Excessive Alcohol to Blame for 1 in 10 Deaths

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 annual fatalities from 2006 to 2010, and cut those victims' lives short by 30 years. Both the short- and long-term health effects associated with drinking alcohol, such as breast cancer, liver disease, and heart disease, and violence, alcohol poisoning and motor vehicle crashes, are what ultimately led to these deaths.

What's more, about 70 percent of these cases involved working-age adults, mostly males. And about five percent of the deaths involved people under age 21.

"Excessive alcohol use is a leading cause of preventable death that kills many Americans in the prime of their lives," Ursula E. Bauer, director of CDC's National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, said in a press release.

http://www.natureworldnews.com/arti...l-consumption-to-blame-for-1-in-10-deaths.htm

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Lack of alcohol use is to blame in 9 out of 10 people that are absolutely insufferable.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
This country has an alcohol problem.

It's sad how acceptable it is in our society to get hammered and do dumb things.

Reactions: Angie

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Prohibition 2.0. I'm in.
Prohibition isn't going to come back. I do have a feeling that in 20-30 years alcohol use might have a stigma change much like the stigma shift on smoking from the 60s to 90s.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Elaine: "So, you're saying that 90 - 95% of the population is undateable"?
Jerry: "UNDATEABLE!"
Elaine: "Then how are all these people getting together"?
Jerry: "Alcohol"?

cyson

Jun 24, 2007
Or don't do anything hAlf assed, my old man covered all the bases.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This country has an alcohol problem.

It's sad how acceptable it is in most societies to get hammered and do dumb things.

FIFY. And I doubt you would want to live in the ones where it's deemed unacceptable.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Odd that people instinctual (and rightfully) reject prohibition of alcohol, despite the fact it might be our largest public health problem and, in particular, a lot of the damage caused by it is *collateral* damage of innocent bystanders (typically people on the wrong end of drunk drivers).

We've banned a lot of other chemical substances, however, citing social peril if we were to legalize them, even though they're medically usually safer than alcohol at typical usage and, additionally, there's a lot less of a chance for their users to get in a car after a night in the bar and hit somebody.

Strange world we live in.

Reactions: Angie

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
FIFY. And I doubt you would want to live in the ones where it's deemed unacceptable.

I think I could get used to a world where innocent people aren't killed everyday by drunks. And families aren't torn apart from the results of substance abuse.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
We've banned a lot of other chemical substances

One big difference is you can drink alcohol and NOT get intoxicated. Most other chemical substances, you're high from the get-go.

I don't disagree that alcohol causes a lot of problems in our society. But it could be worse - take a look at Russia.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think I could get used to a world where innocent people aren't killed everyday by drunks. And families aren't torn apart from the results of substance abuse.

I'm not talking about your idea of a utopian society, I'm talking about reality.