Lance Armstrong to go on RAGBRAI again

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lance Armstrong will be riding part of RAGBRAI this year. Is this a good or bad thing?

I personally think that Lance was given a pretty harsh penalty for cheating in a sport where cheating was almost expected 15 years ago.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Lance Armstrong will be riding part of RAGBRAI this year. Is this a good or bad thing?

I personally think that Lance was given a pretty harsh penalty for cheating in a sport where cheating was almost expected 15 years ago.

It's not so much the cheating. It's the years of denying, lying, and smearing of anyone who accused him that I've got a problem with. He earned his penalty.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think it matters either way if he rides or not. If I see him ride past me, ok cool. If he serves me a beer in Rock Valley, ok cool. If I don't see him at all, it won't dampen my week.

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
Lance Armstrong did more to cure a disease that is real than 99.999% of the rest of
the world. I really don't care if he cheated at a race that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know I would rather have cancer cured than somebody winning a bicycle race.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I don't think it matters either way if he rides or not. If I see him ride past me, ok cool. If he serves me a beer in Rock Valley, ok cool. If I don't see him at all, it won't dampen my week.

Same boat as me. He's ruined some lives for individual gains, and he's also raised millions for other people's health. If he can make restitution with his accusers, it would go a long way.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Lance Armstrong did more to cure a disease that is real than 99.999% of the rest of
the world. I really don't care if he cheated at a race that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know I would rather have cancer cured than somebody winning a bicycle race.

I'm sorry, but I don't recall Lance getting his medical degree. He didn't to **** to cure cancer, he did raise awareness for cancer, which is cool, but he did it on the podium he was afforded by his cheating. I'm sorry about his nut and all, and I applaud him for how he's parlayed his cheating into something worthwhile, but I'll be darned if anyone can convince me I should care if he walks by me any more than I should care if one of you guys walk by me. Honestly, I think if someone told me "Hey, there's Rulzzz", or "Hey, there's Janny"...I'd be more moved than if Lance walked by me.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm sorry, but I don't recall Lance getting his medical degree. He didn't to **** to cure cancer, he did raise awareness for cancer, which is cool, but he did it on the podium he was afforded by his cheating. I'm sorry about his nut and all, and I applaud him for how he's parlayed his cheating into something worthwhile, but I'll be darned if anyone can convince me I should care if he walks by me any more than I should care if one of you guys walk by me. Honestly, I think if someone told me "Hey, there's Rulzzz", or "Hey, there's Janny"...I'd be more moved than if Lance walked by me.

Cancer awareness is great and all to spread the word and help find a cure, but it's not like we weren't all aware of it before Lance as well. If he didn't help collect the money for research, another group would have. So I don't consider that such a pro for him.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Cancer awareness is great and all to spread the word and help find a cure, but it's not like we weren't all aware of it before Lance as well. If he didn't help collect the money for research, another group would have. So I don't consider that such a pro for him.

There's a case to be made that all of these high-profile cancer awareness campaigns redirect funding from more severe forms of cancer (people have limited funds to donate, and perhaps they shouldn't be giving so much to a cancer that only has a .8% mortality rate).

There's also the contention that most of the monies raised for cancer research aren't used very effectively.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
I am ok with the guy. Other people have cheated in sports and lied about things and didn't get it this bad. The guy tried to do some good things with his fame. All in all I would say his impact on the world has had more positive then negative effect for the masses.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
There's a case to be made that all of these high-profile cancer awareness campaigns redirect funding from more severe forms of cancer (people have limited funds to donate, and perhaps they shouldn't be giving so much to a cancer that only has a .8% mortality rate).

There's also the contention that most of the monies raised for cancer research aren't used very effectively.

I agree. I was going to post some of that, but didn't want the "high horse" brigade to come hate on me as CF is known to do that.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
After reading his 1st book, I'm not a fan. I don't believe the theory that you have to be an arrogant jerk to be the best at a sport.

88clone

Feb 3, 2014
West Des Moines
I actually think what he did was amazing. Have you ever tried to ride a bike on drugs? Not easy to do, let alone win a race. :wink:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Meh. He's done some terrible things and some good things. Take it all into account and think about how terrible it would be for people to judge you based solely on the worst thing you ever did. I know, easy for me to say because I wasn't one of the many people he screwed over.

If anything he's just another cautionary tale of athletes and hero worship mentality. Put anyone on a pedestal and sooner or later they'll fall off.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Wither the French want to admit it or not cheating and drugging was and probably still is rampant in the sport.

Glad he wants to get involved and help. I don't see many cons to him.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
I don't believe Livestrong contributes to cancer research. All their money goes to awareness and support for those with the disease and their families. That has been one criticism of the organization -- donors think they are supporting cancer research.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron