Column: Paul Rhoads vows to keep things old school at Iowa State

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Great column, Chris.

I know it's fun to try to be like everyone else or have the "surprise" factor of what gear the guys could wear next week, but I respect Rhoads acknowledging it's not him and it'd be wrong to try and be something he's not.

I think Rhoads and his staff do A LOT of other things that make it fun to be a Cyclone. I'd hope a recruit would see all of that and not 'we didn't get to wear shiny helmets' when figuring out where they'll fit in best.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
“I can’t stand turning on a game and not knowing who the heck is playing,” Rhoads said.

I have the same problem when I'm watching the NFL Draft and I can't tell if they're showing ISU or USC.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
“I can’t stand turning on a game and not knowing who the heck is playing,” Rhoads said.

I have the same problem when I'm watching the NFL Draft and I can't tell if they're showing ISU or USC.
Here's a quick little trick you can use to determine if it's us or USC. It's USC.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Tradition and recognition are fine when you are the Alabamas, Penn States, and Notre Dames of the college football world. I think Rhoads needs to come to terms with the obstacles that are there for ISU and be willing to pull out all of the tricks in the book to get recruits here and for the average viewer to stop for a moment to watch an ISU game.

Because when I am flipping through games and I come across a Duke vs Wake Forest game, I am probably going to keep flipping. If one of them has a unique uniform though, I may pause for a bit to watch the game to see it better. And that team is also going to stick in my mind.

While I respect his stance, ISU doesn't have the luxury of having that stance.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I thought the uniform things was funny. Like uniforms are what would hurt our brand, not 3 win seasons. I don't really disagree with him or care but let's not pretend we are selling the winged helmet here.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Because when I am flipping through games and I come across a Duke vs Wake Forest game, I am probably going to keep flipping. If one of them has a unique uniform though, I may pause for a bit to watch the game to see it better. And that team is also going to stick in my mind.

I have never thought of this before but when Maryland came out with their double-image helmets I started watching a few of their games. I always stop on Oregon to see what combo they made for this week. I even watched some Baylor games to check out their unis last year. Great point!

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
I am on Paul's side on this. Could the uni's use a little work.... sure.

Paul is trying to preach hard work and consistency to his players. Trying to be the flashiest team on the field does not do that. It would mix the message.

Can wait till nike gets rid of the neon color stuff. What is with kids wearing high nike sock and sandals everywhere too?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I am on Paul's side on this. Could the uni's use a little work.... sure.

Paul is trying to preach hard work and consistency to his players. Trying to be the flashiest team on the field does not do that. It would mix the message.

Can wait till nike gets rid of the neon color stuff. What is with kids wearing high nike sock and sandals everywhere too?
And what's the deal with them being all over your lawn?

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
You can stand out and still respect tradition! The Jack Trice throwbacks are a perfect example.

Most "kids" see Iowa as a state with a bunch of corn and nothing else. We have the stand-out facilities, our coach stands out with his powerful speeches and emotion. Why not stand out on the field?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

I think it's to be different than their parents who grew up with a no-sock-and-sandal combo mentality. We never wore black socks growing up (unless with dress pants) and now it's the rage. I also see tons of socks with those vertical stripes on the back in the under-20 cohort.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Sorry, but trying to be a traditionalist at a school with no tradition seems asinine to me.

Exactly!

“Truthfully it probably hurts me,” Rhoads admitted about his traditional ways. “The players would love that and like anything else, it’s ‘ok we did it once and that was great.’ But you’ve damaged the tradition and the trademark and the brand and all of that.”

What tradition? What trademark? What brand?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I think it's to be different than their parents who grew up with a no-sock-and-sandal combo mentality. We never wore black socks growing up (unless with dress pants) and now it's the rage. I also see tons of socks with those vertical stripes on the back in the under-20 cohort.

I can't believe people pay $16 a pair for those socks