tOSU Marching band...holy crap

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Any group of 300+ college kids is going to have some questionable decision making, but that is above and beyond.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I get that it's pretty descriptive subject matter, but is this much of a surprise? I mean, they're college kids. If I had a nickel for every person with a dirty nickname that I knew when i was in college... I wasn't in the band, but I had lots of friends that were, both at UNI and ISU. This seems right in line.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah that's a bit much.

We had some songs with choice words in them in the ISUCF'V'MB, but nothing ridiculously offensive. Nicknames weren't explicitly demeaning either.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Any group of 300+ college kids is going to have some questionable decision making, but that is above and beyond.

I dont think any of it is that bad. It just sounds like a bunch of horny nerds doing nerdy sexual things.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I get that it's pretty descriptive subject matter, but is this much of a surprise? I mean, they're college kids. If I had a nickel for every person with a dirty nickname that I knew when i was in college... I wasn't in the band, but I had lots of friends that were, both at UNI and ISU. This seems right in line.

Did you read the actual report? Like cyhiphopp said, it's not like none of these things ever happened at ISU, but there are definitely things that are way over the top documented there.

I also like the part where they completely gloss over that a staff member was in a relationship with a band member.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Holy crap? I thought that was the Notre Dame marching band? *rimshot*

Should I feel guilty for laughing at probably 80% of these nicknames?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Did you read the actual report? Like cyhiphopp said, it's not like none of these things ever happened at ISU, but there are definitely things that are way over the top documented there.

I also like the part where they completely gloss over that a staff member was in a relationship with a band member.

Admittedly, I just read the article and skimmed the report. What's the worse stuff?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Hahaha. I thought it was funny. Bunch of kids having fun is what it is. So they come up with stupid nicknames and so on. They are not hurting anyone. Just having fun.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I understand that in any group of college aged kids there are going to be isolate events like these happening, but if I understand the report correctly this was going on throughout the whole band. I laughed pretty hard at the "test" they gave rookies.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I did however forget the part where it's 2014 and people need to be offended or outraged at something. Last night on Inside Addition, the first three stories started out "People are outraged". Really because I don't really know anyone outraged right now.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE

Consenting adult with consenting adult. Won't somebody please think of the... adults!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I did however forget the part where it's 2014 and people need to be offended or outraged at something. Last night on Inside Addition, the first three stories started out "People are outraged". Really because I don't really know anyone outraged right now.

Yeah...kind of like the girl who is getting flamed for taking a selfie outside of Auschwitz. I still cannot figure out why anyone would be offended by that picture.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
All of that unforced sexual repression from being in band while growing up had to manifest somewhere.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron