Task Force Recommendation for VEISHEA

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
What ever event comes next, please stop acting like idiots or it will also get canceled. It isn't difficult to have fun with out destroying things that don't belong to you or acting like a complete idiot. Sadly, I agree that VEISHEA had to be done forever.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I'm ok with it being gone as long as we make homecoming a bigger deal now. The excuse for having a poor homecoming celebration was VEISHEA. So we did them both and they were both average IMO.

Make homecoming cool. Bring bands in, have tournaments and campus events all week, etc.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I'm ok with it being gone as long as we make homecoming a bigger deal now. The excuse for having a poor homecoming celebration was VEISHEA. So we did them both and they were both average IMO.

Make homecoming cool. Bring bands in, have tournaments and campus events all week, etc.

Then they will just cancel homecoming in a few years after riots get out of control

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Then they will just cancel homecoming in a few years after riots get out of control

I don't think that would be an issue. It seemed to me that people found a need to be stupid at VEISHEA just because that was expected. With homecoming there are no expectations.

i do see your point though and it is valid.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Not surprised, as a student in 04 I can't believe that didn't nix this event. Now that I have a daughter this sucks she won't get to experience the event but such is life I guess.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

THEY'RE PUNISHING THE WRONG ******* PEOPLE.

And YES, I cussed. Because this makes me so ******* angry.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I don't think that would be an issue. It seemed to me that people found a need to be stupid at VEISHEA just because that was expected. With homecoming there are no expectations.

i do see your point though and it is valid.

It wasn't the original expectation...but it definitely became an excuse in recent years....and that disgusts me.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Changing the name will definitely put a stop to alcohol consumption as well.
attachment.php

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Sure, but they didn't have much of a choice.

Agreed. And I think "punish" May be the wrong term here. When they cancelled this year's, that was punishment. I think this is a pound of prevention rather than just an ounce.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Agreed. And I think "punish" May be the wrong term here. When they cancelled this year's, that was punishment. I think this is a pound of prevention rather than just an ounce.

Ya probably, but until a cycle of students move on Veisha week will still be celebrated no matter if its official or not. Probably not on the same level but will still be carried out at least for a couple of years is my guess.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Wow, reading all of the past incidents, I'm surprised it took this long. All I really remebered were the 04 riots and the ones I was in college for (12-14)

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Ya probably, but until a cycle of students move on Veisha week will still be celebrated no matter if its official or not. Probably not on the same level but will still be carried out at least for a couple of years is my guess.

they are gonna have an unofficial VEISHEA week that benefits the type of students that helped with the riot, while hurting the people who actually helped with the on-campus events. It's stupid but the task force made the only decision it could.

I like the making homecoming a bigger deal idea. Honestly, do a lot of people give a **** about homecoming weekend at ISU compared to most schools?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
they are gonna have an unofficial VEISHEA week that benefits the type of students that helped with the riot, while hurting the people who actually helped with the on-campus events. It's stupid but the task force made the only decision it could.

I like the making homecoming a bigger deal idea. Honestly, do a lot of people give a **** about homecoming weekend at ISU compared to most schools?

I agree on the homecoming idea as well. And no, ISU doesn't embrace homecoming like a lot of schools.