Tickets Sold Out

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
That actually brings up a good point. If we have a repeat of last year with the students only showing up for the "big games" like Kansas and Iowa while the upper deck section sits empty most other games, I'm going to lose my ****. I won't be able to get season tickets this year now (and likely subsequent years) and would gladly pay for a seat at full price.

If it's another season of half-filled or empty seats in the upper section, I'd say the AD needs to start selling off those seats to people wanting to sign up as new season ticket holders that will actually go to games.

I'm not sure about the actual numbers, but I have heard that they have oversold the student section by quite a bit more this season (somewhere in the 1000 to 1500 range if I heard correctly). There are going to be quite a few students who paid for their tickets that are going to be sent home without a place to sit next year. I have a feeling that is going to lead to some very sticky situations.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Time to start looking into relacing the middle concourse with seats and then tunnels to an new concourse outside the areana. That way the sides wold have no break, just seats from floor to roof. This would probably add 3-5k seats.

Or use the inner concourse for luxury boxes. Right now, I think the focus is on increasing revenue, not seating. Works for KU.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
I'm not sure about the actual numbers, but I have heard that they have oversold the student section by quite a bit more this season (somewhere in the 1000 to 1500 range if I heard correctly). There are going to be quite a few students who paid for their tickets that are going to be sent home without a place to sit next year. I have a feeling that is going to lead to some very sticky situations.

i believe this only happened for the KU game last year (maybe one or two others?). until students consistently show up to capacity it probably won't change.

CyHawk7

Aug 14, 2013
i believe this only happened for the KU game last year (maybe one or two others?). until students consistently show up to capacity it probably won't change.

Fairly certain pollard released a statement saying no students were turned away for any game last year.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

This is not correct. The number of student tickets for 14-15 is identical to last year.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
They can go ahead and sell the balcony student section to the public. Iowa and Michigan aren't on the schedule this year.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
And this is why I am glad I kept buying tix through the McD years as a place holder, even though sometimes I couldn't give them away

Same here, lower bowl. Was at the end of my patience though. Was gonna let them go, then Hoiberg got hired and I figured I would see what he could do. So glad I didn't let them go...

4CY4EVR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 17, 2010
I'm currently a cardinal donor for many years with two of the $175.00 tickets. I know I'm guaranteed those two tickets regardless. However, I wanted out of the corner so I submitted an upgrade request to move them to the 1 cardinal, 2 gold, or 3. blue sections with the understanding I would have pony up the difference if the upgrade was honored. The ticket office just states the demand is high and to submit my request and wait and see. What are my chances of the upgrade actually happening?

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
As an Iowa fan this thread cracks me up.

It reminds me so much of the threads I read in the offseason before the 2010 football season. There were so many stories about people who were going to buy season tickets for the first time that year because they could finally afford it, little Timmy finally moved away to college and they would have more disposable income, Johnny's youth soccer games are during the week this year instead of on Saturdays or any other BS reason why they never ponied up for season tickets in the past.

And then they would pizz and moan because there were no seats available like they were owed something because they "bled black and gold".

Props to Clone fans on selling out season tickets for basketball, well done.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006

It reminds me so much of the threads I read in the offseason before the 2010 football season. There were so many stories about people who were going to buy season tickets for the first time that year because they could finally afford it, little Timmy finally moved away to college and they would have more disposable income, Johnny's youth soccer games are during the week this year instead of on Saturdays or any other BS reason why they never ponied up for season tickets in the past.

And then they would pizz and moan because there were no seats available like they were owed something because they "bled black and gold".

Thanks for clearing this up that you are an Iowa fan. Maybe some of the statements about people finally being able to buy tickets are true.

I work in college athletics. Been going to Iowa State games since I can remember. Now that I can finally afford it on my own, I had planned to buy the cheap tickets this year, just so I could get to one, maybe two games. Had planned to donate the rest of the tickets for the games I couldn't get to. I know other people that have done this and it's pretty cool.

But yea, keep laughing at the ones that couldn't get tickets that just became diehards today.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Summary of post for those who didn't want to read it after the first sentence (and I understand that, but I'm bored):

1: I'm an Iowa fan

2: I get enjoyment reading about the poor people and people with lives outside of Iowa athletics who can't get tickets.

