Team USA (only college players)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
This article has niang in it.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...sa-look-like-if-it-only-used-college-players/

If you had to make a lineup what would it look like? Mine might look like

PG. Marcus Paige - UNC
SG. Juwan Staten - WVU
SF. Georges Niang - ISU
PF. Montrezl Harrell - Louisville
C. Cliff Alexander - KU

Bench

G. Marcus Foster - KSU
G. Tyus Jones - DUKE
F. Myles Turner - TEXAS
C. Frank Kaminsky - WISCONSIN

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I get that Paige is good, but I don't think he's nationally top 5 good like everyone says.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Monte Morris
Bryce Dejean Jones
Dustin Hogue
Georges Niang
Jameel McKay

Bench:
Naz Long
Abdel Nader
Matt Thomas
Clayton Custer
SDW
Edozie

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...sa-look-like-if-it-only-used-college-players/

PG. Marcus Paige - UNC
SG. Juwan Staten - WVU
SF. Georges Niang - ISU
C. Cliff Alexander - KU

Bench

G. Marcus Foster - KSU
G. Tyus Jones - DUKE
F. Myles Turner - TEXAS

Move Kaminsky to the starting 5... Dude is a matchup nightmare. He and Niang on the court at the same time? Forget about it...

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha

PG. Marcus Paige - UNC
SG. Juwan Staten - WVU
SF. Georges Niang - ISU
C. Cliff Alexander - KU

Bench

G. Marcus Foster - KSU
G. Tyus Jones - DUKE
F. Myles Turner - TEXAS

Take Cliff Alexander out of the starting lineup and replace him with Kaminsky. Also, remove Jones and get another SG. Too many PGs and not enough shooters. And replace Turner with Jahlil Okafor. Okafor is much better than Turner.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Why are American sports the only ones that have a problem with their players playing in international games? Look at the World Cup of Soccer. Those players get paid more than most of the players in American sports and you don't see their owners ******** and moaning. Why is it fair for the college teams to assume all the risk?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Why are American sports the only ones that have a problem with their players playing in international games? Look at the World Cup of Soccer. Those players get paid more than most of the players in American sports and you don't see their owners ******** and moaning. Why is it fair for the college teams to assume all the risk?

I have a feeling if Americans put Olympic/FIBA basketball at the same level soccer fans put the World Cup we wouldn't give a crap either. If you could transplant the passion for NFL playoffs and college football to international basketball far fewer players, fans, coaches and owners would care about injury risks or fatigue.

I'll be interested a few decades from now as other countries continue to improve, it's not a total laugher like when the Dream Team formed, but it's still quite a stacked deck for the USA to win all olympic/fiba stuff compared to the balance of competition for world cup soccer.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I have a feeling if Americans put Olympic/FIBA basketball at the same level soccer fans put the World Cup we wouldn't give a crap either. If you could transplant the passion for NFL playoffs and college football to international basketball far fewer players, fans, coaches and owners would care about injury risks or fatigue.

I'll be interested a few decades from now as other countries continue to improve, it's not a total laugher like when the Dream Team formed, but it's still quite a stacked deck for the USA to win all olympic/fiba stuff compared to the balance of competition for world cup soccer.

It's not just basketball though, you hear it in hockey and baseball too. US Owners seems uncapable of seeing the big picture, that the more people that are interested in the sport, here or abroad the more money in it for them. Healthy international competition only improves that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's not just basketball though, you hear it in hockey and baseball too. US Owners seems uncapable of seeing the big picture, that the more people that are interested in the sport, here or abroad the more money in it for them. Healthy international competition only improves that.

Agree somewhat but you still have a situation where world series/stanley cup >>> international crown

International soccer fans, players and coaches care about EPL/Serie A/La Liga but <<<<< World Cup

If the Stanley Cup was a lesser achievement compared to the winter olympics attitudes would change

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I don't think any NBA teams are talking about keeping their players out of international competition so I am not really worried about it. Media members just got wound up after George's injury. As for baseball and hockey, there really isn't an established, prestigious international competition with a tradition that is seen as a big deal so there's really nothing to get revved up about. MLB and the MLBPA are the organizations that proposed the World Baseball Classic, but I refuse to watch it since it basically ran baseball and softball out of the Olympics and I don't want to watch the US get whipped by a bunch of dinky little countries that should have no business beating us in anything.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

See: Paul George's leg.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

Actually, there are several top club owners and managers in Europe who don't like their players taking part in the world cup and all the games it entails. Problem is that the world cup is so big an event that it doesn't matter.