The Fieldhouse...

TheCaptain

Bookie
Jul 2, 2009
Iowa
I thought this thread was about that old dump of a bar in Iowa City.

Carry on......

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
I heard it was supposed to resemble Allen Fieldhouse. Why? I don't know. It does in shape, but not much else.

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
(Debbie Downer Alert)

A monument to what is wrong with youth athletics. Any more, especially at the 3A/4A level, if you and your kid aren't fully committed to these never-ending and expensive programs, they will never see the field in high school sports. Poor families from the central cities cannot participate; so the Catholic Schools and suburban schools will continue to dominate. Follow the money.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
(Debbie Downer Alert)

A monument to what is wrong with youth athletics. Any more, especially at the 3A/4A level, if you and your kid aren't fully committed to these never-ending and expensive programs, they will never see the field in high school sports. Poor families from the central cities cannot participate; so the Catholic Schools and suburban schools will continue to dominate. Follow the money.
violin-steve-buscemi.gif

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
(Debbie Downer Alert)

The problem with today's youth sports is, in my opinion, kids get too specialized and don't play other sports. Used to be you (from a male perspective) played baseball in the summer, football or golf in the fall, bball, swimming, or wrestle in the winter and soccer or track in the spring. That was in addition to any band or other activities.

Back to the Fieldhouse and who cares? Looks like a waste of money and this Jensen guy appears to have a lot to waste.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I agree specialization is bad and in most sports you have to be in a club to get noticed which is not all that great.

The facility though is great and a big addition to the area. A lot of money coming into Ames just this weekend thanks to that place.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I believe Harrison Barnes has stated multiple times that Jensen's basketball facilities (West Towne Courts and the ISU facility) were a huge help to him and he was grateful to have access to such facilities. Also I think this new facility looks nice with the classic look to it.

Last edited:

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I thought this thread was about that old dump of a bar in Iowa City.

Carry on......

I had the same thought. My memory from Iowa City bars is hazy. Was that the one that had a dance floor that was like one step down so it eventually became like a kiddy pool of spilled beer?

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, I thought that it looked quite a bit like State Gym. One thing's for sure, with Sukup right next door, they should be able to host some monster AAU tourneys.

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
The problem with today's youth sports is, in my opinion, kids get too specialized and don't play other sports. Used to be you (from a male perspective) played baseball in the summer, football or golf in the fall, bball, swimming, or wrestle in the winter and soccer or track in the spring. That was in addition to any band or other activities.

Back to the Fieldhouse and who cares? Looks like a waste of money and this Jensen guy appears to have a lot to waste.

Totally agree. Notice the increase in ACL/knee injuries to youth? IMO, it's because too many are only playing one sport and playing it year round. Playing different sports strengthens/develops muscles/tendons/ligaments differently - all for the greater health of the body.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Unless you're going to make money playing a sport, no reason to alienate all others at a young age. I loved participating in tennis, golf, football, basketball, baseball, soccer, track ect.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I had the same thought. My memory from Iowa City bars is hazy. Was that the one that had a dance floor that was like one step down so it eventually became like a kiddy pool of spilled beer?

As did I. And yes, because my buddy launched an entire pitcher of beer down onto that floor from above. I think he had his shirt off. This is why we can't have nice things. He didn't last long in that bar.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
Dumbest thing I have ever seen. Discourages kids from playing sports. Guys like this should be using his money to encourage more kids to play sports not just picking a couple to play in his gym palace.

Sorry kid your mom didn't pay me $2,500 you can't play in this gym.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Dumbest thing I have ever seen. Discourages kids from playing sports. Guys like this should be using his money to encourage more kids to play sports not just picking a couple to play in his gym palace.

Sorry kid your mom didn't pay me $2,500 you can't play in this gym.

No, what's dumb is you telling someone else what to do with their money.

Jensen is the reason we have the basketball practice facility and the golf training facility. So yeah, continue to criticize him.