45 things about Iowa you probably didn't know

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Whoever wrote that article didn't do a lot of fact checking. East Okoboji River? Winnebago made in the city of Winnebago? Field of Dreams in Dubuque?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Whoever wrote that article didn't do a lot of fact checking. East Okoboji River? Winnebago made in the city of Winnebago? Field of Dreams in Dubuque?
Yeah those got my attention too. I wonder if they just said Dubuque for Field of Dreams since that is the closest large city..who knows. The list is still interesting however.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Read #11 carefully. I've already been on a Facebook "discussion " today about the errors, oversights, lack of proof reading, and lack of sources for this list. That's the problem with lists and numbers like these. They give a "wow" impression and little to back it up.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Read #11 carefully. I've already been on a Facebook "discussion " today about the errors, oversights, lack of proof reading, and lack of sources for this list. That's the problem with lists and numbers like these. They give a "wow" impression and little to back it up.
They're apparently hybrids. We'll call them pows.

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte

She also said bovine instead of porcine. There we a ton of mistakes in that article. It really isn't all the hard to do your due diligence and double/triple check your work. Poorly written.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
they completely missed the ball on the ames description, i think there was an entire music video that detailed everything that made you say hooray about ames...

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Yes, some of the Amish in Southern Iowa have phones, internet, calculators, cash registers and sunglasses (saw this with my own eyes at a lumberyard). Apparently, it all depends on what sect you belong to. Kalona Amish got nuthin' on them.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Besides, can't trust a list that omits Peggy Whitson, first female commander of the International Space Station, born in Mt. Ayr.

:pcool:

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha

My general rule is that if a piece of "news" or a list of "facts" arrived to me via either email or Facebook then it is generally inaccurate. The 8 million political things that get liked and shared on Facebook might be the single largest pile of garbage spam on the planet, full of lies and half truths. It's a shame how easily the general public will accept anything they read on the internet as truth simply because it comes in some type of prepared format.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
My general rule is that if a piece of "news" or a list of "facts" arrived to me via either email or Facebook then it is generally inaccurate. The 8 million political things that get liked and shared on Facebook might be the single largest pile of garbage spam on the planet, full of lies and half truths. It's a shame how easily the general public will accept anything they read on the internet as truth simply because it comes in some type of prepared format.

I actually agree with twocoach on something. There was a point where I stupidly made it a point to debunk the stupid crap that gets posted and shared on Facebook, but the task just became too big for me. It was exhausting. Like the "if someone throws egg on your windshield, don't use the wipers, it will smear and you'll get raped!" one or the "if someone is driving without their headlights on, don't flash them because it's a gang initiation and you'll get killed!" one or even the recent "if you feed a dog ice, it's stomach will explode!" one. Typical American garbage to use fear to spread crap because they know people won't fact check.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

It's called clickbait, and yes, it's a scourge on society (and makes women bad mothers).