ISU and McD make an appearance in Forde's minutes...

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2659317

Not sure I agree w/ Pat's assessment, but here's what he has to say...

FIRST-YEAR COACHES WHO WILL STRUGGLE

Greg McDermott (34), Iowa State. Took over a team with four returning scholarship players, one of whom is now suspended for the first six games of this season. He'll win in Ames, but it won't be this year.

I agree w/ the "he'll win" part, but I honestly don't see us finishing (much) worse than last year. Prove 'em wrong coach...

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
Yeah, you've got to kinda laugh at the "one of whom is suspended for the first 6 games" stuff. Jiri's suspension is half-over, so Pat's observation is at least halfway moot.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
That is true. And speaking of, I can't wait until he gets a chance to come back. I think having him play around a rotation of Jessan and C. Johnson, we could have a decent inside presence on both defense and offense. I'm not saying we'll necessarily dominate people down low, but it will surely help.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
On the outside looking in, I can see where he came up with his assessment. That said I believe that we're going to surprise quite a few teams as the season goes on. Go Clones.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
The reason I don't agree w/ Pat's assessment is he says we're going to struggle, but compared to what? Coming off last season, I think if the team can learn some fundamentals and actually play with a gameplan, then the season is an overwhelming success. Maybe Forde expects more than I do, which actually makes me feel good. Is it possible someone in the national media expects ISU to be good at something???

alaskaguy

Apr 11, 2006
Did you catch what the article said about the Big 10? That it will really "stink" this year, "no, really stink. After Ohio State and Wisconsin this is the Midwest at its most mediocre, Iowa and Illinois will back peddle."

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
Yeah, I saw that. I don't think it's any secret Iowa will be down this year. I'm curious to see how the Big 10 will do for the out-of-conference schedule. One site I like that compares that kind of thing is www.warrennolan.com. As the season progresses they'll do a "conference RPI" which ranks the conferences.

I also found it interesting that Mike Anderson (formerly of UAB, now at Mizzou) was pegged as a first year coach who will shine. I think we'll at least split the 2 games this year w/ Mizzou.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Generally, I agree with most of Forde's articles and assessments, and in general, I'd have to say I agree. There are going to be times this year when the team, coaches, and fans are going to be frustrated with out basketball team, but that will mostly be due to them making rookie mistakes. Our team will struggle this season, especially when we hit the Big XII season. A lot of our guys are undersized compared to many of the other big men in the conference, and in that regard, expect to see faces of frustration later in the year. I also agree with the assessment that McD will win, eventually. He has landed some upper-tier recruits, and McD knows how to coach.

Realistically, I'm expecting a decent non-conference showing this season, with a so-so Big XII record, and maybe pull a few surprises. I don't expect this team to be consistent, though. This season is going to be full of ups and downs, but I'm okay with that. FINAL FOUR IN 2008 BABY! :sweet:

Lastplace

Oct 23, 2006
Forde must not have watched the progression from the first game of the tournament to the last game of the tournament, if Taylor is under control...and our bigs stay out of foul trouble...we are going to do just fine. Our defense will win us ball games this year. There were a total of 6-8 fouls called on us the entire game last game

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
I really don't think he is that far off. If we finish the year at 500 that would be a spectacular first year in my opinion. We have athletes on this team, but so does everyone else in the Big 12. I am excited about this team but lets keep it in perspective and not shoot for the moon the first year.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
We have a pretty solid non-conference schedule which I think will both test us and prepare us well for the Big 12 season. Playing at Minnesota on the 21st will be a good measure on where this team is at and what they are capable of. I think at times we'll have some struggles just from the inexpirience plus lack of depth and size but as long as our defense keeps playing like it is we should be able to keep ourselves in most games. It's really hard to tell at this point because we've played mostly less athletic teams than us with similar size. EA sports did have some big 270 pound guys we contained well though.

We have Minnesota, Drake, Iowa, Ohio State and Bradley before Big 12 play that are not cupcakes. Those games will really guage where we are at I think.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Progression against UC Riverside, Louisiana-Monroe and Eastern Illinois is not the same as progression against Texas, Kansas, and Texas A&M. Yes, our team is looking better than before, but they still don't look good enough to really compete in the Big XII

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
Progression against UC Riverside, Louisiana-Monroe and Eastern Illinois is not the same as progression against Texas, Kansas, and Texas A&M. Yes, our team is looking better than before, but they still don't look good enough to really compete in the Big XII

True, progression against those teams might be hard to gauge but after we play a big 10 road game or three(Minn, OSU, EIU) maybe we will have a better idea of what we will be capable of doing come Big XII season.