Anyone else get a kick out of amendment right activist videos?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmDFjdJhTmE

This guy is totally exercising his rights, but at the same time comes off as a huge d-bag when all the cops are trying to do is their job. Either way, for some reason I can't stop watching these types of videos.

"You're not wrong Walter, you're just an *******!" comes to mind.

It's not against the law to be an *******, but now those cops are going to be in a bad/pissy mood, which will come down on someone else.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah, the first time I watched it I had the mindset of "wow these cops won't leave him alone, he knows his rights."

The second time, I thought to myself it did seem like odd behavior. The guy obviously only did that to get attention and cause a scene. Not to mention take time away from the cops who could be doing better things with their time.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Yeah, the first time I watched it I had the mindset of "wow these cops won't leave him alone, he knows his rights."

The second time, I thought to myself it did seem like odd behavior. The guy obviously only did that to get attention and cause a scene. Not to mention take time away from the cops who could be doing better things with their time.

I agree. He's less interested in protecting/flaunting his rights than he is getting YouTube views.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012

Yeah, just because something is legal doesn't mean you won't be called out on it. Walking around a police campus filming with no prior consent is definitely suspicious. They handled it with extreme professionalism.

And let's be honest, we live in America. You can safely give a cop your name and address and not be worried he is gonna show up in the middle of the night and beat the **** out of you.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmDFjdJhTmE

This guy is totally exercising his rights, but at the same time comes off as a huge d-bag when all the cops are trying to do is their job. Either way, for some reason I can't stop watching these types of videos.

I wonder how P. Barnes would have handled that situation?

[video=youtube;RfVbiefMdNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVbiefMdNU[/video]

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As someone who has worked in several public facilities where we are responsible for the protection of the public I have many times stopped someone who appears to be taking video or still pictures for no discernable reason. I have done this both where security was part of my purview and when I didn't have security as part of my job. Every since Murrah, we all realized we have to be much more careful. It is irresponsible to not check things out when something suspicious is observed; thousands of lives could be in the balance.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
While I agree his purpose there was to get this reaction if the cops were performing their job appropriately he wouldn't have been able to get this reaction. The way the video was obtained doesn't really change the fact that the police weren't acting appropriately.

What the police need to realize is they are here to protect and serve. That means a much better way would have been to ask if they could help him find what he was looking for. Then when he said what he was doing and he didn't need help they should have left him alone.

I can't remember exactly but when that boy scout thing came up a month or so ago I saw an ACLU guide on where filming was allowed and if I remember correctly it says that they believe all public land can be filmed.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I wonder how P. Barnes would have handled that situation?

[video=youtube;RfVbiefMdNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfVbiefMdNU[/video]

Interesting video....what's your take on it Janny?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
While I agree his purpose there was to get this reaction if the cops were performing their job appropriately he wouldn't have been able to get this reaction. The way the video was obtained doesn't really change the fact that the police weren't acting appropriately.

What the police need to realize is they are here to protect and serve. That means a much better way would have been to ask if they could help him find what he was looking for. Then when he said what he was doing and he didn't need help they should have left him alone.

I can't remember exactly but when that boy scout thing came up a month or so ago I saw an ACLU guide on where filming was allowed and if I remember correctly it says that they believe all public land can be filmed.

I think as long as it's a two party state? Some states you have to have consent of the person you're filming. Of course I admit, I know little about the law besides what I read in books/watch on TV.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think as long as it's a two party state? Some states you have to have consent of the person you're filming. Of course I admit, I know little about the law besides what I read in books/watch on TV.
https://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers

Heres the link. I guess I don't really know either, but he wasn't interfering with them doing their jobs and he wasn't committing a crime as far as I know.

My biggest problem is if they would have just asked if he needed help or left him alone then there wouldn't have been a video and he wouldn't have done anything to harm anyone.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Security didn't want to ask the difficult question about suspicious activity including photography of a building and parking garage here too.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
They take a real problem and make people view it as almost satire. It desensitizes people when they see "oppressed people being dicks for no reason."

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I think Sovereign Citizens are dip****s of the highest order.

I wonder how many of those ******** refer to themselves as patriots when it's convenient to their cause..... or how many would claim states rights when THAT suits their needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Not impressed with either of the two "cameramen". Their efforts are not "journalism", all they're doing is "gotcha!" you-tube crap.

...but a bunch of yahoos with guns and grudges against the police and other authority figures are going to watch these videos and say "YUP...'MURICA!!!".

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010

And they were trying to protect and serve the individuals in/on the property from potential harm from someone acting suspiciously. Forgive me for thinking a lot of people that act like this guy give off more of an air of trying to hide something than being honest.