Car Help!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mkleve44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2012
West Des Moines
So I just got a newer vehicle and I was parking in the garage. When I opened my door, I hit my golf clubs and they hit my drivers side back door. Fail. I have about 4 half inch scratches and one 3 inch scratch. These are not very deep but still scratched the paint.

Looking to find out if anyone has any products or other things I could use to get these scratches out? Thanks!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
if they are not too bad, you might be able to buff them out with rubbing compound or buffing compound. These are usually pretty cheap and look like car wax, but are much more aggressive in terms of abrasives. If the scratched have gotten to the metal, then you can sort of fix it with a bottle of touchup paint. You can get pretty good results if you take your time.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
So I just got a newer vehicle and I was parking in the garage. When I opened my door, I hit my golf clubs and they hit my drivers side back door. Fail. I have about 4 half inch scratches and one 3 inch scratch. These are not very deep but still scratched the paint.

Looking to find out if anyone has any products or other things I could use to get these scratches out? Thanks!
Not sure if this helps or not but some good detailers also do minor paint repairs. If you are unsuccessful yourself, check it out. Might cost you a couple hundred bucks but less than having an auto body shop do it.

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch then you won't be able to buff it out all the way. At that point all that you can do is touch it up or go to a body shop and get it repaired and repainted.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Not sure if this helps or not but some good detailers also do minor paint repairs. If you are unsuccessful yourself, check it out. Might cost you a couple hundred bucks but less than having an auto body shop do it.

This is a good idea to look into. I had just bought a brand new truck the Tuesday before a game. Brought it to tailgate that Saturday. When we were packing up, I noticed that near the back of the truck it was all hacked up. Like someone was trying to force something into the backseat of the car parked next to me and just kept scratching the crap out of a 2" space on my truck. I took it in and ended up having it fixed, couldn't tell it had even happened, for about $80. Granted, this was about 14 years ago, so I'm sure the price has gone up, but relatively speaking, some guys are pretty talented fixing those minor things.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
There is a Turtle wax kit that can fill in clearcoat. Watch some youtube videos on how to do it. I have not used it on my car, but have on my road bike and it works well. May want to practice on something first.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Actually, even calling a community college professor that works with auto body certification may lead to a cheap alternative as well.