Five questions (Cyclones, Big 12) w/ an Athlon editor

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Love the Athlon Big 12 Preview magazine. These guys really do their homework.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I liked Athlon's point that ISU will be stronger toward the end of the year, after having learned the Mangino attack. That could be even more true for the defense, given few returning starters. As fans, we will have to watch for signs of progress in the early going, and keep that candle of hope aflame. The winds of November may just find this program in turnaround mode.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I also liked the fact that Athlon said our bowl hopes depends on how we do in the Iowa game. Didn't just right the game off as a loss as our friends in Iowa City want to do.

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014
I also liked the fact that Athlon said our bowl hopes depends on how we do in the Iowa game. Didn't just right the game off as a loss as our friends in Iowa City want to do.

Whenever an opposing team's coach is kf, that means you got a good chance to win that game.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Whenever an opposing team's coach is kf, that means you got a good chance to win that game.
Why do some of you guys feel a need to pollute a thread about ISU by talking about that other team?

Nice article, Chris. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that Athlon Big XII annual this year.

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014
Why do some of you guys feel a need to pollute a thread about ISU by talking about that other team?

Nice article, Chris. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that Athlon Big XII annual this year.

Because the guy I was responding to was referring to the Iowa-ISU game this year that was discussed in the article.

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014
Paul's seat should be hot at 4-8.

It would be if he was anywhere else. Since Jamie hired him, I think he's bullet proof through this year. Hope Paul is investing his money wisely. He'll never get a job that pays this well again.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
You can only sell hope so long, 4-8 would have his seat very hot for 2015.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Kevin Keitzman on Sports Radio 810WHB in KC thinks a 4-8 season for Paul this year is enough to fire him. I'm beginning to agree. Making excuses for this football program is getting really old.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
PR isn't going anywhere soon. Baring a disaster this year he has the next two years to return to a bowl game. Nobody is bulletproof but JP knows how long I takes to start over at Isu. I believe PR made some major upgrades in the staff and that will pay dividends in a couple years.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
PR isn't going anywhere soon. Baring a disaster this year he has the next two years to return to a bowl game. Nobody is bulletproof but JP knows how long I takes to start over at Isu. I believe PR made some major upgrades in the staff and that will pay dividends in a couple years.
In the end he may not have a say in it, if fans get disgruntled and not show up for a 61K seat stadium thats all it will take.

I hope so much for him to succeed since he is such a great guy, but he still has to win.

FreeBorn

Jul 3, 2014

Hope so!

The thing that concerns me is the lack of talent on both lines. I've both read and heard that winning in college football is 70% talent, 30% coaching. If that's true, I think it is, then you have your answer as to how this season will turn out.