Frat vs. Dorms

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
My son was recruited by a fraternity last night. He has to make his mind up by August 1st. Need some positives and negatives on both. PM me if you don't want to start a war over my concerns. He is a freshman this fall.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Frats cost more but, your son will likely have more encouragement to get better grades, get involved in extra activities, etc. You get none of that in dorms. Also, in a lot of cases you will have stronger network of relationships after college.

This is coming from someone who hated frats in college.

He has my blessing as long as it's not the PIKES!!! :jimlad:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Is this a serious question? just kidding.

From what I know: I did the dorms freshman year and absolutely loved it. My buddies were in a frat, and they seemed to enjoy it, however there were many times they couldn't get together and hang out or have free time due to frat obligations.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The yearly dorms v frats thread. Better grab some popcorn.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I'm 31 and attending my first semester at ISU this fall. Should I leave the wife and kid for a frat?

Reactions: Turfman77

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I lived in the dorms, and I really thrived with the individual freedom you were allowed. I got rough grades my first semester, and I learned, on my own, that I needed to improve to get where I wanted. So I did.

I'm a pretty independent individual, and the amount of external commitments, and planned social activities of fraternity life just weren't for me.

That said, in hindsight, I see value in the Greek system. I have some good friends who were part of it, and I can see how they benefited by having that increased structure and the opportunities that come with it. I think it comes down to whether you're more comfortable setting your own agenda, or working within the structure of an organization. We gave frats a lot of **** about "buying friends" and basically arranging sex without having to demonstrate male competence, but aside from all the bull ****, I think they serve a purpose, and I know a lot of good dudes who came through that system.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
I have never heard anybody say they disliked their choice of going with a frat or living in a dorm/apartment. Everybody seems very happy with the choice they made. So maybe both are good options?

And to the question of leaving the family for a frat. I would see if you can swing living with the family Sunday through Thursday afternoon and the frat the rest of the time.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I lived in the dorms, and I really thrived with the individual freedom you were allowed. I got rough grades my first semester, and I learned, on my own, that I needed to improve to get where I wanted. So I did.

I'm a pretty independent individual, and the amount of external commitments, and planned social activities of fraternity life just weren't for me.

That said, in hindsight, I see value in the Greek system. I have some good friends who were part of it, and I can see how they benefited by having that increased structure and the opportunities that come with it. I think it comes down to whether you're more comfortable setting your own agenda, or working within the structure of an organization. We gave frats a lot of **** about "buying friends" and basically arranging sex without having to demonstrate male competence, but aside from all the bull ****, I think they serve a purpose, and I know a lot of good dudes who came through that system.

Serious question. Shouldn't you be on a bicycle right now?

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm 31 and attending my first semester at ISU this fall. Should I leave the wife and kid for a frat?

images

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Do you think I like avoiding my wife and kids to hang out with 19 year old girls all day?

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
I was in a fraternity. It was great for me personally because it gave me an immediate group of 50 guys or so that I knew on campus. I might not have made those connections as easily if I were living in the dorms. There were some time commitments but as someone else pointed out we also had a scholarship chair who helped encouraged the young guys to study/get good grades etc. And 25 years later I still play golf every week with a guy I met my first day at the house (he was drinking beer out of his shoe -- what wasn't to like?)

It also provided some leadership opportunities both at the house and on campus.

My son is going to be a senior in high school this year and while I won't push him one way or another (dorm vs. fraternity) I will not be disappointed if he chooses to go the Greek route.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
My buddy and I used to 'pretend' we were interested in joining, so we'd get to hit up all the different parties. Then we turned 21, and didn't need them anymore.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Nailed it. I'd also add that if your son is a little shy or introverted he might be better off in frat where it will be easier to make new friends.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I was in a Frat and I loved it. Six of us still get together every year, over 30 years later.

But do your homework on the fraternities on campus. Some really do have serious hazing issues, and some really are mini animal houses.

Avoid those and the experience is great.

CyVeteran

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2006
I was in a Fraternity.....best four years of my life. There are pros and cons to both.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Put me in the crowd that went the dorm life. There I met and still hang out with 6-7 guys pretty regularly. It seemed to be a perfect storm of personalities since we all ended up living in the dorms again the next year as well as a big house on Lincoln way the last two years of school.

I echo Al's sentiment on how initially we ragged on frats pretty good and even convinced one of our buddies to quit Farm House. Looking back it may not be a bad idea to just try out to see if you like it. I know plenty of people, my girlfriend included, who tried the the Greek life at Iowa State for awhile and just found out it wasn't for them.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was a member of a fraternity at a different college, so I can't speak to Iowa State's Greek system but can tell you the pros and cons I experienced. The frat experience while in college certainly has it's ups and downs. I lived with many guys who I became very good friends with, but also had to endure living with several people I didn't care for. That was the biggest issue I had is having the concept of feigned "friendship" with people who were only "friends" by virtue of choosing to join the same fraternity as you. With that said, I do have several very close friends that I lived with there, and I've noticed we've seemed to stay in touch better than some of my non-fraternity friends seem to have with their college buddies.

I think the biggest value for me came after school with networking. You don't realize this when you join necessarily, but in joining a fraternity you join a huge network of professionals. My fraternity ties have helped me look for jobs, internships, etc., and it's an awesome too to have at your disposal when you leave school and even well beyond that when you are making moves in the professional world.

In all, it's an up and down experience. If I were starting college over today I have no doubt I'd join again.