What are they building??

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I have been gone for two weeks so sorry if this has already been answered. I got back into town yesterday after being gone and I saw that they had broken ground on something next to the Kum & Go on Mortensen in Ames. Anyone know what this is going to be?

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
There seems to be an AAU tourney out there almost every weekend. That place will do well. I am hoping for one more fast food option to open up out there. Something with a drive thru. Like a Popeye's or something.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah I was hoping it was going to be a Raising Canes or Chik-Fil-A

Never really been a huge Chik-Fil-A fan but I would take it over nothing. A Sonic would work too. Then there would be a breakfast option as well. I have to believe with all the families out in town for AAU sports that a chain fast food place would make an absolute killing.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Its a new hotel. Have to think that a fast food place will eventually open out there. That northwest corner of the intersection of mortensen and South Dakota would be prime development land if Kum and Go hadn't bought it (for 3+ mill) seemingly out of fear of a competing gas station being part of any new development.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Prime spot for a Hardee's I think. Surprised that hasn't made it to Ames yet.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Prime spot for a Hardee's I think. Surprised that hasn't made it to Ames yet.

you-serious-clark-o.gif

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
West Ames would be an awful place in Ames for Hardees. Overpriced burgers in a market dominated by college students where land acquisition costs are out of this world? That's got bankruptcy written all over it.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Used to be 3 of them, 20 years ago:
1. South Duff (where Panera is)
2. Mall (where Jimmy John's is, but more space)
3. Campustown (around Battles)

Actually, the mall Hardees was on the empty corner next to TJ Maxx on the south end of the main building. A Diamond Dave's was in there for a while and it may have been a random bar after that, but it's been empty now for years. Where Jimmy John's is now used to be Baskin Robins a looong time ago. And the space across the way from them with the day spa and Cookies Etc used to have two first-run movie theaters.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Actually, the mall Hardees was on the empty corner next to TJ Maxx on the south end of the main building. A Diamond Dave's was in there for a while and it may have been a random bar after that, but it's been empty now for years. Where Jimmy John's is now used to be Baskin Robins a looong time ago. And the space across the way from them with the day spa and Cookies Etc used to have two first-run movie theaters.

I was concerned that Diamond Dave's was so long ago that no one would remember it, then I moved Jimmy John's for no reason after that.