The downfall of Radio Shack

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Now just a shack. Times have changed. One more chain depending on sales of smart phones.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There's just nothing that they do, that someone else doesn't do cheaper or faster.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The Internet >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
(you get the idea)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Radio Shack

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
Sames pretty true of best buy.

Word. Going into Best Buy used to be like a kid in a candy store for me. Now I can't remember the last time I was in one and I probably buy more tech stuff now than ever.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sames pretty true of best buy.

They're experiencing some ups and downs, for sure. But, they're a lot more diversified than Radio Shack, as far as what they sell. That helps.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Word. Going into Best Buy used to be like a kid in a candy store for me. Now I can't remember the last time I was in one and I probably buy more tech stuff now than ever.
agreed. i stopped in yesterday, because I had to quickly replace a broken piece of equipment for work, and it occurred to me that I hadn't stepped foot inside a Best Buy in over a year. I used to go almost weekly.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
BestBuy is in a similar boat ... but they have tried to survive by adapting, it'll just be a bit longer before they throw in the towel.

My worry is this will create a 'pop' of the retail real-estate bubble.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
BestBuy is in a similar boat ... but they have tried to survive by adapting, it'll just be a bit longer before they throw in the towel.

Don't worry. There's always a 99 Cent store ready to step in. Seems like every vacant retail space of any size is soaked up by places that sell cheap spatulas

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Don't worry. There's always a 99 Cent store ready to step in. Seems like every vacant retail space of any size is soaked up by places that sell cheap spatulas

[video=youtube;2XbCWmY0eqY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbCWmY0eqY[/video]

Reactions: CycloneErik

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

What do you mean by a "pop". If you mean a decrease in new retail construction, I don't think that will really happen. All these big box chains are obsessed with consistent layouts and control over their buildings. For most of your biggest chains it's just easier to build new than to try and re-purpose an existing store. So from a new construction aspect, I don't think it will be much of a factor. The real problem will be all these towns that were thrilled to get a Best Buy when they were at their peak now getting stuck with an empty shell that is near impossible to get sold or leased.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
They're experiencing some ups and downs, for sure. But, they're a lot more diversified than Radio Shack, as far as what they sell. That helps.
I think one of their problems is that they are diversified and not specialized in anything, I can just go on Amazon and get anything best buy can offer. For cheaper

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I think one of their problems is that they are diversified and not specialized in anything, I can just go on Amazon and get anything best buy can offer. For cheaper
I'm convinced the only time anyone actually buys something from Best Buy is when they have a Best Buy gift card to spend.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
What do you mean by a "pop". If you mean a decrease in new retail construction, I don't think that will really happen. All these big box chains are obsessed with consistent layouts and control over their buildings. For most of your biggest chains it's just easier to build new than to try and re-purpose an existing store. So from a new construction aspect, I don't think it will be much of a factor. The real problem will be all these towns that were thrilled to get a Best Buy when they were at their peak now getting stuck with an empty shell that is near impossible to get sold or leased.

Yeah, I don't think "bubble" is the right term, as most commercial and retail real estate has been in the toilet since 2008. A glut of vacant buildings is a more apt description.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

That's true, but there are plenty of people who aren't comfortable ordering larger items, like big televisions and appliances online. Radio Shack didn't really have anything like that. Literally everything in their store was much easier to get online.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
I'm convinced the only time anyone actually buys something from Best Buy is when they have a Best Buy gift card to spend.

Grandma got you it for Christmas because nobody could explain to her how to get on Amazon.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
That's true, but there are plenty of people who aren't comfortable ordering larger items, like big televisions and appliances online. Radio Shack didn't really have anything like that. Literally everything in their store was much easier to get online.

I only order small things from Amazon, because I worry about larger items getting stuck in the Internet's tubes while they're being delivered.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Just about every time I go into Best Buy, they don't have the item I need and tell me that I can just find it on their website and it can be shipped. Well, if I can find it on their website, I can find it on just about any tech website, so I stopped going there and am more of an online guy myself.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron