CF--Do you sometimes refer to a neighbor by a group they belong to?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC

I cannot believe I sometimes find myself referring to the "French people" or to the "renters", when I make no attempt to remember their names.

CYvilEng

Aug 20, 2012
Des Moines

I cannot believe I sometimes find myself referring to the "French people" or to the "renters", when I make no attempt to remember their names.

When I talk to my wife about the neighbors, it's either " the nice people" or "the *** holes".

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
One of ours used to fly an Ohio State flag. You don't wanna know what I called him.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Yep, although not so much 'groups'. In our old house, we had 'Arnold'...the musclebound guy who would work out in his front driveway, and 'the dirtballs' where the husband got arrested for stealing office supplies and selling them on the internet. Our new house we have 'shirtless guy' who never wears a shirt, and he's no 'Arnold'.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
We use their last names except for the ones we don't know. Then it's the "people in the blue house", etc, except for the Mexicans behind us who have a car and a washing machine in the back yard. They are really nice people but we call them "the Mexicans" because it seems appropriate due to stereotypes about leaving crap in their yards. There are also some white rents down the block who we call "Whiskey Tango" because they have 7 cars in their two-car garage driveway including one that makes black smoke for the sole purpose of making black smoke.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
When a certain group of gossipy neighbors get together in a front yard, we refer to them as The View

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Lived in the Bosnian neighborhood of Waterloo... definitely referred to my one neighbors house "the Bosnians" while not referring to any other neighborhood houses in a similar way. They were the only house we were friends with on the block so it likely was due to that. Across the street was the "shirtless Mexican" that is about it though.

Grew up in DeWitt, IA so we referred to houses by last names of the people who were originally on the block, when they moved it was "The Balmer's old house" and the type of stuff.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We use their last names except for the ones we don't know. Then it's the "people in the blue house", etc, except for the Mexicans behind us who have a car and a washing machine in the back yard. They are really nice people but we call them "the Mexicans" because it seems appropriate due to stereotypes about leaving crap in their yards. There are also some white rents down the block who we call "Whiskey Tango" because they have 7 cars in their two-car garage driveway including one that makes black smoke for the sole purpose of making black smoke.

And this is in Marshalltown you say???

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

This is actually a white trash thing, I learned this week:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/06/rolling-coal-photos-video_n_5561477.html

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Grew up in DeWitt, IA so we referred to houses by last names of the people who were originally on the block, when they moved it was "The Balmer's old house" and the type of stuff.

In my job people will say "the old XYZ warehouse." Then I'll say "I'm not from here so I'm not sure where you are referring to." Then they will say, "Well they bought it from Jack Smith in 1976". And then I'll say, "Can I have an address please." And then they'll say "I'm not sure but it's down the street from the Johnson's old place."

Ugh.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I suppose it's not PC that my wife and I refer to the dozen or so Mexican kids in their trampoline as the Mexican jumping beans.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
In an effort to better learn the names of our neighbors, we have turned to alliterative naming. We have Limerick Linda (she's 100% Irish), Goofy Greg (an understatement), Slutty Sandy (unconfirmed), ***hole Andre (his dogs never shut up and he refuses to do anything about it), Cowardly Craig (we're convinced he needs his wife's permission to go outside) and Lovely Laura (the only neighbor we actually like).

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Of course. We have:

The Postals (neighbor that gets angry when he mistakenly gets our mail)
Hawkeye Bastards (self explanatory)
The Owl - guy who is always roaming around...sees and reports everything that happens in the neighborhood
Fender - neighbor who is a musician/guitarist and was wearing a shirt that had "Fender" first time we met
The Chef - teaches at Culinary School

Last edited:

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Man, some people are just stupid...and apparently racist. The future is bleak as these people out-reproduce educated people 3:1.

The article says it's linked to lung cancer, so hopefully that evens things out a bit.