Question for Kansas fans (Basketball)

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
What are you expectations for this years team, and more specifically, your incoming freshman (Alexander, Oubre, Graham, and the Ukrainian kid). Please no trolling or complaining from posters about Tuco or the other KU posters; I would really like an actual conversation about this.

ZachsterPoke

Jan 4, 2010
What are you expectations for this years team, and more specifically, your incoming freshman (Alexander, Oubre, Graham, and the Ukrainian kid). Please no trolling or complaining from posters about Tuco or the other KU posters; I would really like an actual conversation about this.
You want actual conversation, and you come to Cyclone Fanatic?

Last edited:

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
I'll give this a shot.

From Cliff Alexander, I'm hoping to get maybe 25 minutes a game of above average big man play that can sometimes flash elite. I assume he'll play the five almost exclusively (Perry Ellis basically can't play anything but four), and that he'll struggle at times, and probably get himself in foul trouble too, but that he'll probably also have some moments where he'll just be a beast on both ends. I'm really interested to watch how he develops, just because you so rarely see guys succeed with that body - I think he's around 6'7" in socks, 250 lbs. - period, let alone guys without many perimeter skills. I'm just not sure I see a Top 5 pick there. But back to college, where he was ranked #2 on that best players list from thebiglead.com that recently came out. That, frankly, seems crazy high to me. When I tried to come up with Preseason Big 12 teams the other day, I struggled with where to place him, but ended up putting him Third Team.

From there, things only get less certain for me with the freshmen. It's hard for me to project guard minutes, because there's seven guys there that could all play 20+ minutes, and thus a guy or two is getting left out.

Let's start with Devonte Graham. He's a prep school kid who had a weird recruitment, and there was some real excitement when everything worked out for him, thinking he could come in and stabilize a PG position that has been rocky the last couple years. And just because he's older, he may have a chance to be better right away than Mason or Frankamp were last year, but now that those two guys are sophomores, I expect them to have the edge on Graham. So, at least for year one, my expectations here are pretty low. I'll be plenty happy, even if he only gets spot minutes, if he can keep his man out of the paint a little bit and not turn the ball over much.

With Sviatoslov Mykhailiuk, much like ISU and Tsalmpouris, it's really hard to know what to expect. It seems he's got a chance to be a very nice player, a great shooter with size and some decent defensive instincts, but the kid just turned 17 a month ago. I've heard some really glowing reports on him, but for now I'm just keeping a "I'll believe it when I see it" mindset. If he can, as a 17 year old, give KU 10-15 minutes a game of B12-average wing play, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Oubre, I think, has a chance to be a really special player. He's LONG - he has the same wingspan, 7'2", as Jeff Withey - and athletic, can shoot and attack, and has the potential to be a really good defender. But, again, I think it's going to take some time for everything to come together here. I'd expect 20-25 minutes a game on the wing that, by the end of the season, will be quite positive.

I only discussed freshmen above, but I think Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis will be the two best players over the course of the season, both 30+ minute guys who can push for First Team All-Big 12. But outside of those two, its hard to know exactly how the rotation will shake out, especially looking at the 1-2-3 spots, so it's kind of hard to have firm expectations for specific guys in those spots.

Overall, I think Kansas is again the favorite in the conference, but, obviously, is no guarantee to win. Texas looks scary up front and could surely win the league if Isaiah Taylor has a great season. ISU, as everyone here knows, could win the thing if they can win some road games and a few things break right. And OU, I suppose, has a chance if they learn to play some defense.

And finally, just to take this post all the way through - and I apologize for the length, but I wanted to answer the questions posed - I'll guess that KU will get a 2 seed and lose at some point before the Final Four.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'll give this a shot.

From Cliff Alexander, I'm hoping to get maybe 25 minutes a game of above average big man play that can sometimes flash elite. I assume he'll play the five almost exclusively (Perry Ellis basically can't play anything but four), and that he'll struggle at times, and probably get himself in foul trouble too, but that he'll probably also have some moments where he'll just be a beast on both ends. I'm really interested to watch how he develops, just because you so rarely see guys succeed with that body - I think he's around 6'7" in socks, 250 lbs. - period, let alone guys without many perimeter skills. I'm just not sure I see a Top 5 pick there. But back to college, where he was ranked #2 on that best players list from thebiglead.com that recently came out. That, frankly, seems crazy high to me. When I tried to come up with Preseason Big 12 teams the other day, I struggled with where to place him, but ended up putting him Third Team.

From there, things only get less certain for me with the freshmen. It's hard for me to project guard minutes, because there's seven guys there that could all play 20+ minutes, and thus a guy or two is getting left out.

Let's start with Devonte Graham. He's a prep school kid who had a weird recruitment, and there was some real excitement when everything worked out for him, thinking he could come in and stabilize a PG position that has been rocky the last couple years. And just because he's older, he may have a chance to be better right away than Mason or Frankamp were last year, but now that those two guys are sophomores, I expect them to have the edge on Graham. So, at least for year one, my expectations here are pretty low. I'll be plenty happy, even if he only gets spot minutes, if he can keep his man out of the paint a little bit and not turn the ball over much.

