7-9-14 CCL Recaps: Custer drops 52

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Edozie looks quite a bit more comfortable on the court from what I've seen. That doesn't mean he will be a great player for us, but I do think he can give us a little more than he did last year when he has to play spot minutes.

And that's not a bad thing

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I agree with CWs usual assessment on what to take away from the CCL. While I'm not putting too much stock into Custer tearing up the CCL to the point where I'm sure he is going to be a solid contributor for ISU, at least his CCL performances have done nothing to discredit him either, like it has for certain players in the past (Jordan Railey, Dodie Dunson, Eric McKnight.... etc.).

What has been proven as faily solid takeaways is that if someone has a hard time producing in the CCL, they are more than likely going to have a hard time producing in the Big 12. There are a few exceptions though even to that like Hogue, who was good but not great last year in the CCL. Nevertheless, he still showed optimistics hints of what he could be, which I don't remember Eric McKnight ever showing. What I'm saying is there is no certainties with the CCL, but there are solid trends to look for.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I agree with CWs usual assessment on what to take away from the CCL. While I'm not putting too much stock into Custer tearing up the CCL to the point where I'm sure he is going to be a solid contributor for ISU, at least his CCL performances have done nothing to discredit him either, like it has for certain players in the past (Jordan Railey, Dodie Dunson, Eric McKnight.... etc.).

What has been proven as faily solid takeaways is that if someone has a hard time producing in the CCL, they are more than likely going to have a hard time producing in the Big 12. There are a few exceptions though even to that like Hogue, who was good but not great last year in the CCL. Nevertheless, he still showed optimistics hints of what he could be, which I don't remember Eric McKnight ever showing. What I'm saying is there is no certainties with the CCL, but there are solid trends to look for.

Was just going to type something similar. I'm just glad ISU appears to have every player capable of scoring insane points in the CCL. I know it doesn't mean much but in the past a portion of the team would struggle to do anything all summer.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Was just going to type something similar. I'm just glad ISU appears to have every player capable of scoring insane points in the CCL. I know it doesn't mean much but in the past a portion of the team would struggle to do anything all summer.

It definitely seems like scoring is up in the CCL for ISU players. It seems like 2-3 years ago we were wowed by a player getting 40-50 points. Now our backup post is doing it. Doesn't mean everyone will be a stud in the Big 12, but definitely indicates the continued upwards trend of talent at all spots on the team.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

I agree. Crazy to see "The Dozer" finally chipping in some fairly solid numbers. I can't remember an ISU team with such a lack of weak links. Shoot, even some of our best teams in ISU history like the Tinsley/Fizer combo didn't have close to the solid depth this years team has.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
It definitely seems like scoring is up in the CCL for ISU players. It seems like 2-3 years ago we were wowed by a player getting 40-50 points. Now our backup post is doing it. Doesn't mean everyone will be a stud in the Big 12, but definitely indicates the continued upwards trend of talent at all spots on the team.

While I do agree with your statement and I think the majority of it is due to the increased quality of ISU players like you said, I also don't think we can deny that a portion of it is somewhat due to the quality of the league being down some too over the past few years. Back when we struggled more, we also struggled more against the likes of better Drake players than there are now, combined with the likes of individuals such as the Korvers, Harrison Barnes, Eric Crawford (former UNI player) and Doug McDermotts (I think he played) of the world. I just don't think we've had many of those in a while pariticipating. Shoot, I'm not sure I can name more than a couple players names playing this year not on the ISU team.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
It tells me that Edozie is going to be a scoring machine next year. ISU may score 250 points per game.

Cyrob, you are all wet on 250 points. Hell, without Naing, Long and Nader the guys scored over 325 points last night. With them, it will be over 400 easy.

Mark it down.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
It's clear that a game will be a failure if we win by less than 185.
If that happens in any of our games this season, it seems fair to question both Fred's ability and his allegiance to Iowa State University.

I can almost guarantee the first time we fail to beat a directional school by 50, someone (probably multiple someones) on here will be worried/angry/pessimistic about it.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
While I do agree with your statement and I think the majority of it is due to the increased quality of ISU players like you said, I also don't think we can deny that a portion of it is somewhat due to the quality of the league being down some too over the past few years. Back when we struggled more, we also struggled more against the likes of better Drake players than there are now, combined with the likes of individuals such as the Korvers, Harrison Barnes, Eric Crawford (former UNI player) and Doug McDermotts (I think he played) of the world. I just don't think we've had many of those in a while pariticipating. Shoot, I'm not sure I can name more than a couple players names playing this year not on the ISU team.

If I recall correctly, Barnes was drafted but never played (or if he did it was maybe one or two games). I don't ever remember Mcdermott playing.