ISU Tidbits?

Kraps

Jun 26, 2014
When you go on a tour your tour guides always tell you little tips/tricks and tidbits unique to the school. I'm going to ISU this fall but never toured so I never learned any of these... :/ Anybody care to share?

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
You can still take a tour during your orientation (assuming you're going). Having said that:

• Don't step on the zodiac in the MU front entrance or you'll fail your next test. This can be reversed by throwing a coin into the fountain in front of the building
  • CyRide can take you everywhere you need to go on campus or in Ames, all free for students
  • Bikes aren't essential but helpful
  • The dome on Beardshear is green because that's where all the money goes (lame joke).
  • The fence around the Palmer playground is there to keep the students out, not the kids in (another lame joke)
  • There are 2 great gyms on campus that are 100% free to students
  • 1st ever computer was made at Iowa State and there's a replica in Durham (if it's still there). Original is at the Smithsonian
  • You can buy Subway and Panda Express from the MU with your dining dollars, which come combined with your meal plan
  • Speaking of meal plans, I think you have 1-2 weeks to switch plans if you'd like. I found that more than 10 meals/week was too much, but it's all your personal preference

I know I'm missing about 1,000 more

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
You can still take a tour during your orientation (assuming you're going). Having said that:

• Don't step on the zodiac in the MU front entrance or you'll fail your next test. This can be reversed by throwing a coin into the fountain in front of the building
  • CyRide can take you everywhere you need to go on campus or in Ames, all free for students
  • Bikes aren't essential but helpful
  • The dome on Beardshear is green because that's where all the money goes (lame joke).
  • The fence around the Palmer playground is there to keep the students out, not the kids in (another lame joke)
  • There are 2 great gyms on campus that are 100% free to students
  • 1st ever computer was made at Iowa State and there's a replica in Durham (if it's still there). Original is at the Smithsonian
  • You can buy Subway and Panda Express from the MU with your dining dollars, which come combined with your meal plan
  • Speaking of meal plans, I think you have 1-2 weeks to switch plans if you'd like. I found that more than 10 meals/week was too much, but it's all your personal preference

I know I'm missing about 1,000 more

I never heard of the reverse to the zodiac. Wife and I were on campus last summer - I still walk around that damn thing some 20 yrs later. She thought it was hysterical (she went to iowa. Lost cause)

Not so much tidbit as urban legend, but about every location in Ames at one point or another was a heavy water dump site from the Manhattan project in the 40's. Keep an eye out for the black helicopters taking air readings.

- Just wait until the next big construction project, particularly if it involves a playground or something to do with kids. Somebody will make the claim that it's hot.

Basement of Gilman hall is sealed off because it was too radioactive.

Take all your first dates the campanile at midnight.....

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There is a direct descendant of Confucius buried in the Iowa State Cemetery.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Jesus multiplied the fishes and loaves on the ground hilton coliseum stands on.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Shoot. You need to throw a coin in fountain to reverse stepping on the zodiac? No wonder my gpa sucked. I thought you were supposed to pee in it. Good thing no one ever swims there!

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
I never heard of the reverse to the zodiac. Wife and I were on campus last summer - I still walk around that damn thing some 20 yrs later. She thought it was hysterical (she went to iowa. Lost cause)

Not so much tidbit as urban legend, but about every location in Ames at one point or another was a heavy water dump site from the Manhattan project in the 40's. Keep an eye out for the black helicopters taking air readings.

- Just wait until the next big construction project, particularly if it involves a playground or something to do with kids. Somebody will make the claim that it's hot.

Basement of Gilman hall is sealed off because it was too radioactive.

Take all your first dates the campanile at midnight.....

Can't believe I forgot this important tidbit! They say you're not a true Iowa Stater until you've snuck a kiss under the campanile at the stroke of midnight. They also do mass campaniling during Homecoming and VEISHEA (or whatever it will be called next year) where the band plays and hundreds of students gather around the campanile awaiting their kiss. Kind of weird but it's something you should do.

JWIL4CY

Nov 17, 2010
Urbandale
Shoot. You need to throw a coin in fountain to reverse stepping on the zodiac? No wonder my gpa sucked. I thought you were supposed to pee in it. Good thing no one ever swims there!

Hopefully that wasn't in the spring of 2004 or else I might have swam in pee.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
The curse of the Zodiac can't be reversed. I've never heard the throwing a coin in the fountain thing to reverse the curse but it sounds like a rather juvenile myth to me.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
The curse of the Zodiac can't be reversed. I've never heard the throwing a coin in the fountain thing to reverse the curse but it sounds like a rather juvenile myth to me.
And believing the curse of the zodiac isn't juvenile?

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT pull the bus chord at Kildee/Bessey and State/Beyer stops. Those are transfer points so they stop every time.

Do not wear the string bag and stuff they give you are DIS.

Dont be all happy on your first day of class and try to make friends with an upperclassman, we have been here long enough that we arent happy anymore.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
The zodiac "curse" is just a way to help preserve the zodiac. The only way you will fail your next test is if you dont prepare for it.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Get a bus map and learn which routes go where.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT pull the bus chord at Kildee/Bessey and State/Beyer stops. Those are transfer points so they stop every time.

Quoting some of the advice that I would second.

Also: I hope you are starting off in the dorms. It is a great way to make friends right away. Some of the people you meet on the day you move in will be your closest friends after you graduate. Do a year in the dorms (two max) and then get into an apartment.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Dont be all happy on your first day of class and try to make friends with an upperclassman, we have been here long enough that we arent happy anymore.

Protip: Stop taking classes with freshmen and you won't be there so long.

:pwink: