What is your experience-Tempur-Pedic, foam, vs "regular" mattress?

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Wife and I had pillow top mattress. Needed a new mattress. Decided to tryout Tempur-Pedic mattress. Tempur-Pedic really good for tummy sleepers. Not great for love making since there are no springs (mattress is all foam) in a Tempur-Pedic. My wife didn't like it because she is so small and light the foam barely conformed to her. If you try jumping into bed, it feels like if you do a belly flop into a pool. Good for posture.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I have a latex mattress - it's similar feel to memory foam - and I love it. I don't plan on going back to a spring mattress. I think the main differences between latex and memory foam are that the latex is firmer and stays cooler.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Had a tempur pedic for 3 years now. I thought 3k was way too much to spend on a mattress. Now, I think it's one of the best investments ever. It really hasn't caved in, still in really good shape.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I think this is where we bought from. http://www.sleepez.com/catalog/inde...o/21/page/3/osCsid/2ml87vgmcb0btuic9pf41fnk57 I'm 6'3" and 280 pounds and this thing has been great. It's starting to develop a dip, but I bet we've had it for 6 or 7 years. The cool thing is that my side of the bed has four different layers of this foam, and my wife has different ones on her side. If I want it a little stiffer, the mattress, I swap out a stiffer layer with the top.

When we bought, my wife called down and got the owner of the company. He recommended what we got. She was very impressed, and that's not an easy task.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I have had a TempurPedic for almost 10 years. Besides our first home, it was the first "big" thing the wife and I bought together. It is still a great mattress. I have to disagree with the first reply though, a bit. I think it sucks for stomach/tummy sleepers. You can do different things with pillow arrangements to make tummy sleeper better, but I do think a regular, POS spring bed is better for it.

It is fantastic for side and back sleepers though.

A ***** to move...

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
We've had a Select Comfort for ~15 years now. LOVE it. Turns out we are diabolical opposite when it comes to mattress firmness preference.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I have had a TempurPedic for almost 10 years. Besides our first home, it was the first "big" thing the wife and I bought together. It is still a great mattress. I have to disagree with the first reply though, a bit. I think it sucks for stomach/tummy sleepers. You can do different things with pillow arrangements to make tummy sleeper better, but I do think a regular, POS spring bed is better for it.

It is fantastic for side and back sleepers though.

A ***** to move...
Weight? I need a new mattress and was thinking of getting one of the "cloud" ones or whatever the softest one they have is, but my bedroom is on the 3rd floor. Might be moving next spring, so could probably make it another few months. TIA.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Mixed results on that type of mattress. Been on a very firm mattress and some that are more willing to form around the body. It is a different type of feel that will really depend on the individual.

I bought an iComfort mat with an adjustable bed. I adjust the bed to allow me to sleep slightly sitting up with my legs raised

....or basically like an old person

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Weight? I need a new mattress and was thinking of getting one of the "cloud" ones or whatever the softest one they have is, but my bedroom is on the 3rd floor. Might be moving next spring, so could probably make it another few months. TIA.

Latex, memory, etc is terribly heavy. We will have 8 of those bastards to move in a couple weeks. I may try the vacuum bag systems to transport them. That's how they are shipped.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have a tempur pedic and I don't think I would spend that much again. I sleep on my stomach and my arm will fall asleep if I lay on it. It also gets hot in the summer. With that said, I think it's good for my back. When I come back from a long vacation I can tell my back hurts less after a few days on the tempur pedic.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Latex, memory, etc is terribly heavy. We will have 8 of those bastards to move in a couple weeks. I may try the vacuum bag systems to transport them. That's how they are shipped.

Bought a knock-off temper mattress and it lasted about 3 years. Bought the real deal - NOT the expensive but the Tempur Cloud 6-7 years ago and have never been happier with a purchase.

Tried the sleep # but didn't do it for me.

If you do try a real tempurpedic, give the firmer ones a chance outside of a few minutes in the showroom.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Yep, they are heavy. They are also flimsy, which means "dead" weight. You won't have a problem negotiating corners or anything, not matter what size you have, because you can bend them very easily, but heavy they are.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Bought a knock-off temper mattress and it lasted about 3 years. Bought the real deal - NOT the expensive but the Tempur Cloud 6-7 years ago and have never been happier with a purchase.

Tried the sleep # but didn't do it for me.

If you do try a real tempurpedic, give the firmer ones a chance outside of a few minutes in the showroom.
? What are you saying here?

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I've had a firm cheap mattress and a 3" memory foam pad om top for about 5 years now. Couldn't be happier with the results of that combo

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron