Need Advice: What to do with a 3rd bedroom

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
So I finally decided to take the big plunge a couple weeks ago and bought my first house. I'll be moving out of my 2 bedroom apartment into a nice 3 bed 2 bath in a good neighborhood on August 1st.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the 3rd bedroom. The second bedroom in my apartment is already a guest room with a queen sized bed, tables, etc. that I'll put in one of the new bedrooms. I live alone and don't entertain a ton of guests, so I'm not really interested in using the 3rd bedroom as an actual bedroom.

The obvious choice is to turn it into an office, but the house already comes with a built in office off the master bedroom. I plan on getting a new couch when I move in, so I'll have a reclining leather sofa that I'll either put in the 3rd bedroom or sell. The room is 11'x11' with a window on one wall and is carpeted. I attached a couple pics below, and yes, I do plan on re-painting it.

I know asking the internet for advice always yields the best results, so if you have any ideas as to what I can do with the space let me know!

Attachments

• 3rd bedroom1.jpg
    3rd bedroom1.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 90
  • 3rd bedroom2.jpg
    3rd bedroom2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 91

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Game room: Video games, pool table, foosball, etc...

Work out room: treadmill, free weights, etc..

If you play instruments, you could keep them in that room.

And if you can't think of anything you can just leave it empty for a while until you get settled in the house and figure it out then. Or just make it another guest room.

Last edited:

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Just don't do anything that can't quickly/easily/cheaply be made back into a bedroom.
One of the biggest mistakes people make in houses is getting rid of bedrooms because they don't need them at the time.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I remember when I lived in a two bedroom apartment with 1 kid and a wife.
Now I have 5 bedrooms and it feels like its not enough. Dang kids.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Get yourself a woman (I recommend starting in the produce section of the grocery store, means she probably cooks) and make some babies! :jimlad:

Otherwise I agree with 78, wait a while. Use it for a game room or storage. But like others have said, don't do something that makes it very difficult to eventually use as a bedroom.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Hot chicks room.

[video]http://on.cc.com/1tz2AvG[/video]

Video won't post into the message, but this skit from UCB is worth it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
So I finally decided to take the big plunge a couple weeks ago and bought my first house. I'll be moving out of my 2 bedroom apartment into a nice 3 bed 2 bath in a good neighborhood on August 1st.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the 3rd bedroom. The second bedroom in my apartment is already a guest room with a queen sized bed, tables, etc. that I'll put in one of the new bedrooms. I live alone and don't entertain a ton of guests, so I'm not really interested in using the 3rd bedroom as an actual bedroom.

The obvious choice is to turn it into an office, but the house already comes with a built in office off the master bedroom. I plan on getting a new couch when I move in, so I'll have a reclining leather sofa that I'll either put in the 3rd bedroom or sell. The room is 11'x11' with a window on one wall and is carpeted. I attached a couple pics below, and yes, I do plan on re-painting it.

I know asking the internet for advice always yields the best results, so if you have any ideas as to what I can do with the space let me know!

It wouldn't hurt to leave it empty until you realize what the best use would be. It's where you live, it's not like you need to make it a model home :smile:

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
Game room so your PS4 isn't in the living room?

FIFY

Now, the game room idea isn't bad, since I am a bit of a gamer. But my surround sound system will be in the living room and my PS doubles as my blu-ray player.

I haven't tossed any of my old gaming systems or games and they all still work (as far as I know), so maybe I could completely nerd the room out and turn it into a retro gaming hub.

sex dungeon, duh.

Yeah, but I then have to paint the room a way darker color to really set the mood. It'd be a pain to paint over again if I ever decide to re-purpose the room later like Cowgirl, 78 & MNClone recommended.

Also, I'm not sure how "sex dungeon" affects resale value. I'll have to check with my realtor.

Wrestling ring for settling house disputes.

I'll be sure to set up a Youtube account if I decide to do this so I can fulfill my lifelong dream of being insulted on Tosh.0.

Quality responses so far. Some good advice and humorous responses. Keep it up!

ISUser

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2009
Topeka, KS
Hookers and blow

If I wanted that I'd stay in my apartment. An apartment across from mine was dealing a ton of meth out of it and was raided by the cops. Everyone inside was arrested and kicked out. Part of the reason I decided to move.

Hot chicks room.

[video]http://on.cc.com/1tz2AvG[/video]

Video won't post into the message, but this skit from UCB is worth it.

Oh yeah, UCB!! Such an underrated show. But unfortunately hot chicks are at a premium in Topeka, KS.

Get yourself a woman (I recommend starting in the produce section of the grocery store, means she probably cooks) and make some babies! :jimlad:

Otherwise I agree with 78, wait a while. Use it for a game room or storage. But like others have said, don't do something that makes it very difficult to eventually use as a bedroom.

How much did my mother pay you to post that first part?

I know I could just leave the room empty, but for whatever reason it think it would bug me. I'd like to find someway to utilize it. I don't plan on doing anything so drastic that I couldn't make it another bedroom later. Who knows, maybe someday I do have that kid.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron