Good Idea to put Todd Sturdy as QB coach

WrestlerJJE

Feb 6, 2014
Ames, Iowa
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Was it a good idea to put Todd as QB coach? I mean I know messed up Mess. was the QB coach but wouldn't you want a new coach to come in if we are having so much problems with quarterbacks? I mean they could bring new ideas to the table. [/FONT]

WrestlerJJE

Feb 6, 2014
Ames, Iowa
Sturdy has a proven track record coaching at D1 level. Mess did not.

Plus Mangino.
I see what you mean. It will be interesting how this season will be. I hope there is improvement, I mean look at what we have. It is not like a Oklahoma or Texas offense but I believe that they can compete! hopefully...... :eek:

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't think it was Sturdy's idea to run the QBs 20+ times a game. It's one thing when it's Austen, another thing entirely with the QBs since. Wazzu had to start three different QBs due to injury and still ended with the 9th rated passing offense one season while Sturdy was OC/QB coach there. Maybe he can't improve the QBs, but he is probably qualified.

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
I don't think it was Sturdy's idea to run the QBs 20+ times a game. It's one thing when it's Austen, another thing entirely with the QBs since. Wazzu had to start three different QBs due to injury and still ended with the 9th rated passing offense one season while Sturdy was OC/QB coach there. Maybe he can't improve the QBs, but he is probably qualified.

I'd say if your unable to improve the QB your probably not qualified to coach the position.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Was it a good idea to put Todd as QB coach? I mean I know messed up Mess. was the QB coach but wouldn't you want a new coach to come in if we are having so much problems with quarterbacks? I mean they could bring new ideas to the table.

Was it a good idea? Yes.

Mess messed stuff up? Yes.

Problems with QB? Have a different coach, even if it is an internal move.

New ideas? See: Mark Mangino.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Everyone blames Mess for everything! Absolutely no one else had anything to do with the dumpster fire that was last season!

WrestlerJJE

Feb 6, 2014
Ames, Iowa
Everyone blames Mess for everything! Absolutely no one else had anything to do with the dumpster fire that was last season!
ummmm..... did you see the offense last season??? Messingham was in charge of everything! Indeed there was a lot more too it then just Messingham but that is his JOB. He is suppose to take care of the situation. So yes, I do blame a lot on him because he had a lot of control over that offense hints the job title "offensive coordinator".

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think an argument could be made that Sturdy is more qualified to be our head coach than CPR.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Is there any one other person more responsible for the offense last year than Messingham? No.
Maybe Rhoads for giving him responsibility in the first place and then not taking it away till the season was over.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Maybe Rhoads for giving him responsibility in the first place and then not taking it away till the season was over.

Yes but I think CPRs faith in him was less damning than him just not being good enough at his job.

WrestlerJJE

Feb 6, 2014
Ames, Iowa
Maybe but If you took Mess. out of position then you have to replace him which he was doing 2 spots (QB and Coordinator). It would have made matters worse. Paul was stuck in a rock and a hard place with last season. Very very difficult situation.