ESPN: 'If I ruled college hoops

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
They profile a picture of Nebraska's new venue? Those sorry-*** mbb fans with Creighton T-shirts worn under their Walmart Nebbie shirts?

Nebraska--who has never won an NCAA game----ever

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
They profile a picture of Nebraska's new venue? Those sorry-*** mbb fans with Creighton T-shirts worn under their Walmart Nebbie shirts?

Maybe in the past. Nebraska had quite the environment for games this year.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Outlawing Sweet Caroline? Get rid of this guy.

And also, I'm not the best with acoustics, but if you had the students in a ten row ring around the stadium as opposed to the two ends, wouldn't that make the noise dissipate as opposed to being louder in a concentrated area? Edit: this would be under the assumption that the student section is the only one making noise, as is somewhat implied.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Outlawing Sweet Caroline? Get rid of this guy.

And also, I'm not the best with acoustics, but if you had the students in a ten row ring around the stadium as opposed to the two ends, wouldn't that make the noise dissipate as opposed to being louder in a concentrated area? Edit: this would be under the assumption that the student section is the only one making noise, as is somewhat implied.

Having a ten row ring of students would make the old people have to stand more, and we know that old people can only stand for so long.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007

Their facility is top notch. If Miles stays there, he could be the Johnny Orr of NI basketball.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Nebraska has not won any game in the NCAA tournament -- ever. Repeat that to yourself a few times and see if what you contend still makes sense.

Prior to Johnny, ISU had gone 40 years without an NCAA appearance. In the 2 appearances they had up to 1944, they were 1-2. So ISU was 1-2 in the NCAA tournament prior to Johnny coming to Ames. With the exception of the Gary Thompson years, ISU spent almost 4 decades playing pretty bad basketball, finishing in the bottom half of the conference (Big 6, Big 7, then Big 8) most of the time.

In his 14 years at ISU, he made it to the NCAAs 6 times and won 3 of those games (two in the 85-86 season and one in the 91-92 season). He only finished in the top half of the conference 3 times (t-3rd in 84-85, 2nd in 85-86, t-2nd in 92-93) and he never won a Big 8 tournament. What Johnny did do was beat the big boys in Hilton. We played terrible on the road and lost to some bad teams, but we owned Hilton. His overall winning pct was 0.522, and his conf winning pct was 0.403. But he created excitement and demand by winning at home.

You think it would be impossible to do the same at Nebraska in today's Big 10?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'd probably start by getting rid of the AAU system.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
That Sweet Caroline comment had to be directed at us. I can't think of too many schools who play Sweet Caroline regularly like we do..but I love it! (unless we are losing..looking at you Jack Trice music person!)

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
From the sweet 16 on, no tourney locations will be south of North Carolina. The Final 4 will only be played in the Midwest or East Coast.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
That Sweet Caroline comment had to be directed at us. I can't think of too many schools who play Sweet Caroline regularly like we do..but I love it! (unless we are losing..looking at you Jack Trice music person!)

For MBB though I've only ever heard it played after big wins. And in that scenario it actually serves a purpose in calming everybody down after the big court rush. I don't think there's as much of a valid argument against how it's used in Hilton as there is at Jack Trice.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

You might want to go to a game now. It's, frankly, impressive.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Nebraska has not won any game in the NCAA tournament -- ever. Repeat that to yourself a few times and see if what you contend still makes sense.

What he stated has nothing to do with the past.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
What does tourney success have to do with the fact that Nebraska fans are amped up to have a new, beautiful arena and a new coach that is bringing much better basketball to the program? Nebraska has had some huge, court storm-worthy home wins over big teams in the last 2/3 years. I get the natural desire to bag on the neighbors to your west but you're making an issue out of nothing. they grabbed a stock photo of a court storming from last year and stuck it in the article. There likely wasn't more than five seconds of thought put into it. Let it go.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron