Football weight lifting tidbit

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Heard from a birdie yesterday that when the Rhoads staff got to town, 12 players on the roster could squat 500 or more. This summer, 50 Cyclones have accomplished that feat.

Not sure that will equal wins or not but that's certainly encouraging.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It's kind of crazy how something like this seems to happen every time we get a new coach. Regardless, it seems to be a good sign, and I guess we haven't had that many new football coaches, so that's probably a little snarky.

Last edited:

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Great to hear - I hope this translates...

Last year we heard that it was the most talent and speed he had put on the field, and it was one of the worst season-performances. Sorry to be negative... I need the season to start and for some wins to happen.

Or just skip to basketball season.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
It's kind of crazy how something like this seems to happen every time we get a new coach. Regardless, it seems to be a good sign, and I guess we haven't had that many new football coaches, so that's probably a little snarky.

Agree. That's great and exciting news! However you are right, when DMac brought in Getty it was the best thing we could have done (although I believe he was names national S&C coach of the year once), and the sams with Gene and that guy he brought from TX who made Our team so much thinner and faster/stronger.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I'm going to believe this improvement happened since ISU now has a state of the art facility

It's a far cry from a dusty universal machine

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Heard from a birdie yesterday that when the Rhoads staff got to town, 12 players on the roster could squat 500 or more. This summer, 50 Cyclones have accomplished that feat.

Not sure that will equal wins or not but that's certainly encouraging.

That's the problem.......squats don't count in the W/L column

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Heard from a birdie yesterday that when the Rhoads staff got to town, 12 players on the roster could squat 500 or more.

That is an incredibly sad stat. When I was in HS we had probably half that number that could hit 500+. None of us went on to D-1 football even.

I remember under Chizik, we had the heaviest OL in the nation. Then Rhoads came in and basically said it was because they were fat, not strong. It looks like his staff is changing that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Last year we heard that it was the most talent and speed he had put on the field, and it was one of the worst season-performances. Sorry to be negative... I need the season to start and for some wins to happen.

One year it's "we need to be leaner and faster because we are slow and fat" and than it's "we need to be bigger and stronger" and than it's "we need to run the guys to death on the treadmill so they will be in better shape in the 4th".

We will know if any of this means "squat" come end of August.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
That is an incredibly sad stat. When I was in HS we had probably half that number that could hit 500+. None of us went on to D-1 football even.

I remember under Chizik, we had the heaviest OL in the nation. Then Rhoads came in and basically said it was because they were fat, not strong. It looks like his staff is changing that.

KO, Hicks, Haughton, Lamaak, and Alvarez? I think those guys were pretty strong, likely stronger than most OLs we have had at ISU.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

I think you got the talent thing wrong, but the speed part right. And that was true. Most of that speed is back this year. There were other circumstances that led to the team falling apart last year that are well documented but most of the debbie downers here just gloss over or ignore completely.

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
KO, Hicks, Haughton, Lamaak, and Alvarez? I think those guys were pretty strong, likely stronger than most OLs we have had at ISU.

It's been awhile, so I could have this wrong, but didn't Chizik say that we had a fat/slow team and he wanted to make everyone more tone, and cut a lot of weight. I remember Alvin Bowen saying it was the hardest thing he'd ever gone through but looked ripped before camp and had a monster year (admittedly the only one on our team who could tackle). And then CPR and Yancey came in and said we were too skinny and needed to bulk up for more of a fast paced smash mouth running offense.

Either way, I'm glad to see our guys improving! Love that we have guys who can bench 400 lbs and squat 500+. Hoping we can stay healthy and it produces on the field.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Hopefully doesnt lead to more often injured players that have stressed themselves to the max. I have no statistics on this however. Just not sure if that often equals success or not. I would say it doesnt.

UncleCy

Jan 14, 2013

I've seen an awful lot of high school kids who claim big squats. I would bet the vast majority of the 500-lb squatters on your high school team wouldn't hit a 400-lb squat in Yancy's book. If it isn't at least parallel, it doesn't count.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I've seen an awful lot of high school kids who claim big squats. I would bet the vast majority of the 500-lb squatters on your high school team wouldn't hit a 400-lb squat in Yancy's book. If it isn't at least parallel, it doesn't count.

I see your point, but I know our HS coach who "counted" squats, and he would 100% agree with your last sentence. He would sometimes make guys try 4 or 5 times before they got low enough for him.

My point's just that I am surprised by how weak our team was when Rhoads got here, using my HS team as a comparison.

HerkClone

Sep 20, 2012
^this.

It's also like all the HS kids claiming on highlight videos that they run a 4.4 40 yd dash yet they are going D3 at best.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Judging by the Yancy thread, this is how I envision blizzisu's reaction to a 500lb squat:

1107.gif

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I know the S&C programs are long-term investments. But I'm really ready for it to start paying some dividends. :twitcy:

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
Judging by the Yancy thread, this is how I envision blizzisu's reaction to a 500lb squat:

I'm not gonna lie, your obsession with my reaction is a bit creepy. :wideeyed:

In response though, I would consider the squat to be a much better indicator of performance on the football field than the bench press.

Here are some stats on some of the strongest players in D1 recently.

Mike Martin - DT - Michigan.
-Bench 505
-Squat 700
-Power Clean 430

Travis Frederick - OL - Wisconsin
-Bench 500
-Squat 770

Trent Richardson - RB - Alabama
-Bench 475
-Squat 600
-Power Clean 365

More stats found here: http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-top-10-strongest-college-football-players-arcl-1753.html

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron