Bill Synder cuts loose

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
"Snyder also complained that society placed way too much value on the wearing of neck jewelry, and how necklaces pose a significant hazard when he attempts to feed. "You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to remove even the thinnest gold chain when it's stuck between your teeth," Snyder lamented, "Not to mention the spiked dog collars that some of these Emo kids are wearing. And garlic? Don't even get me started! These days people are bathing in the stuff."

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
"Snyder also complained that society placed way too much value on the wearing of neck jewelry, and how necklaces pose a significant hazard when he attempts to feed. "You wouldn't believe how difficult it is to remove even the thinnest gold chain when it's stuck between your teeth," Snyder lamented, "Not to mention the spiked dog collars that some of these Emo kids are wearing. And garlic? Don't even get me started! These days people are bathing in the stuff."

"Snyder also said he dies a little inside every time a player thanks God by making the sign of the cross."

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I completely agree with him. But it's too late. These stadiums are built with bonds and loans and coaches contracts are set. You can't just turn around and go back. College football is the NFL's minor league.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Well Bill, if it really bothers you, you could go coach at Drake or Simpson. They still play on Saturdays, and you could have a little office, and a smaller salary, etc. Somehow I don't think he is willing to give up his share of the gravy....

He does have a point, that the money is getting out of control for some of the schools and others are just trying to stay up to survive.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I agree with him, but at the same time he knows KSU has to keep up in the arms race.

Really not excited about this autonomy deal....ISU is bottom of the barrel in the power 5 and the big boys are going to make rules that benefit those with a huge cashflow.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Well Bill, if it really bothers you, you could go coach at Drake or Simpson. They still play on Saturdays, and you could have a little office, and a smaller salary, etc. Somehow I don't think he is willing to give up his share of the gravy....

He does have a point, that the money is getting out of control for some of the schools and others are just trying to stay up to survive.

Because he is going to leave the school he has coached at forever and a day just to make a point? He is accepting the money and the change because he knows he has to keep up with the big dogs if K-state wants to be successful.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE

This. I agree with the concept of what he is saying but listening to a guy who has gotten very, very wealthy of off college football tell me that college football spending is out of control is a little humorous to me.

Aren't you essentially the biggest sell out of all if you acknowledge the selling out and then keep cashing your paychecks?

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
a2a2ccbb7d27d33cfc351043cd720f38e554d9b826e27f7e9d5ae3fb816f63a9.jpg

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Bill could not cash his paycheck.

What exactly would be the point of Snyder not cashing his paycheck or taking no pay, other than being some kind of useless symbolic gesture? It's not like KSU is going to take that money out the college athletics machine and donate it to charity; that money would just be spent on something else inside of the KSU AD.

I don't know what Snyder does with his money, but maybe he does donate alot to charity, and if that is the case, IMO he's doing more good with that money than leaving it in the KSU AD. Many coaches do donate alot to charity. And others don't...

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
What exactly would be the point of Snyder not cashing his paycheck or taking no pay, other than being some kind of useless symbolic gesture? It's not like KSU is going to take that money out the college athletics machine and donate it to charity; that money would just be spent on something else inside of the KSU AD.

I don't know what Snyder does with his money, but may he does donate alot to charity, and if that is the case IMO he's doing more good with that money than leaving in the KSU AD. Many coaches do donate alot to charity.
You have no ground to stand on as far as complaining about the way thing is fundamentally set up, when you are an integral part in the thing you're complaining against.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I don't know what Snyder does with his money, but maybe he does donate alot to charity, and if that is the case, IMO he's doing more good with that money than leaving in the KSU AD. Many coaches do donate alot to charity. And others don't...

Yeah I hate those types of arguments...that if someone doesn't like a rule they're required to act at a higher standard while their competition uses it over them as an advantage. You can advocate for something to be changed without penalizing yourself against others and not be a hypocrite. Happens more regularly in the cave but it's always silly when people suggest this idea.

If there's anywhere I do think you call out Snyder it's his comments about the student athlete/education and the type of players he turned around KSU with...let's just say he wasn't competing with Northwestern for any recruits. He was a trend setter and out in front the way he built those teams, it's not like he set the trend for coaches being well paid.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You have no ground to stand on as far as complaining about the way thing is fundamentally set up, when you are an integral part in the thing you're complaining against.

So...you are saying that people within an organization who see problems in that organization should never say anything to bring attention to those problems? How will change be affected if the issues aren't brought to light and discussed?

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
So...you are saying that people within an organization who see problems in that organization should never say anything to bring attention to those problems? How will change be affected if the issues aren't discussed?

I think he is saying that Bill himself is a part of the problem. He has made a living, to the tune of over 2 million per year (which could be more), off of the exact thing that he is complaining about. Just seems silly.

He may see it as someone with an inside perspective lending credence to the argument but to some outside observers it makes him look like a hypocrite.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If CPR said this you guys would be drooling and calling him a saint. But I guess Bill Snyders "get rich quick" scheme of finding the worst job in his field, then hanging around for a few decades in route to that payday is pretty transparent.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So...you are saying that people within an organization who see problems in that organization should never say anything to bring attention to those problems? How will change be affected if the issues aren't brought to light and discussed?

It'd be like Snowden saying the stuff he did, and nothing changing(because let's be honest nothing in the NCAA is going to change) and then continuing to work at the NSA.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It'd be like Snowden saying the stuff he did, and nothing changing(because let's be honest nothing in the NCAA is going to change) and then continuing to work at the NSA.

99% of the time I agree with Rabbuk and I have had my share of disagreement with JBH...but I agree with him here.

Where I see it most often is taxes. Some politician will advocate for a tax increase...and people act as if he's a hypocrite if he just doesn't hand over more taxes voluntarily. The person thinks it's better overall for a huge part of society to contribute more tax dollars and would gladly be part of that but not as a generally meaningless individual token donation, doesn't make them a hypocrite at all to think that way.

With Snyder I don't think he was some leader or cause of skyrocketing coaches pay, I do think he was perhaps a leader in the 'do anything to get athletes to campus regardless of the type of student they are'...but even then he's acting within the rules and wouldn't be a hypocrite if he wanted to change the very rule he was taking advantage of.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I've been thinking about this quite abit.

Theoretically, there is a limited amount of talent available for College football. With these new rules, the big 5 conferences will have a HUGE advantage to recruit these kids as they will be able to pay a 'Stipend'. From a selfish point of view, that means that recruits that we were competing with for the old big East schools, or the old CUSA schools will have no chance to beat us out on the recruiting trail.

ISU may get pummelled in the recruiting wars by the traditional powers, but we will inevitably be getting higher quality recruits relative than we were because any school outside the power 5 won't have much of a chance.

This ultimately will mean that there should be much better parity among the power 5 conferences, BUT...at the expense of a much lower product for non-power 5 football schools. Is this good for CFB? I don't think so. I feel terrible for the UCONNs, and the Cincinatti's, and the Boise States. Its crazy.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
If CPR said this you guys would be drooling and calling him a saint. But I guess Bill Snyders "get rich quick" scheme of finding the worst job in his field, then hanging around for a few decades in route to that payday is pretty transparent.

No, I would call him out as a hypocrite, because that is what he would be. Absolutely no one has benefited from the cash cow that college athletics are than the coaches.