Pick a coach to build your program for the next 5-7 years

BearDownAZ

May 27, 2014
Where would Hoiberg rank on a list if we're talking solely about moving forward (throw 'legacies' out) and taking age into consideration? Top 5? Top 10?

Had this convo with others on another board and I feel like Hoiberg isn't being listed as high as he should coming in around 10 mostly or not at all.

Coaches I'd put ahead of him for sure: Cal, Self, Donovan and Sean Miller. Beyond these 4, the mayor would be my next pick. Back me up on this CF

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Where would Hoiberg rank on a list if we're talking solely about moving forward (throw 'legacies' out) and taking age into consideration? Top 5? Top 10?

Had this convo with others on another board and I feel like Hoiberg isn't being listed as high as he should coming in around 10 mostly or not at all.

Coaches I'd put ahead of him for sure: Cal, Self, Donovan and Sean Miller. Beyond these 4, the mayor would be my next pick. Back me up on this CF

For ISU.... I wouldn't want anyone over Fred Hoiberg.... and I'm dead serious.

Too many of those other coaches you listed are too slimy for my liking.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I'd but Fred Hoiberg or Billy Donovan at the top. I can't stand Bill Self so I can't choose him. I also wouldn't choose Cal because when he's your coach you just have to wait for him to skip town and have the NCAA come in and hit you with sanctions. I think there are better people on the list with less risk.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
It depends on how far you are in the cellar as well as a program. If we're talking McD level recovery there are a lot less I would put in front of Fred than the state of the program when JO retired.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I'll take the young coach playing arguably the most exciting basketball in the country. Hoiberg.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'll take the young coach playing arguably the most exciting basketball in the country. Hoiberg.

Not to mention.... grew up in Ames, was a ball boy for the Cyclones as a kid, played for Ames High School, went to ISU and starred there as well.

There is no way you can top all of that IMO. I said I was dead serious that I wouldn't want anyone else, and that's where I stand.

I don't care if some feel like those other coaches could recruit better. I don't care. Fred is my choice.... hands down. Just wait.... kids are going to be lining up to play for Fred VERY soon.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Not to mention.... grew up in Ames, was a ball boy for the Cyclones as a kid, played for Ames High School, went to ISU and starred there as well.

There is no way you can top all of that IMO. I said I was dead serious that I wouldn't want anyone else, and that's where I stand.

I don't care if some feel like those other coaches could recruit better. I don't care. Fred is my choice.... hands down. Just wait.... kids are going to be lining up to play for Fred VERY soon.

Kids already are lining up to play for Fred. Cooke pretty much came looking for us from the way the whole interview process went. Kane, Nader, McKay, Babb, McGee all could have gone other places, with maybe the exception of Kane, but the point being they're already coming in. After this season, Fred will land a 5 star. Heard it here first.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's obviously Fred for us. And Fred would be the top choice of almost every college if they were looking for a new one.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Are we assuming this is for Iowa State, or is it just some generic program? Because Drake, Harvard, Iowa State, and Kentucky are probably all going to pick different coaches. If it's for Iowa State, there's a blatantly obvious winner here.

Help Support Us

Become a patron