Baconfest expands (again). Moving downtown to Iowa Events Center

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It was too big last year and too spread out among the three buildings. I just don't think all of the vendors will be able to keep up.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Went to the 1st annual Waterloo one this year and it reminded of what the Des Moines one use to be like. They need to split the Des Moines up into 2 or 3 different events and have everything free with admission.. I also liked that Waterloo had a paper that had every vendor and you could only go through one time. Stopped the big lines from forming at the most popular places.

To top it off, my wife won 52 weeks worth of bacon because of the shirt she was wearing. I've been eating the hell out of bacon for the last few months.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Anyone else completely uninterested in this? I don't understand the obsession with bacon. At all.

Edit. I fully expect to be blasted for this.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Anyone else completely uninterested in this? I don't understand the obsession with bacon. At all.

I went last year and it was fun but I too don't understand the obsession. It's almost like it's just a fad until the next craze comes along. I won't be going anymore because excluding samples everything had a price - what's the point of paying to get in to pay for bacon?

jtdoyle1

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I went last year also and it was just okay for me. Bacon is very good, but it is over valued right now. I predict that the bacon bubble will soon burst.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames

Its like a fair when there is no fair. People love fairs. Most people just drink a lot at the thing. Bacon is like maybe 1/3 of the interest in the event.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Admittedly, some of the draw is just the hype...which goes along with selling out tickets each year within minutes of going on sale.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

I have no clue how you built the Matrix with an attitude like that. I'm more than a little skeptical now.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

giphy.gif

Take all the issue you want with the event, but don't you dare say anything bad about bacon!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I enjoy bacon as much as the next guy, but i'll second that the event is overhyped at least.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
Baconfest... Introduced me to the bacon rave wannabe... Middle aged former strippers (or bored housewives) pole dancing while a little person who can also eat fire in an Elvis costume spins some house music... Don't forget the pig costume pole dancing as well...

It was just overdone for me... Had some good stuff (the bacon sushi place was pretty good). I think I'm over the bacon craze. I heard the Iceland one was epic, but last year was just too big.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
I wouldn't go again if someone gave me tickets. Last year suuuuucked (just my opinion). Too many people. Felt like a big, cheesy money grab.

Help Support Us

Become a patron