I need a locksmith......

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
So I have this friend that needs to change the locks on a house. What's the best way to do it? Do locksmiths rekey the locks? Do you have to buy new locks themselves? How much would you expect to pay and any recommendations?

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
So I have this friend that needs to change the locks on a house. What's the best way to do it? Do locksmiths rekey the locks? Do you have to buy new locks themselves? How much would you expect to pay and any recommendations?

I'm not all that experience, but I think it'd depend on the house and what kind of locks you have. I had a newly built house a while back, and just bought 3 new locksets keyed the same, but if it's an older house, yeah, I think they can just re-key the existing.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm not all that experience, but I think it'd depend on the house and what kind of locks you have. I had a newly built house a while back, and just bought 3 new locksets keyed the same, but if it's an older house, yeah, I think they can just re-key the existing.

I paid under $100 to have four locks re keyed 4 years ago.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Depends on the locks, you could probably get them all rekeyed at Menards for free or cheap if they're the same.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Just go to Menards and get new locks to install, $25 a piece.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Just go to Menards and get new locks to install, $25 a piece.

You can get them re locked for the same price, if not cheaper. Then you don't have to have three or four separate keys to your house, you can have one key that unlocks every door.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
You can get them re locked for the same price, if not cheaper. Then you don't have to have three or four separate keys to your house, you can have one key that unlocks every door.

I would think you can get the locks re-keyed at Menards so they use the same key. I bought new locks for my house when we moved and Lowes did it for free.

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
Related question, any suggestions for a locksmith in polk county? The last time I called one of the bigger ads out of the yellow pages some guy showed up in my driveway and he asked to borrow my screwdriver so he could get the job done. It was a little creepy.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Related question, any suggestions for a locksmith in polk county? The last time I called one of the bigger ads out of the yellow pages some guy showed up in my driveway and he asked to borrow my screwdriver so he could get the job done. It was a little creepy.

I used Mikes Lock and Key out of Ankeny. He did a good job and was fast.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
You can get them re keyed for the same price or cheaper and don't have to lift a finger other than dialing the phone for it.

Unless you don't know a reputable locksmith, then you can end up with this:

Not saying he shouldn't find a locksmith, just throwing out options. When I bought a 2 pack of same key entry door lock sets, it wasn't much, and I didn't have to wonder if I was getting a reputable guy, since I got them from Lowes.

JerseyGirl

Jun 12, 2013
Central Iowa
In Polk County I have used Security Lock, personally and professionally. They are located on SE 14th and travel all around the metro.