Mowing the Lawn

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm curious what CF thinks on this topic, since it's a mix of non-parents and parents.

If you live in a neighborhood, what is the latest you will start/finish mowing your lawn? What is the earliest you will start? Do you have young children or elderly in your neighborhood?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I try not to start before about 9am, kids and old people are up by then, and just finish before it gets dark.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
How old is elderly? I normally won't mow my lawn after 7 pm. On a weekend, I'll start mowing at 9 am if the grass is dry. Especially if it's going to be hot.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I would love, love, love to just jump outside at like 7:30 on a Saturday morning and get it done before it gets too hot out, but I understand that other people don't have kids waking them up at 6:30 so I wait until later in the morning. Personally, I don't care when people do it as long as it's daylight. I wouldn't want to be doing it at 8:30, but it doesn't seem to be enough noise to keep my kid's up so I couldn't care less.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I generally mow right after work. So between 5 - 7 pm.
On weekends I wait until at least 9am to give the dew time to dry off and to not be obnoxious towards the neighbors

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
not before 8am on the weekdays
not before 9-10am on weekends

not after 8:00-8:30pm every day.

The problem is people are at different points in their life. I remember when the guy next door would fire up the mower around 1-2pm on Saturdays. Thats when my little kids/baby would be napping. They would wake up and then everyone is ticked off etc...

Well, Now they are older and I could care less.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
9AM - 8:30PM, usually stop earlier when school is in session

When my daughter was a baby, the guy down the street liked to do woodworking in his garage until 10-11PM with his door open. I think it's the only time I've ever asked a neighbor to stop something like that.

ISUKing

Apr 27, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I normally don't start til 9:30, I would start earlier but my grass takes forever to dry off.

latest I have been out is 8:30. That seems to be a pretty common bed time for a kid. if you are like my friends and put your kid to bed at 7, you are rolling the dice. There is also consideration to normal life functions that don't stop because you or your kids want to sleep. I have always felt it goes both ways.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
not before 8am on the weekdays
not before 9-10am on weekends

not after 8:00-8:30pm every day.

The problem is people are at different points in their life. I remember when the guy next door would fire up the mower around 1-2pm on Saturdays. Thats when my little kids/baby would be napping. They would wake up and then everyone is ticked off etc...

Well, Now they are older and I could care less.

That's been our exact issue - naptime and bedtime. I don't expect others to accommodate the fact that my daughter has trouble sleeping, but it does just MURDER naps/bedtime.

On the other hand, she's up at the buttcrack of dawn, so I don't care if people mow at 7:00 a.m.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
That's been our exact issue - naptime and bedtime. I don't expect others to accommodate the fact that my daughter has trouble sleeping, but it does just MURDER naps/bedtime.

On the other hand, she's up at the buttcrack of dawn, so I don't care if people mow at 7:00 a.m.

I think you can take issue with people doing it after traditional kid's bedtimes. That's something you should be expected to be aware of in neighborhoods with kids. Nap time's though, that can vary so damn much, you can't expect other people to know/remember exactly when your kids might be down during the day.

Also, are my kids just heavy sleepers or do some of you have neighbors with absurdly loud mowers? I've mowed OUR lawn while our son naps (2 yo) with no issues.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
We have people who will do it like at 7am which I find annoying. Personally I won't mow before 9am or probably after say 8pm.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
9 am to 8 pm is an acceptable time range, but I usually mow at 5 pm.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
10am is usually when I do it. No one should complain about sleeping at that time and it gives the lawn enough time to dry out from the dew.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think you can take issue with people doing it after traditional kid's bedtimes. That's something you should be expected to be aware of in neighborhoods with kids. Nap time's though, that can vary so damn much, you can't expect other people to know/remember exactly when your kids might be down during the day.

Also, are my kids just heavy sleepers or do some of you have neighbors with absurdly loud mowers? I've mowed OUR lawn while our son naps (2 yo) with no issues.

Twice in the last couple of weeks it's gone on past 9:00 pm, probably to 9:15 or so. I do wonder if they have really loud mowers, because we even have a white noise machine that we run for our child and it's still loud. I just wondered how they could be mowing in the dark? That doesn't seem like a very good idea. We LOVE our neighbors, and would never complain because it's our child who has the issue sleeping - it's just hard to juggle.

I think most people's limits of 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. seem rational - and you're right, naps really vary by child.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
10am is usually when I do it. No one should explain about sleeping at that time and it gives the lawn enough time to dry out from the dew.

10 to 5 seems like the best time range possible. I do understand a little wiggle room if it's a hot day.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Twice in the last couple of weeks it's gone on past 9:00 pm, probably to 9:15 or so. I do wonder if they have really loud mowers, because we even have a white noise machine that we run for our child and it's still loud. I just wondered how they could be mowing in the dark? That doesn't seem like a very good idea.

I think most people's limits of 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. seem rational - and you're right, naps really vary by child.

Yea, 9 is definitely weird, especially if they are consistently doing it that late.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My husband won't mow before 10:00 am but sometimes has mowed as late as 9:30 pm. We have a huge yard and the only house close enough to hear is occupied by a young couple with no kids.