Memphis to hire dad of 3 elite basketball recruits

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
one thing that is different (I think anyway), is this dad is a HS head coach that is successful. He also has raised/trained three elite basketball recruits in his sons.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I understand the concept of bringing in this dad so his kids will follow, but I can't see how this wouldn't be awful for team chemistry.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This move may or may not be above board, but is there another sport as shady as basketball?

AAU squads and their coaches filtering players to teams, handlers, NBA guys refusing to report after trades (and then getting a payoff ), the one and done rule, etc

I could be wrong but my impression is there's a whole lot of room for shenanigans. (Probably true for all sports on some level)

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
one thing that is different (I think anyway), is this dad is a HS head coach that is successful. He also has raised/trained three elite basketball recruits in his sons.

Yeah, it definitely looks a little bit shady but I don't have a huge issue with it. The guy has a good track record and was being looked at by other schools already.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
At least his Dad played and coached basketball. And they didn't move his Dad from some random town. This one you can at least justify.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
What a terrible move by the dad. Using your kids to further your own career. As a father, I would think your primary goal would be to help your kids make the best decision for the basketball and personal futures. Now, you've put pressure on them to go to Memphis. I guess this isn't the first time a parent has used their children to advance their own career and fatten up their own wallet.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, it definitely looks a little bit shady but I don't have a huge issue with it. The guy has a good track record and was being looked at by other schools already.

That wouldn't make Memphis hiring him any less sleazy, since said other schools were likely after him for the same reason as Memphis was.

But, at least this is a justifiable hire even if you pretend he doesn't have 3 elite recruits living under his roof.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I remember a HS football coach in Arkansas that alot of people thought was only hired because he had good recruits playing for him... That worked out alrght. This guy seems perfectly qualified for the position. I have no issues at all with it.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
What a terrible move by the dad. Using your kids to further your own career. As a father, I would think your primary goal would be to help your kids make the best decision for the basketball and personal futures. Now, you've put pressure on them to go to Memphis. I guess this isn't the first time a parent has used their children to advance their own career and fatten up their own wallet.

There a plenty of benefits to being a coaches kid that his will get to enjoy. Should he not be a coach just bc he has kids who are athletes? Maybe having a better job will improve his kids lives? I really don't see anything wrong with this situation at all. You're basically saying its shady for ANY kid to play for a team their dad coaches .

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I remember a HS football coach in Arkansas that alot of people thought was only hired because he had good recruits playing for him... That worked out alrght. This guy seems perfectly qualified for the position. I have no issues at all with it.

Well, not for Arkansas. Worked for Auburn, though.