Cedar Rapids Cyclones Ride to Games

KCMOCy

Jun 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids, IA
We have a tailgate bus (48 passenger, but we cap the number at 15) with currently 7 people of all ages on it and room for more. Wondering if anyone would be interested. We leave from northern Cedar Rapids and allow plenty of time for tailgating. Also, we come back the same day/night. Bus has a bathroom on it, so no need to stop. Let me know if you're interested. Price is $150/person for a one-season ownership share in the LLC. The $150 includes a ride to and from all the home games and includes gas, game day parking fees and insurance. BYOB for tailgating on the bus on the way over and back. We also have a gas grill and generator. Message me if you're interested.

Last edited:

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
That's awesome! I'll keep this in mind - we usually go to a couple games each year.

We just moved here about a year ago, and we have ZERO Cyclone friends in CR area.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Damn, that's a pretty good deal. $150 for the whole season?! You can't hardly buy a single game parking pass with gas to and from CR for that. I'd be all over that if I lived in CR.

KCMOCy

Jun 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids, IA
Damn, that's a pretty good deal. $150 for the whole season?! You can't hardly buy a single game parking pass with gas to and from CR for that. I'd be all over that if I lived in CR.

Haha yeah. Not trying to make a profit. Just break even or not be so far into the hole.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just a friendly word of warning. The Iowa DOT enforcement was out pulling over buses left and right on RAGBRAI. They were checking for driver's CDL's, safety compliance and making sure if the bus is registered as an RV that it fully qualified as an RV. We have one of the best buses on RAGBRAI (a coach, not a school bus) which our friendly officer acknowledged as well as CDL licensed drivers but we still ended up with a list of warnings that we need to get rectified. I could see them starting the same thing around tailgating buses. Note that you cannot register as an RV and charge someone for a ride. Depending on your policy if you charge you may also nullify your insurance coverage.

Just thought you might want to know.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Just a friendly word of warning. The Iowa DOT enforcement was out pulling over buses left and right on RAGBRAI. They were checking for driver's CDL's, safety compliance and making sure if the bus is registered as an RV that it fully qualified as an RV. We have one of the best buses on RAGBRAI (a coach, not a school bus) which our friendly officer acknowledged as well as CDL licensed drivers but we still ended up with a list of warnings that we need to get rectified. I could see them starting the same thing around tailgating buses. Note that you cannot register as an RV and charge someone for a ride. Depending on your policy if you charge you may also nullify your insurance coverage.

Just thought you might want to know.

This ... double check what you are wanting to do ... and make adjustments for your offer. Maybe free ride with all the pretzels you can eat for $30?

-keep

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The buying a share in the LLC seems like an odd way to do it. Why not call it rent and you just retain the LLC for yourself? I wouldn't want to complicate it with 15 different "owners" of the LLC.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
The buying a share in the LLC seems like an odd way to do it. Why not call it rent and you just retain the LLC for yourself? I wouldn't want to complicate it with 15 different "owners" of the LLC.

It could be how they get around the insurance issue.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Yup sounds like he is just charging dues to be members of the llc and one of the membership perks is the bus for use for tailgating.

I will have to keep this in mind as I travel over to games from CR by myself every time.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
We have a tailgate bus (48 passenger, but we cap the number at 15) with currently 7 people of all ages on it and room for more. Wondering if anyone would be interested. We leave from northern Cedar Rapids and allow plenty of time for tailgating. Also, we come back the same day/night. Bus has a bathroom on it, so no need to stop. Let me know if you're interested. Price is $150/person for a one-season ownership share in the LLC. The $150 includes a ride to and from all the home games and includes gas, game day parking fees and insurance. BYOB for tailgating on the bus on the way over and back. We also have a gas grill and generator. Message me if you're interested.

I'd be interested, but probably just on a game by game basis, as I have a baby boy due any day now.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
That's awesome! I'll keep this in mind - we usually go to a couple games each year.

We just moved here about a year ago, and we have ZERO Cyclone friends in CR area.

Try attending "Cy's after 5" at Daniel Arthurs near downtown. Next on is Aug 21st at 5PM. Informal gathering of Iowa State fans. No formal program just mingle and introduce yourself.
https://www.isualum.org/en/events/events_calendar/

KCMOCy

Jun 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids, IA
Also might be interested in a game by game situation. If you're going to offer that at all. Might be too complicated to keep track of all the changes week-by-week.

Season riders would make it easier, but we aren't opposed to game by game. Message me if there are any games you have in mind.

SolonCy

Aug 23, 2008
We are interested in the full season rides, so interested in more details. Where will you leave from in CR? Is there plenty of room to bring our supplies for tailgating?

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I am only in CR for the semester on an internship but I must say the idea seems perfect for those who do live in the area. I am curious though, how bad is traffic on game day weekends? I am concerned that the two lane stretch of H-30 is going to be unbearable.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I am only in CR for the semester on an internship but I must say the idea seems perfect for those who do live in the area. I am curious though, how bad is traffic on game day weekends? I am concerned that the two lane stretch of H-30 is going to be unbearable.

I used to live in CR and drive to Ames a lot. That stretch of road definitely blows but if anything would make it bearable it would be road tripping it with a bunch of Cyclone fans.

KCMOCy

Jun 20, 2011
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sorry, wasn't on CF this weekend. To answer some of your questions, we leave from the northern side of Cedar Rapids and have an email list where we agree upon a departure time. The bus has enough room for everyone's stuff. The most we have had on it is 15 + the driver and even with everyone's items we were still able to get to the bathroom (which is a must).

The traffic isn't much of a concern since the bus can only get up to 60 mph on a downhill. So, we are usually the one's getting passed. It takes us right at 2 hours to get to Ames.