of friends who do it (or did back when they had more free time), and I've acquired some of the gear, but have yet to really set aside the time or get all the necessary **** to get started.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
You made me laugh with this entire post! I do enjoy cross stitching, too - it's something to keep your hands busy while you're relaxing. But you're right, it's definitely not cool to say you do it.

Also - I'll have to tell the baby that he needs to sleep first thing every Friday morning! :wink:

ISU sports aredefinitely​ a hobby, IMO.

oh, I'll count sport stuff then too. ISU volleyball and NASCAR.

don't pee yourself laughing - are you due any day now? At least it's been a nice mild summer for being pregnant.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
So many...

Old cars, specifically Fords. Like my '55 Fairlane. Also have an '89 GT 5.0 Mustang I special ordered way back then. Red w/white leather interior and 5 Speed. Just turned 31,000 miles this year. I keep thinking I should get a new one since they're so much more powerful and refined, but driving the '89 is just a blast.

Records and music. Love old 45's moreso than LPs. So much music was produced and released by local and regional acts that never were popular enough to have albums made. A local company could take a chance on a 45 but the cost of producing an LP with cover, etc was a cost prohibitive risk most would only take with really popular local or regional acts. Specifically now I'm looking at Iowa acts/pressings. Love to find obscure stuff and bore/torture my friends by playing it for them to see if they get as excited about a "new" find as I do. They never ever do, but I still do. Also music related items (posters, radio surveys) but only 1972 and back.

Have/had a Pepsi collection. Something my brother and I used to do together. Everyone else did coke, so we decided Pepsi. Our dad was a Pepsi man, so we were raised to think a bottle of Pepsi was just about the best treat we could ever have. I've downsized it some but still have a lot.

Related to above. Pop/soda drinking glasses. Vintage-ish. These are harder to get.

Also branched out into Hull Pottery.

The larger glass (milk glass usually) kitchen type salt and pepper shakers. Not the fancy ones or the novelty/shaped ones. The ones that were just utilitarian.

I used to help a friend at flea markets and the collecting bug sort of creeps up on you when you're around it. Being there in the set-up before the general public allows you to sometimes find some real bargains.

Also like to ride my maxi-scooter (Yamaha Majesty) 400 cc. (Not your little brother's scooter!)

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Golf............costs, hmmmmm. Well my bill is usually 700-$1100 / month, depending on how many cocktails, tournaments or meals the family eats. But golf is an expensive but I enjoy it and it is a good networking deal (so helps with work).

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
I do a lot of woodworking in my spare time. I've made workbenches, tables, swings, coffee tables, toy boxes etc.

Depending on the project it can cost around 200 each time plus tool maint.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Golf, but is it considered a hobby if I plan to play professionally on the senior tour in 6 years? I'm a 15 handicap now, so I only have a little work to get there. :wink: Way to effing expensive!

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Sports - Good rotation with playing Basketball in winter months and Volleyball, Softball, Tennis, and Golf in summer months.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron