#FindJodi

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
19 years ago today TV Anchor Jodi Huisentruit went missing in Mason City on her way to work.

May we someday find answers to this mystery.

A site set up by a a couple former co-workers of mine: www.findjodi.com

10483704_750698798315585_3323595989749403751_n.jpg

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
It is crazy to me that we can't solve mysteries like this. Hopefully they can figure something out.

my little town had a string of murders back in the 70s that went unsolved. Creepy to think about given there is a decent chance the killer is still around town.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It is crazy to me that we can't solve mysteries like this.

If the killer has no easily identified connection to the victim, its actually statistically much harder for the police to catch someone than people would believe based on CSI type shows. I doubt there is ever a result to this case, much like i doubt we ever find out who killed the realtor out in wdm a few years ago.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
If the killer has no easily identified connection to the victim, its actually statistically much harder for the police to catch someone than people would believe based on CSI type shows. I doubt there is ever a result to this case, much like i doubt we ever find out who killed the realtor out in wdm a few years ago.

i know, and I think our law enforcement does a fine job.

it is just a tough pill to swallow that people can actually commit murder in small-town Iowa and get away with it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There's a pretty interesting book written by some news anchor about the case. Not especially well written, but interesting.

I think the older guy who had a thing for her had something to do with it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

As far as the realtor goes, I'm guessing that the guy that committed suicide a few months after it was probably the guy that did it. And I'll say this, I don't know that the WDM police are any real great catches. There seem to be lots of unsolved cases and lots of issues with them. Let's put it this way, if I was trying to get away with something, WDM wouldn't be a bad place to be.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
The fact that it has been 19 years and she never turned up, dead or alive, makes me kind of wonder if she is still alive somewhere (abducted ala Elizabeth Smart.) Though, even if that were to be the case, I still don't think she will ever be found at this point.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
As far as the realtor goes, I'm guessing that the guy that committed suicide a few months after it was probably the guy that did it. And I'll say this, I don't know that the WDM police are any real great catches. There seem to be lots of unsolved cases and lots of issues with them. Let's put it this way, if I was trying to get away with something, WDM wouldn't be a bad place to be.
Don't come kill me. Please.

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
A message board I posted on a lot before here had a poster on it that was very familiar with the story. He use to have beers with the main suspect in the murder. The cops could never tie the suspect to the bar the night she was last seen until he talked to them in the last year. I have met the poster in real life and I believe all of it. He goes by the handle of SFHAWKEYES on the rivals network. I know I didn't tell the details well, and would love for him to stop by and tell it. I will look through my emails and see if I have a have his contact

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I'm from there and remember this (obviously). If I remember right, there were some kind of implications with the police chief or someone high up either covering stuff up or being tied in with it. I can't remember exactly, but it wouldn't surprise me as Mason City cops are about as awful as they come.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I think a lot pf times they have a good idea who did it, but they might not have a good enough case.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I'm from there and remember this (obviously). If I remember right, there were some kind of implications with the police chief or someone high up either covering stuff up or being tied in with it. I can't remember exactly, but it wouldn't surprise me as Mason City cops are about as awful as they come.

http://globegazette.com/news/local/...cle_0355e4f8-2ac5-11e2-8093-0019bb2963f4.html

Yeah, that popped up just a few years ago. The officer who made those allegations is no longer with the Mason City PD.

H

HGPuck

I don't have an opinion on the WDM PD, but can say its extremely unlikely Joe Kruse (realtor who committed suicide) had anything to do with the murder. This is coming from Ashley's family who were neighbors of mine growing up.

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think in most of these cases, the police have a damn good idea of who did it. They just struggle to find physical evidence to have the proof to hold up in court.