Xbox 360 v xbox one

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
We have had an original wii forever but I'm considering buying an xbox. My kid is killing me for one of course. We are far from serious gamers for sure. Funny thing my kid keeps saying he wants the xbox 360. He's 8 years old. I however tend to err towards the higher end with such purchases to hopefully stretch the lifespan of it to hopefully avoid quickly becoming obsolete. I'm looking for any insight on whether I should just take the xbox one or if the 360 would do it. Thoughts? I'll hang up and listen.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
360's are a lot cheaper than the One. I just got a One probably 3 weeks ago and I think it's great. There's not a lot of great games out right now so that's something to think about. There's gonna be some released later this year though. If you've looked into it, maybe you've seen that the One is more of an entertainment system. I'd recommend not getting the One with Kinect unless your son and you would want to play those types of games. I didn't have Kinect with my 360 so I was more than happy to save the $100 by getting the One without it.

I played my 360 for many years. Well actually a few 360s because a couple of them had problems. It was a lot of fun and there's lot of good games out for it of course.

Let me know if have any other questions.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
I have both and I would say get the 360
the box1 is ~$250 more, it doesn't have much games for it yet and there is still a lot of bugs.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Xbox 360's are now considered last generation consoles. They will be obsolete in a year or so as far as games are concerned. Xbox One's are more expensive because they are the current generation of consoles. If you buy him a 360, he will be wanting the Xbox one by this time next year so you might as well get the One now. I don't know for sure as I don't own an Xbox One, but I believe you can play any 360 game on the Xbox One also. Someone with better knowledge would have better insight.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
For an eight year old, get the xbox 360. When he is twelve to fourteen get the next generation xbox.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
Xbox 360's are now considered last generation consoles. They will be obsolete in a year or so as far as games are concerned. Xbox One's are more expensive because they are the current generation of consoles. If you buy him a 360, he will be wanting the Xbox one by this time next year so you might as well get the One now. I don't know for sure as I don't own an Xbox One, but I believe you can play any 360 game on the Xbox One also. Someone with better knowledge would have better insight.
Negative. No backwards compatibility.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Don't buy an Xbox One for an 8 year old kid. Get the 360 now and be ready to drop the big money on whatever comes after the One/PS4 in four years.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Don't buy an Xbox One for an 8 year old kid. Get the 360 now and be ready to drop the big money on whatever comes after the One/PS4 in four years.

New consoles are probably ten years down the road. Definitely get the one. It may not have a ton of games but it has enough. Besides are you really gonna buy games that are old enough to not be on the new ones.

I really don't see any benefit to buying a 360.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
New consoles are probably ten years down the road. Definitely get the one. It may not have a ton of games but it has enough. Besides are you really gonna buy games that are old enough to not be on the new ones.

I really don't see any benefit to buying a 360.
Someone will be out with the next generation in four or five years and then others will follow. Just look at track record in last 30 years. They are talking about chips equivalent to a brain from IBM under development. They make their money by coming out with new....

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
If you are going to get the xbox1 I would wait a month or 2, that's when the games will start coming out.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
If you are going to get the xbox1 I would wait a month or 2, that's when the games will start coming out.
I don't see the point in waiting though. Unless there's going to be a small price drop during the holidays, there's no reason to wait if there's at least one game out there you want.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The upside to the 360 is the console is pretty cheap, the library is huge and the games can be had for not much money in most cases by buying used. I think the 8 year old would probably get more enjoyment out of the 360 just because there would be so many more games that he could actually play.

The Xbox1 and the PS4 are still very early in their life cycle so the games just aren't there yet, there are some great ones, but there's just not a huge catalog yet. If you don't care about being on the cutting edge and just want a good system with good games I'd get the 360 for him.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Someone will be out with the next generation in four or five years and then others will follow. Just look at track record in last 30 years. They are talking about chips equivalent to a brain from IBM under development. They make their money by coming out with new....

If anything, console lifespans are getting longer. The 360/PS3 came out around 2005/2006, so about a ten year lifespan. The fact that better technology exists really doesn't change much; that has always been the case.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If anything, console lifespans are getting longer. The 360/PS3 came out around 2004/2005, so about a ten year lifespan. The fact that better technology exists really doesn't change much; that has always been the case.

I agree, and developers would not like the platforms changing that quickly. Chasing technology would be a bad business model.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
To the OP though, I would ask what type of games your son likes? Are there particular games he's really excited about? I would echo what other people have said, I have a One and its great, but there aren't a ton of games out yet. That will change a lot in the next 12 months.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron