Future for the Sisters

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
I don't suppose anyone wants to discuss the future with all the excitement focused on the present, but this team has a really bright future ahead. Next years backcourt is set and could be stronger with some more depth coming in at PG. And the front court will be deep if Ross and Weiben are fully recovered. I am wondering if Joycelyn Anderson would consider a redshirt year? Consider Ross, Weiben Arlen, Nisliet and the rapidly improving Lightborne next year, and Anderson, Arlen and Lightborne the following year.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
So who will they lose to graduation? I think if the generally group of talent that drove them so well this year returns, they could do some massive damage next year. I was super impressed with their tenacity yesterday. Bright bright future.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Ross is the only senior this year, but her medical redshirt negates her leaving. No one should be leaving from this year's team. Next year will see a mass exodus.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
I'm sure there will be Big 12 Championship talk, and a pre-season ranking. With all of the close losses this season, it was great they found a way to win a close one against an excellent opponent.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
A true PG would be nice...Aus does a great job, but she really isn't a PG.

Even though I grew tired of the announcers love affair with KSU's PG Shalee Lehning yesterday, I would have loved to have had her as a Cyclone. A true point with the shooters we have would be amazing.

Next year should be special but right now this year is turning out to be pretty darn good considering everything.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
A true PG would be nice...Aus does a great job, but she really isn't a PG.
I agree. The little gal from SD is a PG, and I think the home-schooler is also. Stuckey is a PG, if she could just get over her Mike Taylor syndrome. She has improved but still plays out of control at times.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I'm 90% sure Lacey will be the PG next year. It's very hard for a freshman to come in at PG and start right away. Medders split PG duties with Anne O'Neil her freshman year. When Lindsey Wilson was a freshman, she played behind Frese.

It's also a numbers game. Next year's starters will likely be Lacey, Ezell, Bolte, Ross, and Wieben. Which one do you move to the bench to make room for a new PG?

The nice thing is that, even though there isn't a true PG on the roster, Lacey, Ezell, and Stuckey are all good combo guards, which means there are at least two (and sometimes three) players on the court at any time capable of handling the ball very well.

Hopefully, one of the freshman PGs will be able to break the rotation and get good minutes at PG. That's what Lindsey Wilson did (and she even played some PG while Frese was on the court).

Last edited:

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
In very recent weeks, Genesis, Shelly and Anna got more exposure. Some good summer work should get them more pt. I think we lost some close games at the end due to fatique and a few more minutes of bench time will be a big help.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
We have everyone coming back and 3 players coming in. we have two 5'7 guards (one is suppose to be a true pointguard) and a 6'1 post player from the same town Greg McDermot lived and in Bill Fennely's opion is the best player outof the state of iowa.. so should be interesting next year

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Any word on Toccara's medical redshirt? Does she want to come back, and if so, when do we hear if the NCAA approves it.