Healthy Meals at Restaurants

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
I love getting myself some carryout on days that I don't feel like cooking, and always on the look out for good healthy meals. One that I love right now is the barbeque chicken salad with a whole grain baguette at Panera bread.

Anyone have a go-to menu items at any restaurants for a semi-healthy meal? Looking for different ideas...

ISUFAN80

Mar 18, 2008
I love getting myself some carryout on days that I don't feel like cooking, and always on the look out for good healthy meals. One that I love right now is the barbeque chicken salad with a whole grain baguette at Panera bread.

Anyone have a go-to menu items at any restaurants for a semi-healthy meal? Looking for different ideas...

If I get a burger I always take the bun off and instead of fries get steamed veggies or something like that.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
If I get a burger I always take the bun off and instead of fries get steamed veggies or something like that.

Paul-Rudd-GIF.gif

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA

We tend to plan smaller meals around the eating out.

Jimmy John's: get the smaller sandwich. No Mayo. You can add Dijon mustard
Don't drink pop, or only get the regular size. Don't drink a lot of it.
Get grilled chicken instead of fried.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Whenever I need something semi healthy on the run or when I didn't prepare for work I go to Jimmy Johns and get an unwhich (lettuce wrap instead of bread) and get no mayo, add vinegarette.

#9 unwhich no mayo no tomato is delish. A lot of cured meat though.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Korean/Chinese/Japanese food can have some decently healthy options.

Yep, some Indian, too. Sodium content can get a little high, but stick with the veggie options.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We tend to plan smaller meals around the eating out.

Jimmy John's: get the smaller sandwich. No Mayo. You can add Dijon mustard
Don't drink pop, or only get the regular size. Don't drink a lot of it.
Get grilled chicken instead of fried.

Paul-Rudd-GIF.gif

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Whenever I need something semi healthy on the run or when I didn't prepare for work I go to Jimmy Johns and get an unwhich (lettuce wrap instead of bread) and get no mayo, add vinegarette.

#9 unwhich no mayo no tomato is delish. A lot of cured meat though.

Paul-Rudd-GIF.gif

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I love Chipotle.. get a burrito bowl double meat (half n half). Brown rice beans cheese sour cream salsa..
90 g protein
90 g carbs
25 g fat

It's healthy for a guy like me that can handle 3500 cals per day ha.. and its a lot of food!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Korean food as healthy??? Typical Korean food includes LOTS of red meat. Not that it isn't delicious, but not the first thing I think of as healthy. Of course my direct knowledge of Korean food so far is exclusively Korean barbecue, but my Korean coworker confirmed that Koreans typically eat a lot of red meat.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Get steamed rice. Much healthier and it is filling. One Cup is a generous serving

This reminded me of my time spent in the Philippines. In places like McDonalds or KFC where typically we think of "fries" with every meal, they serve white rice instead. It was always odd to see combos of "burger, rice and drink".

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Subway Veggie Delight on whole wheat, no cheese, no mayo. Skip the chips and the cookie. Drink unsweetened iced tea.

At any restaurant, when you order a main course salad with grilled shrimp or chicken, tell them no cheese, dressing on the side.

In restaurants that serve breakfast all day, order eggs, whole-wheat toast, bacon, and share your bacon with everyone at the table. This is also usually the cheapest option, and you can get a whole lot of protein for a few bucks. Lots of places will also swap the hashbrowns for the veggie of the day.

Another tip: walk to and from the restaurant - or at least, do not do the drive-thru and park as far away in the lot as you can. If you have to do fast food, order the small of everything. Most places will do a plain hamburger, which is meat and a bun, period, without all the ketchup (full of sugar) and mayo, etc. No cheese, ever. (it's not real cheese anyway).

Another tip, you don't have to eat every bite of everything. So many restaurants serve double-portions. Take half of it home and have another meal from it.

Every fast food joint posts its calories on line (if not in the restaurant). Read before you go. There are some real shockers in there.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Tried the strawberry fields chicken salad from Wendy's yesterday. It was delicious.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Korean food as healthy??? Typical Korean food includes LOTS of red meat. Not that it isn't delicious, but not the first thing I think of as healthy. Of course my direct knowledge of Korean food so far is exclusively Korean barbecue, but my Korean coworker confirmed that Koreans typically eat a lot of red meat.

Just eat kimchi everyday, you'll have the smallest circle of friends possible.