The Strain

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
It's on the DVR, so it will get watched this week at some point. Looked interesting enough.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I DVRd it, is it an original story or based on a book or something?

I believe it was originally pitched as a TV show, but never picked up, so they made it into a book series, and now it's a TV show.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I DVRd it, is it an original story or based on a book or something?

I know there is a book which is based on some story ideas partially from Guillermo Del Toro, which is awesome. Last night had me interested for sure. I liked more of the Epidemiological aspect to be honest, so hopefully they follow that thread a little.

For those who dvr'ed don't open this:
And whatis the deal with all the violent head smashing on tv lately!! :smile:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm about 2/5 thru the book. Haven't really gotten into the meat yet (so to speak). Most of it has been character backgrounds & interactions. I'm hoping the pace of the book picks up pretty quick...I wanted to have it completed before I watch the recording. :)

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I know there is a book which is based on some story ideas partially from Guillermo Del Toro, which is awesome. Last night had me interested for sure. I liked more of the Epidemiological aspect to be honest, so hopefully they follow that thread a little.

For those who dvr'ed don't open this:

regarding the spoiler: that seemed to come out of nowhere. Really confused me after what happened in the plane.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Uh, is anyone watching this show? So your reproductive organs just say bye-bye?

This show also had a lot of momentum after the first episode.... and has just gone slow. Needs to pick up the pace-

MayorsAge

Mar 24, 2014
I recorded the first 2 or 3 episodes but didnt think it was that great after watching the first two. So if a plane lands safely but it just sitting there on the runway "cold" the protocol says that the CDC gets first crack at it? Little things like that just didn't make sense

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Really liked the first couple episodes. Now, I'm just getting frustrated with the characters. None of them do anything that makes any sense. They have absolutely no sense of urgency. There are too many dumb things that take place that make no sense.

The guy is told his daughter died on the plane. She shows up at the back door by herself and he doesn't even question it? Why would she be alone? He then calls the CDC guy and he doesn't get concerned at all that a dead girl showed up at her father's house?

The old guy with a sword keeps saying how urgent it is to put a stop to "the strain", but he still opens up his pawn shop and spends all day at work when he's the ONLY one who knows whats going on?

The one lady's husband is infected and locks himself in the shed so he wont hurt anyone. She then become a lunatic murderer and shoves her annoying neighbor in there to get eaten?

Sean Astin's character admits he was paid off by a group of people to let the "coffin" through security. The head CDC guy's response is to punch him, then walk away and not even bother getting any information on where the group of people came from, or where they might currently be?

The pretty CDC lady is unwillingly to hunt down and kill infected passengers (who are already dead), because she can't handle killing anyone (they are already dead) and is determined to find a cure instead (the old guy is the only one who knows whats going on and tells them repeatedly the only way to stop it is to destroy the infected people).

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Really liked the first couple episodes. Now, I'm just getting frustrated with the characters. None of them do anything that makes any sense. They have absolutely no sense of urgency. There are too many dumb things that take place that make no sense.

The guy is told his daughter died on the plane. She shows up at the back door by herself and he doesn't even question it? Why would she be alone? He then calls the CDC guy and he doesn't get concerned at all that a dead girl showed up at her father's house?

The old guy with a sword keeps saying how urgent it is to put a stop to "the strain", but he still opens up his pawn shop and spends all day at work when he's the ONLY one who knows whats going on?

The one lady's husband is infected and locks himself in the shed so he wont hurt anyone. She then become a lunatic murderer and shoves her annoying neighbor in there to get eaten?

Sean Astin's character admits he was paid off by a group of people to let the "coffin" through security. The head CDC guy's response is to punch him, then walk away and not even bother getting any information on where the group of people came from, or where they might currently be?

The pretty CDC lady is unwillingly to hunt down and kill infected passengers (who are already dead), because she can't handle killing anyone (they are already dead) and is determined to find a cure instead (the old guy is the only one who knows whats going on and tells them repeatedly the only way to stop it is to destroy the infected people).

I know, I'm frustrated with it too. I guess I am in it to see the "Rat-guy" do something cool soon. Where are they going with him?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Uh, is anyone watching this show? So your reproductive organs just say bye-bye?

This show also had a lot of momentum after the first episode.... and has just gone slow. Needs to pick up the pace-

Looked over at hubby after that scene...his legs were crossed...subconcious protection? ;)

Dino

Mar 26, 2009
Des Moines

I had similar thoughts. Hoping it gets better as the first episode had me interested. The part that actually made me laugh out our was when Eph's partner reassures him that it was self defense when he smashed that pilots head in. Then when they're being attacked later and Setrakian saves them she freaks out and starts yelling about their "protocols." Terrible consistency and a terrible line of dialogue.

The dude's wife feeding a neighbor to him was my favorite part of the show so far, though. That's exactly the type of thing I want out of a show like this.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I had similar thoughts. Hoping it gets better as the first episode had me interested. The part that actually made me laugh out our was when Eph's partner reassures him that it was self defense when he smashed that pilots head in. Then when they're being attacked later and Setrakian saves them she freaks out and starts yelling about their "protocols." Terrible consistency and a terrible line of dialogue.

The dude's wife feeding a neighbor to him was my favorite part of the show so far, though. That's exactly the type of thing I want out of a show like this.

Yeah, the cheese has slid off of her cracker. It was actually pretty interesting to watch her character change throughout the events in the episode.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron