Justin Madison and Alton Meeks

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Justin is listed at DE instead of LB on the current roster. Alton Meeks who was rumored to be switching to DE is still listed at LB.

Can any insiders confirm?

Last edited:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Re: Justin Madison

I suppose this is why he bulked up to 212#? :smile:

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Wasn't Justin Madison rumored to be in the Nickel spot or is that someone else?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I believe Trey Scott predicted this a few weeks ago on scout. That he would be an edge defender/rusher.

I would guess he would come in when we move Irving to DT and go for a speed rush in pass rushing situations.

There is a chance I am confused with Justin Webster, but he is still listed as a LB.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Wasn't Justin Madison rumored to be in the Nickel spot or is that someone else?

That was Mills at Syrie. Madison was/is at WLB, although he played DE in High School, and seemed to be recruited mostly as a DE. I'd take a Willie Scott 2.0. I think their size and background is fairly similar.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Re: Justin Madison

I suppose this is why he bulked up to 212#? :smile:

Which is about what Jason Berryman played at as a true frosh.

Of course, where Madison is listed at, doesn't really matter, since he'll be sitting out the Spring with an ACL.

And Meeks is indeed at MLB.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Bump for Meeks. Currently listed #1 at MLB on the pre-fall camp depth chart. Big responsibility as a redshirt freshman, so I took another look at his rivals page. Dude had a LOT of GOOD offers. Anyone feel free to refresh my memory, but did we get a steal because he broke his leg & other schools cooled? We had to pull him away from Cincinnati...

https://rivals.yahoo.com/iowastate/...eeks-125231;_ylt=AidBtbQyO2lewuzO_wwfptWesJB4

Here's hoping he can make an instant impact.

upstateclone

Sep 26, 2013
South Cackalacky
Bump for Meeks. Currently listed #1 at MLB on the pre-fall camp depth chart. Big responsibility as a redshirt freshman, so I took another look at his rivals page. Dude had a LOT of GOOD offers. Anyone feel free to refresh my memory, but did we get a steal because he broke his leg & other schools cooled? We had to pull him away from Cincinnati...

https://rivals.yahoo.com/iowastate/...eeks-125231;_ylt=AidBtbQyO2lewuzO_wwfptWesJB4

Justin Webster? They switched him to running back from LB.

Apr 19, 2006
Justin is listed at DE instead of LB on the current roster. Alton Meeks who was rumored to be switching to DE is still listed at LB.

Can any insiders confirm?

I think Meeks will stay at MLB. We really haven't had a big Mike since Dobbins have we? He will be a run stopper.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

I believe Cincinnati offered him as a QB if I'm not mistaken.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
That is quite the list hopefully he lives up to it. That being said I can't imagine he won't Wally has a pretty good track record with linebackers.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Meeks will stay at linebacker unless Seeley or Harris take the job immediately this fall. Madison will just finished his redshirt year, and will probably bulk up a lot in the future, or play a role as a rusher where he can keep his current weight.

UncleCy

Jan 14, 2013

I think you are spot on. He was going to Cincy as a QB, and I think most of the big-name offers were as a LB. The Cincy coaching staff left for Tennessee, and Meeks broke his leg his senior year. That has to leave a kid in a tough spot late in the recruiting cycle, and we wound up with a pretty darn good athlete. Plus, remember he was an EE, so he's had 2 springs and summers with Yancy and Wally. He was probably slowed down last year recovering from that leg injury, but I look for him to be a stud now that he's back to 100%.