4+5 star recruits

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
4 & 5 star recruits

My friend cybri tipped me off to this thread, so props to him. This guy from Kansas had Waaaaaaaay to much time on his hands, but if you skim this thread it paints a good picture of how far we have come. We used to expect the one 4 star recruit we get to be our savior, if we got a 4 star at all in a 4 year period.

We are no longer the under talented team that overachieves. We are on the verge of being just the talented team that achieves. For example, we have more 4 and 5 star guys playing next year than Baylor.

Anyway, enjoy. (even I didn't read it all)

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2481&t=12969546

Last edited:

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
16) Iowa State

5-star: (0)
4-star (6): dejean-jones (sr. transfer), Niang (jr), Morris (so), thomas (so), mcKay (jr. transfer and two-time juco-AA, available 2nd semester-only), custer (fr)

SIX "Rivals" 4-or-5-stars, two are transfers (immediately eligible), three upperclassmen, one freshman.

Lost: Kane, Ejim, Palo (Palo's the one who sued isu after assault allegation were dropped...and the iowa court sided with him, so the school was forced to reinstate him for the remainder of last year, his senior year), Ellerman, bluford (transfer), gibson (transferring to Oakland [detroit])

Lost 43.2% of their scoring.

Led nation in assists, 6th in ppg.

A few of their quality wins, last season: michigan, kansas, unc, baylor (2xs), @byu, iowa, texas, okla st.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Only 12 schools in the nation with more high ranked recruits and ISU fans still play the "underdog that has to get by with lesser parts" card? Sweet Sixteens should no longer be looked at as an amazing overachievement. Welcome to the world of EXPECTATIONS.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
How come UNLV got to count Boise St as a quality win but we did not???? I guess he was struggling to find positives. By the way Wyoming went 17-15 last year

21) UNLV

5-star (2): vaughn (fr), morgan (fr)
4-star (3): okonoboh (fr), wood (so), kendrick (so)

FIVE "Rivals" 4-or-5-star recruits, none are upperclassmen, three are freshmen.

Lost: lopez-sosa, olekaibe, birch (declared), dejean-jones (grad. transfer to iowa st.), morant (transfer to UF-GC), d. smith (transferring), Rivals e4-star former Uconn player/unlv transfer roscoe smith (declaring), Aytes (transferred before Jan. 1, 2014)

Lost 81.7% of their scoring, easily the biggest loss of offense (out of ALL 39 teams).

A few of their quality wins, last season: new mexico, boise st., colorado st., wyoming (2xs

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
How come UNLV got to count Boise St as a quality win but we did not???? I guess he was struggling to find positives. By the way Wyoming went 17-15 last year

Because it's some guy with too much time on his hands who didn't cross reference everything nor did he really care about being accurate.

Still a pretty impressive collection of data there.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Only 12 schools in the nation with more high ranked recruits and ISU fans still play the "underdog that has to get by with lesser parts" card? Sweet Sixteens should no longer be looked at as an amazing overachievement. Welcome to the world of EXPECTATIONS.

This ISU team is already considered to be the most talented team in the Hoiberg era (possibly ever although Fizer & Tinsley were ok), so we'll see if the on court results match the talent. Fred turned in our "underdog" card last year, so now we're going to start using the "All of our players are so amazing that we turn in to giant d-bags when talking about college hoops" card.

Hope that clears it up for you.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des

...yeah, except that we didn't have three of them last year. So, I think the Sweet Sixteen was a pretty solid overachievement with only three-four star recruits on the roster. That would likely have put us outside the top 30.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013

For one I actually agree with Tuco. And I think expectations have changed. We are at a point where Sweet 16's should be almost an every year thing.

For the next two years, with our lineup, elite 8 should be a realistic goal if not higher.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Anyone who still considers us the "underdog" by now is dumb. Every preseason poll I've seen has us ranked in the top 20. There have been about 4,000 articles stating "Fred is the next coming of Jebus" or "Fred is the man" or "Fred has made ISU a powerhouse" or any of the other positives. There has not been one bad thing said about us going into the offseason. ISU fans may be expecting a Final 4, but by now, the rest of the nation is as well and this upcoming season will be considered a failure to the eyes of non-Cyclone fans.

In a way it's a good thing how much Fred has put us on the national radar since beating Michigan last year. Along with the rest of the nation, I expect big things this year and will consider it a bad year if we don't AT LEAST make the Sweet 16. There are obviously a lot of variables, but we have the talent, and most of all, the coach, who can make us one of the best in the nation.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
KU's Euro pickup would have been a 5 star playing american high school and aau ball.

ISU's Euro pickup would have been at least a 4 star. A 7'1" 17 year old who could shoot the three isn't at least a four star playing here.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
He left Iowa off. They have two by this criteria Gesell and Woodbury were both Rivals 4*. Though at #100 Gesell was just ahead of Long and SDW for that class and lowest 4*.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
...yeah, except that we didn't have three of them last year. So, I think the Sweet Sixteen was a pretty solid overachievement with only three-four star recruits on the roster. That would likely have put us outside the top 30.
Hence the words NO LONGER, as in MOVING FORWARD.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Anyone who still considers us the "underdog" by now is dumb. Every preseason poll I've seen has us ranked in the top 20. There have been about 4,000 articles stating "Fred is the next coming of Jebus" or "Fred is the man" or "Fred has made ISU a powerhouse" or any of the other positives. There has not been one bad thing said about us going into the offseason. ISU fans may be expecting a Final 4, but by now, the rest of the nation is as well and this upcoming season will be considered a failure to the eyes of non-Cyclone fans. In a way it's a good thing how much Fred has put us on the national radar since beating Michigan last year. Along with the rest of the nation, I expect big things this year and will consider it a bad year if we don't AT LEAST make the Sweet 16. There are obviously a lot of variables, but we have the talent, and most of all, the coach, who can make us one of the best in the nation.
So are we in agreement that ISU fans can remove the chip on their shoulder about the "advantages" the big boys have? ISU is recruiting just fine and has enough talent to compete with anyone and this should only improve as seasons pass.