• ROMAN CANDLES

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • WHEELS

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Since most of us will be busy tomorrow, I'm doing this tonight as the 4th of July edition. What are your favorite types of fireworks? For me, it's Roman candles because of the drunken Roman candle wars we used to have in my younger days. Good times.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
My buddies and I used to go out into the country on a gravel road and launch some off. We used to hold bottle rockets from our hands and let them fly off. I'll never forget how scared my cousin was the first time he did it, he held on too tightly and it went off right in his hand as he screamed and jumped. And then of course we also thought every car coming was a cop too so we'd pack everything up and run.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
which ones are the ones that look like weeping willows? I like those best.

also, carlhungus, I think this Friday evening thing should become a thing. :yes:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
My buddies and I used to go out into the country on a gravel road and launch some off. We used to hold bottle rockets from our hands and let them fly off. I'll never forget how scared my cousin was the first time he did it, he held on too tightly and it went off right in his hand as he screamed and jumped. And then of course we also thought every car coming was a cop too so we'd pack everything up and run.
This sums up firing off fireworks for me.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
This sums up firing off fireworks for me.
It was even better if we just hid in the brush and all instead of driving so a car passing by would slow down and just creep hardcore on this random truck parked in the middle of nowhere with no owners nearby (as if the fireworks magically lit themselves).

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny

also, carlhungus, I think this Friday evening thing should become a thing. :yes:

I've done it a few times. I'll try to make it a regular thing, but some Friday nights I like to relive my college days and go out so no promises it will be every Friday

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I like whistling bottle rockets.

Anyone else go to Prairie Meadows tonight? Their fireworks are always top notch.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I am a fan of the artillery shells.

In a way, it's too bad that kids get to see fireworks as often as they do. Part of the mystique of fireworks for me as a kid was only being able to see them once a year.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm sure I'll be called unamerican, but I don't like fireworks. Like, at all. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I'm with you completely. After the first couple, I'm asking when it's going to be over. Boring IMO.

And I hate all the people, so I don't bother even going anymore. Having to show up hours ahead of time just to find a place to park, and then sit there with nothing to do, only to watch some lame fireworks, and then fighting the crowds of people and cars to get out of there, what a waste of several hours. Not my cup of tea at all.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I fell in love with Lady Bugs the first time we lit one off. We bought a couple because they were cute...but we didn't really know what they did. I thought they were like the tanks & turtles that crawl around on the ground...but NOOOOoOOoooOOOoooooo

We lit it off near an old oak tree with massive branches. The ladybug farted sparks for a moment on the ground, then all of a sudden it took off like a satellite. Went straight into the oak tree and played pinball in the branches for a solid minute. We were laughing our tails off. :)

Now, every time we go to visit son in KC, we stop off and pick up a half dozen or so...

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012

For professional fireworks, I also enjoy the "weeping willows". I also like the ones where there's a secondary explosion of the shells, creating a mini firework.

One of my favorite "personal" fireworks was designed to look like a Chinese building, and it would spin on the ground, and as it spun, it would "pop" to create another level of the building. Only seen it twice, though.