Blame Bruce for the current football scheduling

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Dump the Iowa game. It's just holding the program back, what benefits it had are now gone and needs to be dropped.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Wasn't our SOS in the 40's or something like that last year? Shouldn't be a whole lot different this year. Guess I don't need to do any blaming.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I'm one of the biggest BVDV detractors out there, but how exactly is this his fault?

The one example cited (SJSU) was scheduled by Pollard. The fact we're playing UNI six more times in the next nine years was scheduled by Pollard.

The headline of the article doesn't match up with its content. Yeah, teams we're playing now were scheduled by Bruce, but the only one that has really bit us was Utah in 2010, and we ended up canceling the second game due to scheduling difficulties for both schools.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Dump the Iowa game. It's just holding the program back, what benefits it had are now gone and needs to be dropped.

How is a game that ISU has won 40% of the time in the last 10 seasons, 53% in the last 15, holding the program back?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
How is a game that ISU has won 40% of the time in the last 10 seasons, 53% in the last 15, holding the program back?
Wow just over half we should be so proud!

Dump Iowa, find someone to beat up on and get that percentage into the 90s and we have one more win pretty much every year. When you can just barely scratch 6 wins a season as it is to get to a no name bowl you have to do whatever it takes to get there. ISU is not doing that by taking a 50/50 chance against Iowa when you have the B12 schedule that we can't yet compete in.

Need Ws folks.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield

Would we have made a bowl game in 2010 if we had played Georgia St. instead of Iowa? Yes - we would have. Will we win this year? No. Could that make a difference in playing in a bowl? Yes.

It's time ISU stops falling back on late 90's and early 00's records against Iowa. We've lost that game more times than not in the last several years and at best it will be a 50/50 game. We need a 90/10 game in the non conference. It has nothing to do with it being Iowa. ISU just simply can't afford playing a BCS level team in the non con...especially one it has to play on the road every other year. There is a reason that no other teams in ISU's boat does that.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012

How exactly is playing another power 5 program "holding us back"? How about we stop complaining about playing strong teams and put on our big boy pants.

obligatory: "ITS DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL!! IT'S THE BIG 12!!!"

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Wow just over half we should be so proud!

Dump Iowa, find someone to beat up on and get that percentage into the 90s and we have one more win pretty much every year. When you can just barely scratch 6 wins a season as it is to get to a no name bowl you have to do whatever it takes to get there. ISU is not doing that by taking a 50/50 chance against Iowa when you have the B12 schedule that we can't yet compete in.

Need Ws folks.

Got it, so let drop by far the most popular thing in this State to get one more win.

Would we have made a bowl game in 2010 if we had played Georgia St. instead of Iowa? Yes - we would have. Will we win this year? No. Could that make a difference in playing in a bowl? Yes.

It's time ISU stops falling back on late 90's and early 00's records against Iowa. We've lost that game more times than not in the last several years and at best it will be a 50/50 game. We need a 90/10 game in the non conference. It has nothing to do with it being Iowa. ISU just simply can't afford playing a BCS level team in the non con...especially one it has to play on the road every other year. There is a reason that no other teams in ISU's boat does that.

Are you kidding me? You understand that 90% of the Big 12 is playing one of their non-con games against a team from another power 5 conference this year, don't you?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Georgia State was FCS in 2010 so we would not have been bowl eligible with 2 of our 6 wins coming against FCS schools.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Got it, so let drop by far the most popular thing in this State to get one more win.

In a post I had that was deleted I already pointed this out.

We have not been doing very well in FB. Even with that we are selling out, so yes, dump Iowa. If we can still make money and get a fluff win in will do more in the long run.

As I also said in a post that was deleted this probably can't happen because far too many people only care about the Iowa game and that old mentality IS holding us back at the moment.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would rather lose to Iowa half the time than beat Georgia State 95% of the time. It is just more fun and interesting. Period. It is good for the state, good for the Schools, good for the players, good for the fans.

We have a tough schedule, yes. Let's work on getting the wins with our Big 12 schedule and use the non-con as bonus wins.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I would rather lose to Iowa half the time than beat Georgia State 95% of the time. It is just more fun and interesting. Period. It is good for the state, good for the Schools, good for the players, good for the fans.

We have a tough schedule, yes. Let's work on getting the wins with our Big 12 schedule and use the non-con as bonus wins.

This. Also, the game experience ISU gets from playing Iowa is probably worth one win somewhere else down the road in conference play, so it probably equals out in the end. The mentality of those who want to dump Iowa is just dumb. Quit being *******. Whats next, lets join the MWC so ISU can finally have a 10 win season?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
This. Also, the game experience ISU gets from playing Iowa is probably worth one win somewhere else down the road in conference play, so it probably equals out in the end. The mentality of those who want to dump Iowa is just dumb. Quit being *******.
How is it dump to want a higher % win year in and year out???

If we were always getting 8+ wins a year I could see your argument for keeping the game. At this moment we can only control so much as Chris says in the article. Most of the schedule is out of our control.

Sign me up for more wins.

Maybe its because I live out of state but I don't really care who we play. It's time for more wins.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
How is it dump to want a higher % win year in and year out???

If we were always getting 8+ wins a year I could see your argument for keeping the game. At this moment we can only control so much as Chris says in the article. Most of the schedule is out of our control.

Sign me up for more wins.

Maybe its because I live out of state but I don't really care who we play.
It's time for more wins.

So you would be cool with joining the MWC?

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
So you would be cool with joining the MWC?
Meh, it wouldn't be my first pick.

I would rather we find a way to be more successful in the B12 first.
But it is laughable to think that taking a L in the non-con schedule is doing us any good right now when at best we are second or third from the bottom of the B12.