3: We Iowa fans absolutely must have an ability to maintain our superiority complexes, even amongst ourselves, so we have a stratified system revolving around ***** measuring.

4: Condescending pat on the head for finally getting almost up to Iowa's level.

Hey section...how's Iowa basketball season tickets been doing the last 5 years or so...I don't think Jamie has done bobblehead or free pizza night lately.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

Yeah, but the second Iowa shows signs of not being good, Iowa fans jump off the wagon fast. In relative terms, they don't support their team as well. Consider Iowa has a higher population base closer to their venues, consider Iowa has a lot more fans in the state. Consider Iowa has had a lot of athletic success over the years. Now lets look at how Iowa supports their team during hard times. For example, Iowa had a good run in football from 1981 to 1998. After only one of two years of not being very good, attendance fell to 55,000 per game. Again, consider larger fan base and success. Then again in 2012, after only one off year of 4-8 attendance started to slide again. Now contrast that with Iowa State. Smaller fan base, much less success and somehow ISU is able to get 55,000 fans per game. How bad would have Iowa's support had been had KF hadn't righted the ship in 2001? What if they had a 5 year down turn or something similar to what ISU had gone through? When you look at bb, both ISU and Iowa have had down periods, but ISU outdraws Iowa considerably during down periods. Iowa fans like to stick their chest out about what great fans they are. That is only true when they are winning. The true sign of a good fan base is how they support their school in down times. In that, ISU has the better more loyal fan base.

Thanks for the back handed compliment, but when it comes to fan support between the two schools, in relative terms it is hard to compare.

Stormwarning

Aug 6, 2013
Yeah, but the second Iowa shows signs of not being good, Iowa fans jump off the wagon fast. In relative terms, they don't support their team as well. Consider Iowa has a higher population base closer to their venues, consider Iowa has a lot more fans in the state. Consider Iowa has had a lot of athletic success over the years. Now lets look at how Iowa supports their team during hard times. For example, Iowa had a good run in football from 1981 to 1998. After only one of two years of not being very good, attendance fell to 55,000 per game. Again, consider larger fan base and success. Then again in 2012, after only one off year of 4-8 attendance started to slide again. Now contrast that with Iowa State. Smaller fan base, much less success and somehow ISU is able to get 55,000 fans per game. How bad would have Iowa's support had been had KF hadn't righted the ship in 2001? What if they had a 5 year down turn or something similar to what ISU had gone through? When you look at bb, both ISU and Iowa have had down periods, but ISU outdraws Iowa considerably during down periods. Iowa fans like to stick their chest out about what great fans they are. That is only true when they are winning. The true sign of a good fan base is how they support their school in down times. In that, ISU has the better more loyal fan base.

Thanks for the back handed compliment, but when it comes to fan support between the two schools, in relative terms it is hard to compare.

I had season tickets in the McDermott years and I'm going to pretend I didn't read this post. I was ashamed of cyclone fans and their support of those teams at many of the games I went to...not to the degree of the Likliter hawks, but still pretty crappy. And sect 136 can go back to the collective circle jerk over on the hawk sites.

Last edited:

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
I'm currently a cardinal donor for many years with two of the $175.00 tickets. I know I'm guaranteed those two tickets regardless. However, I wanted out of the corner so I submitted an upgrade request to move them to the 1 cardinal, 2 gold, or 3. blue sections with the understanding I would have pony up the difference if the upgrade was honored. The ticket office just states the demand is high and to submit my request and wait and see. What are my chances of the upgrade actually happening?

There really isn't any way to know for sure if you will get your upgrade, but I wouldn't be surprised if you did. Especially if you got that request in early. They haven't assigned seats yet to the people who have ordered tickets for the first time and I am certain that they will fulfill those ticket upgrades before filling in the new season ticket holders. (At least those new tickets holders at the lowest giving level). I also wouldn't be surprised if there are a very limited number of season tickets released after August 1st when all of the renewals have been processed and the new ticket holders have been placed. It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the ticket office right now to see just how the process is being handled. Good problems to have, but it must be stressful trying to deal with figuring it all out and dealing with unhappy/anxious customers.

Help Support Us

Become a patron