The Other Place in Ames

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Anyone else hear the scuttlebutt about The Other Place going in where Carlos O'Kelley's used to be? I've only been to The OP once in Clear Lake but I liked it. Anyone else hear this rumor, hopefully it's not like the Olive Garden rumor, or the Country Buffet rumor.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Not possible. The universe will not allow the OP and Great Plains to exist in the same city. There are rules about an abundance of riches and quite frankly, just not fair to the rest of us.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Good pizza and a good sports bar. A good sports bar is something Ames has needed forever.

Ames also needs some good pizza other than Great Plains. Jeff's specialty pizzas are good, but it depends on the crust. I've never been a big fan of Pizza Pit (I know, I know, but it's just so greasy). Old George's used to be my favorite in town, but it's long gone.

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Hopefully it's true, I hate to see buildings sit vacant for too long and Ames other popular pizza places would continue to do just fine with this addition imo.

Last edited:

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Ames also needs some good pizza other than Great Plains. Jeff's specialty pizzas are good, but it depends on the crust. I've never been a big fan of Pizza Pit (I know, I know, but it's just so greasy). Old George's used to be my favorite in town, but it's long gone.

Try Joe's. You might even spot a former Cyclone behind the counter. He's hard to miss.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I too have been told of the OP moving in to Carlos' old casa. Would be a great addition to Ames.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
The OP in Waverly and in Clive? are both very good. The roast beef au jus is incredible. And free popcorn.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Anyone else hear the scuttlebutt about The Other Place going in where Carlos O'Kelley's used to be? I've only been to The OP once in Clear Lake but I liked it. Anyone else hear this rumor, hopefully it's not like the Olive Garden rumor, or the Country Buffet rumor.

Talked to a fairly connected local businessman yesterday and he told me the same thing. Seems like it is going to happen.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Ames also needs some good pizza other than Great Plains.

For a city the size of Ames, it does very well with pizza of different varieties.

*Black Market - all kinds of toppings, deep dish
*Great Plains - Denver crust, extra cheese
*Jeff's - drunk food, great specialties
*Pizza Pit - really drunk food
*Joe's - New York style
*Vesuvius - sit-down restaurant

Not sure why anyone would choose one of the major chains in Ames (Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Dominos) for any reason other than price.

M2x1D

Apr 2, 2014

I enjoy Jeff's Pizza, especially the BBQ Chicken Bacon Ranch specialty. I only get it on Friday's when they have their "Friday Feast" 14" Specialty Pizza plus a 14" One Topping Pizza and a 2 Liter of soda for $26.95. Otherwise I find Jeff's to be a little more spendy than what I like. Always request it on hand-tossed crust. The thin crust doesn't fill you up enough. Also ALWAYS get cups of nacho cheese with Jeff's Pizza. Its life changing.

BBQ-Ranch-Chicken-Bacon-Pizza.jpg

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
For a city the size of Ames, it does very well with pizza of different varieties.

*Black Market - all kinds of toppings, deep dish
*Great Plains - Denver crust, extra cheese
*Jeff's - drunk food, great specialties
*Pizza Pit - really drunk food
*Joe's - New York style
*Vesuvius - sit-down restaurant

Not sure why anyone would choose one of the major chains in Ames (Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Dominos) for any reason other than price.

Dominos 5 5 5 deal was my go to freshman year.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I enjoy Jeff's Pizza, especially the BBQ Chicken Bacon Ranch specialty. I only get it on Friday's when they have their "Friday Feast" 14" Specialty Pizza plus a 14" One Topping Pizza and a 2 Liter of soda for $26.95. Otherwise I find Jeff's to be a little more spendy than what I like. Always request it on hand-tossed crust. The thin crust doesn't fill you up enough. Also ALWAYS get cups of nacho cheese with Jeff's Pizza. Its life changing.

BBQ-Ranch-Chicken-Bacon-Pizza.jpg

+1 for BBQ Chicken Bacon Ranch pizza from Jeff's, that **** is thoroughly good.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Dominos 5 5 5 deal was my go to freshman year.

They had a deal Monday through Thursday where you could get a large cheese pizza for 3.99 after 10pm. I used to work until 10, and I don't even want to know how many times I called them up and picked one up on my way home. I almost had them on speed dial. And that's back when their pizza was nasty, but that **** was cheaper than a value meal at McDonald's.