NCAA gives more autonomy to power 5 conferences

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Big 12 would surely get out-voted on the topic of whether a championship game is required for the playoffs if that's able to be voted on.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Since each school in each conference gets one vote I have a few question.

Can conferences kick out or bring in members however they want? Could the ACC "stack the deck" and bring in 25 more schools and have multiple ACC divisions?

How do independent schools factor into this? Does Notre Dame not get a say in rule changes because they are not part of the new structure?

How does this impact non-football conference sports?

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
slippery slope

the NCAA didn't really have a choice. The power 5 conferences were going to have autonomy one way or another.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Really? Student athletes get a vote? Bad, bad idea.

Say goodbye to college athletics (especially football) as you know it.

Say hello to athlete salaries, unions, strikes, and all of the wonderful ******** that professional sports have had to deal with.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Say hello to athlete salaries, unions, strikes, and all of the wonderful ******** that professional sports have had to deal with.

But do I get NCAA basketball and football on my next-gen console????

Then it's all worth it

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I'd like to see the non power 5 schools quit scheduling the power 5 schools. I'm sure that won't happen because they can use the paydays but it would be fun to see how low the bowl eligibility requirements would go if there were only 30 big conference teams with 6 wins.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

At least it will save me a lot of donation money each year.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I've said it all along - we need college football the way it was and minor league football for players who want to make money.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I suddenly like college football even less. The latest round of conference realignment was the beginning of the end. This is just the next step.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I suddenly like college football even less. The latest round of conference realignment was the beginning of the end. This is just the next step.

Yeah, I am getting that way anymore. It has gone from my school, to my team. I don't feel the connection anymore. The escalation of $$$ is going to get worse and worse and leave fans out in the cold. I have said it before, if tailgating were not so great, I would just watch the games on TV.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
IMHO, losing viewers is probably a good thing if the goal is to get spending under control. If the goose stops laying golden eggs, things might have a chance to normalize.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
IMHO, losing viewers is probably a good thing if the goal is to get spending under control. If the goose stops laying golden eggs, things might have a chance to normalize.

...which is where the magic of merchandising revenue comes in and saves the day!

Clayton Custer cereal, anyone?

1526_3.jpg

Oct 14, 2007
Ames

At some point things might normalize, but I don't think there will be much of a drop-off. The fan bases that really drive the bus aren't going to become less fanatical. Especially if the playoffs expand to eight. While there aren't very many programs that can realistically shoot for a top four finish, there are plenty who can aim for the top eight. If that happens, the money won't decrease, it will expand.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
At some point things might normalize, but I don't think there will be much of a drop-off. The fan bases that really drive the bus aren't going to become less fanatical. Especially if the playoffs expand to eight. While there aren't very many programs that can realistically shoot for a top four finish, there are plenty who can aim for the top eight. If that happens, the money won't decrease, it will expand.

Maybe there are 30 who can aim for the top 8, but I don't think there would be more than that. More than likely, it'll just be like the very first video games with college sports where there are only 16 options.

Reactions: roundball

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

I was thinking about this earlier. It could very well help to normalize things. But, the problem is that there are still some FBS ADs that could survive total loss of their Tier 1 and 2 TV money and probably still function. ISU would not be one of those.

Just throwing out some numbers...ISU makes about $62,000,000 (about $23,000,000 from conference revenue, which is comprised mostly of Tier 1 and Tier 2 TV), so we could use $60,000,000 as a lower limit for a "functioning" Power 5 AD. If you look at the ESPN database, and subtract out conference revenue from total revenue, there are still about 35 schools that would have more than $60,000,000 in revenue, and a handful more in the upper $50,000,000s that might hang on. These schools have big ticket sales and donor income.

The question would be whether these 35 would break away to form an elite league, or relax the minimum participation requirements so that sports could be cut at the schools who are more dependent on TV revenue.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Change is the natural way of things and will always happen. So nearly everyone hates the NCAA or thinks they are a joke but breaking away from that is bad? Hmm..