Who would CFH chose

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008
If he could chose one former Cyclone to add to this year's team? My first thought would be Cato. A big shot blocker in the middle since he seems to have a lot of ball handling and shooting guards. But then I think how would he use him and since he does not shoot from the outside he does not fit the offense he has been running. Floyd ran a lot of so called junk with him ( box and one, triangle and two)Remember It is who CFH would chose and maybe latter CW could ask him and see who on here can guess correctly.

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
From recent years, I'd choose, Babb, simply for the Defense. I think we'll have plenty of offense (not that Babb would help there too).

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Don't need Cato, we have McKay.

If anything I'd say the team could use a Shawn Bankhead / Chris Babb type lock down defender.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Homan. Fred needs an enforcer, some disposable muscle.

LOL. Even within those parameters, there are much better options than Homan.

It's got to be Fizer or Tinsley, though. If there's one trait that defines Fred's coaching style (other than being completely awesome), it's that he takes the best talent he can, regardless of their position, and designs a system around them.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Let me preface this by saying I love Man-Man and I think he is going to be great this year, but let's not overthink this.

You take Tinsley (and have Morris play same role as last year) who started on two conference title teams and never lost in Hilton. Imagine him distributing to the weapons we have now?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011

It's got to be Fizer or Tinsley, though. If there's one trait that defines Fred's coaching style (other than being completely awesome), it's that he takes the best talent he can, regardless of their position, and designs a system around them.
You want talent? Take Royce and put him next to Georges. Remember Percy his freshman year?

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Royce White or DeAndre Kane - both add such versatility. Can play multiple positions. Present match-up problems for the opposition. Can run the offense through them. Always room for those types of players on a Fred Hoiberg team.

Who would I add? Babb or McGee. High effort guys. One is a defensive stopper who can also play a little O. The other is a knock-down shooter who can also play a little D.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
If he could chose one former Cyclone to add to this year's team? My first thought would be Cato. A big shot blocker in the middle since he seems to have a lot of ball handling and shooting guards. But then I think how would he use him and since he does not shoot from the outside he does not fit the offense he has been running. Floyd ran a lot of so called junk with him ( box and one, triangle and two)Remember It is who CFH would chose and maybe latter CW could ask him and see who on here can guess correctly.

Cato would limit us too much on offense. We are at our best when we can spread out the defense and present multiple points of attack. While he would be a great addition to our defense, I think his value there would be minimized by his lack of offense.

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008

I agree and find it interesting to think about how he would adjust his system to player strengths. Do you think he would go box-n-1 with a Cato type?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
A Cato type of guy would be ideal but specifically for Fred, guys like Royce, Kane or Georges would the best fit. Those guys play multiple positions and create match up nightmares. Fred has shown a preference for guys like that rather than traditional players. The answer to this question is more about who the coach is rather than the player.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
[/B]
I agree and find it interesting to think about how he would adjust his system to player strengths. Do you think he would go box-n-1 with a Cato type?

I don't think anything would change, except instead of Georges as your "back line" guy, you'd have a guy who can block shots. The biggest adjustment would be more on ball pressure bc you have a safety behind you.