CFTV: CCL 3-point contest highlights

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Wow, Custer will have to speed up the release on his jumper, especially at his height. Good form though.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Long crushing it. That is a ton of reps shining through right there. Kid is gonna be a killer.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Wow. You're really judging a guy's shot on what he does during a three point contest?

You mean that I shouldn't be judging someone based on watching them perform a skill repeatedly? I absolutely am going to do that. I thought the same thing after watching his high school clips. I'll go further and state that Naz's release is much quicker than that of both Thomas and Custer. Matt's release looks the same as in the games I've seen him play.

Participating in a 3-pt contest is not going to alter what you've been practicing for endless hours. That's the whole point of practicing, developing "muscle memory," so you do in competitions what you do in practice.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Why would you go any faster than you have to to finish within time? I'll give Custer a pass here, especially because he wasn't necessarily recruited because of his 3pt shot.

Love Matt's shot.

DesMoinesCy

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Love Matt's shot.

Matt doesn't need to work on his shooting mechanics, he has a sweet 3-point jumper. What Matt needs to work on is his catch-and-release (or catch-and-shoot if you don't want to use a fishing term).

Matt was much too hesitant to put up his shot last season, especially early on. If he develops confidence to just catch and shoot, he will be a great one.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm confident in all 3 of these guys as shooters, and I wouldn't put too much into a summer league 3 pt contest at all.

Fred's offense does not require you to shoot 3's with a lot of guys right in your face. It's all about spacing and getting guys basically wide open looks.

Nobody has as slow of a release on their 3 pt shot as Niang does, and he does just fine. I'm not concerned at all.

As someone else mentioned, last year Matt was just WAY too hesitant sometimes on letting his shot go, and he would pump fake instead of trusting it, and then he wasn't taking his shot in a rhythm like Fred always preaches he wants. He will adjust this year IMO, and trust it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
You mean that I shouldn't be judging someone based on watching them perform a skill repeatedly? I absolutely am going to do that. I thought the same thing after watching his high school clips. I'll go further and state that Naz's release is much quicker than that of both Thomas and Custer. Matt's release looks the same as in the games I've seen him play.

Participating in a 3-pt contest is not going to alter what you've been practicing for endless hours. That's the whole point of practicing, developing "muscle memory," so you do in competitions what you do in practice.

Jake was in a 3 point contest before his freshman year and his release was slower than Custer's at that time. His game shooting was quicker.

Matt's has gotten a bit quicker since he got here. It's a typical transition to college.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I'm confident in all 3 of these guys as shooters, and I wouldn't put too much into a summer league 3 pt contest at all.

Fred's offense does not require you to shoot 3's with a lot of guys right in your face. It's all about spacing and getting guys basically wide open looks.

Nobody has as slow of a release on their 3 pt shot as Niang does, and he does just fine. I'm not concerned at all.

As someone else mentioned, last year Matt was just WAY too hesitant sometimes on letting his shot go, and he would pump fake instead of trusting it, and then he wasn't taking his shot in a rhythm like Fred always preaches he wants. He will adjust this year IMO, and trust it.

Niang doesn't need as fast of a release. The guys guarding him are bigger guys, generally slower than guards and their primary job is to protect the lane and low box. They generally are not going to go out on the perimeter and cover tight. Guys guarding Thomas and long are quicker perimeter defenders and are trained, conditioned to guard tighter out there. The window of opportunity to pull the trigger is less with Thomas and Long than it is with Niang. That is why when you have a power forward that can shoot the 3, it is a major advantage. It helps open up the lane.

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
Just to clarify since some people are reading way too far into this, all those ISU guys came into the gym as the event had already started, so none of them shot a single warm up shot. They were taking it slow because they were cold and trying to get loose and find their rhythm. Custer just made 8 3-pointers during Wednesday's game and many of them were off the dribble with a defender in his face. His and Matt's release are fine.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just to clarify since some people are reading way too far into this, all those ISU guys came into the gym as the event had already started, so none of them shot a single warm up shot. They were taking it slow because they were cold and trying to get loose and find their rhythm. Custer just made 8 3-pointers during Wednesday's game and many of them were off the dribble with a defender in his face. His and Matt's release are fine.

Naz didn't even have his own shoes for the 3 point contest. He was wearing Thomas's.