With Sviatoslov Mykhailiuk, much like ISU and Tsalmpouris, it's really hard to know what to expect. It seems he's got a chance to be a very nice player, a great shooter with size and some decent defensive instincts, but the kid just turned 17 a month ago. I've heard some really glowing reports on him, but for now I'm just keeping a "I'll believe it when I see it" mindset. If he can, as a 17 year old, give KU 10-15 minutes a game of B12-average wing play, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Oubre, I think, has a chance to be a really special player. He's LONG - he has the same wingspan, 7'2", as Jeff Withey - and athletic, can shoot and attack, and has the potential to be a really good defender. But, again, I think it's going to take some time for everything to come together here. I'd expect 20-25 minutes a game on the wing that, by the end of the season, will be quite positive.

I only discussed freshmen above, but I think Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis will be the two best players over the course of the season, both 30+ minute guys who can push for First Team All-Big 12. But outside of those two, its hard to know exactly how the rotation will shake out, especially looking at the 1-2-3 spots, so it's kind of hard to have firm expectations for specific guys in those spots.

Overall, I think Kansas is again the favorite in the conference, but, obviously, is no guarantee to win. Texas looks scary up front and could surely win the league if Isaiah Taylor has a great season. ISU, as everyone here knows, could win the thing if they can win some road games and a few things break right. And OU, I suppose, has a chance if they learn to play some defense.

And finally, just to take this post all the way through - and I apologize for the length, but I wanted to answer the questions posed - I'll guess that KU will get a 2 seed and lose at some point before the Final Four.

Damn good post here. The last part, for me as a fan of all Big 12 teams come tournament time, is really starting to get annoying.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007

And ISU also gets a two seed and makes the final 4. But Kansas fans still scream supremacy because they won the regular season Big 12.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha

I expect both Alexander and Oubre to be starters and play to a 1st or 2nd team All Big 12 level. I worry about Big Cliff's defense and his stamina but he will be a bull on offense. If he can stay out of foul trouble he'll have a very good year and should eclipse Embiid's season averages from last year pretty easily.

Oubre is the guy I am most excited to see play. He has gotten rave reviews at every camp he's been to this summer and is another crazy long wing player that will be an excellent defender. I don't think he'll play as many minutes as Wiggins did last season since the rest of the team should be better overall on defense and because the drop off to Greene and Svi off the bench will not be as big as the drop off to Greene last year was. Self couldn't really take Wiggins out much last year because he was their only good perimeter defender and because Greene was king of lost in Year One.

I have no idea what to expect from Graham this year. He is the same age as Mason and Frankamp but with a year less college experience. He has better size for the position and better pure PG ability. There really is no combination of minutes spread between those three PGs that would surprise me. If we get anything productive out of him I'll be happy.

I have no expectations for Svi, either. He is rail thin and still only 17 years old so I would be surprised to see him average more than a few minutes a game. KU doesn't really need much from him with Oubre and Greene at that position. Maybe he'll see some minutes behind Selden at SG if he can play defense well enough. But I don't expect him to be an impact player at all next year.

I expect Hunter Mickelson to surprise a lot of people with his interior defense and rim protection. I think he'll be Cliff's primary back up at center and will block more shots on the season than Embiid did last year.

I expect Selden to take the role of leader on the team next year and be the attacking guard KU needs. He deferred to the experience of Tharpe and the talent of Wiggins last year. Look for that to change with both gone. He may not end up with the pure stats to be an All Big 12 1st/2nd team member but he will be one of the best overall players in the Big 12.

I expect Ellis to step up his game tremendously as well and also play to a 1st/2nd team All Big 12 level. He has been working hard on his outside shot and has also gotten quicker from what I have heard from summer camp reports. If he can make people play him outside and is quick enough to get around them if they overplay, he will be a tough cover and will open up the lane for Big Cliff to throw down some monster dunks.

For the team, I expect them to contend for the Big 12 title and to be a Top 2 seed in the tourney. How far they go is a crap shoot so dependent on other things that I have no more expectations than to get out of the first weekend. I do think they have enough talent and experience to make a deep run in the tourney. Hopefully the star align right and they play to their capabilities when it matters the most.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Thank you KUCyclone great post. Anyone else skip tuco's post? I'd seriously rather shoot myself in the head than read that.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

I don't know what the ceiling is for either of these guys, but based on highlights (I know, I know), the kid from Ukraine is ready to play from day one. GT won't playing any meaningful minutes this year at all.

Mykhailiuk looks very polished, and has a nasty fadeaway jumper for a (then) 16-year old. I mean, how many 16 year olds can even hit a fadeaway on a consistent basis? With the talent in the frontcourt that KU will put on the floor this year, when this kid is in the game, he's going to see a lot of open looks.

He might be a Drazen Petrovic type player. Doesn't get a ton of chances to show his talent early on, but once he peaks, look out.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron