Dr. Carver's Shave Butter

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Anyone tried this?

Got a free sample in the mail and used it this morning. Kind of freaked me out because it doesn't lather up but seems to work OK. I can't say it works any better or worse than your average shaving cream.

Any thoughts from Fanatics?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
A lot better than canned cream. I like those little samples they send you to pack for work trips.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Why even shave? Just beard it up. A couple years ago I did "No Shave November" and I liked not shaving so much I have just kept it. Trim it up every 3-4 weeks and I am golden. Can't say I will ever go back to the baby face again.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Why even shave? Just beard it up. A couple years ago I did "No Shave November" and I liked not shaving so much I have just kept it. Trim it up every 3-4 weeks and I am golden. Can't say I will ever go back to the baby face again.

I shave about once a week. I can't ever get past the scratchy stage. Too irritating. Plus, when I don't shave, I break out like crazy.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I shave about once a week. I can't ever get past the scratchy stage. Too irritating. Plus, when I don't shave, I break out like crazy.

Jack Black Supreme Creme Triple is my #1 choice. Just a tiny dab and it lubes better than anything and lasts forever. I'm rotating with Dermalogica Invigorating Shave gel which while I like, it dispenses too quickly so won't last.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I have only ever used the cheap cans of Barbasol shaving cream. Never really had an issue although the responses here so far make me wonder if I am missing something.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I have only ever used the cheap cans of Barbasol shaving cream. Never really had an issue although the responses here so far make me wonder if I am missing something.

I used to be the same way, but there really is a major difference.

I use L'Occtaine shaving soap with a shaving brush. And I'm sure plenty of others here could give you tons of recommendations of what they use as well.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
A lot better than canned cream. I like those little samples they send you to pack for work trips.

What are you all talking about? Bar soap over can or gel shave cream? Strange. A good shave is about two other things anyway, 1- the razor, and 2- a warm face.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm wondering that too. My whole life I have used Gillette Gel and nothing else. I also shave my head twice a week and it seems to work just fine without problems.
Now I'm wondering if this shave butter is like shaving with a slice of Heaven?
Also, what does this butter cost?

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010

Sportin the neck beard?

Sterling4Cy

Nov 13, 2006
Anyone tried this?

Got a free sample in the mail and used it this morning. Kind of freaked me out because it doesn't lather up but seems to work OK. I can't say it works any better or worse than your average shaving cream.

Any thoughts from Fanatics?

Never used it but quit using that canned goo 2 years ago. Use Primarily Proraso, C.O. Bigelow or Van Der Hagen shaving soap. Whip it up with a boar hair brush and you'll never use the canned goo again.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
<---- Beard

But my hair looks like crap cause I needed to get it cut and was trying to time it with a presentation I had to give at work. Now I'm rocking the sexy flowing locks on both ends of my head.

Last edited:

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
I shave every day. Shaving is a giant money pit. I will go cheap on shaving cream but not razors.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'd be eternally grateful to anybody who can tell me how to consistently get a good lather with shaving soap and a brush. About one time out of 10 I get what I would consider a "lather". I'm about ready to give up.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'd be eternally grateful to anybody who can tell me how to consistently get a good lather with shaving soap and a brush. About one time out of 10 I get what I would consider a "lather". I'm about ready to give up.

I saturate my brush in water, let it briefly drip on the soap then, swirl the brush like crazy on the soap to get my lather?

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I shave every day. Shaving is a giant money pit. I will go cheap on shaving cream but not razors.

I don't shave every day, but it takes me about a year or longer to go through one thing of shaving soap. It costs about 10-15 bucks. I don't know how much you spend a year in shaving cream, but I bet you lose money when comparing to other soaps or butters.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I don't shave every day, but it takes me about a year or longer to go through one thing of shaving soap. It costs about 10-15 bucks. I don't know how much you spend a year in shaving cream, but I bet you lose money when comparing to other soaps or butters.
I dunno. I shave every day and a can of cream can last between a month and a month and a half (or maybe it just seems that way because I always end up with a stockpile of about 3-4 cans of the stuff). A can of barbasol costs about $1.50.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'm wondering that too. My whole life I have used Gillette Gel and nothing else. I also shave my head twice a week and it seems to work just fine without problems.
Now I'm wondering if this shave butter is like shaving with a slice of Heaven?
Also, what does this butter cost?

I think it is like $8 a bottle, which last me 2-3 months.