Hoiberg coaching sets: youtube video

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Ran across this this morning. Thought it was pretty awesome to see how many different directions you can go with one simple play. All about spacing and ball movement.

[video=youtube;Os23Un0qrW4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os23Un0qrW4[/video]

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Fred's genius is in how simple his approach to the game is. Thanks for the sharing, I love X's and O's type stuff.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
No problem. I found it incredibly interesting as well. It's all about spacing and making the smart play. If nothing is there just keep moving. It's amazing how simple it is.

cemarclone

Feb 6, 2014
Fred's genius is in how simple his approach to the game is. Thanks for the sharing, I love X's and O's type stuff.

I have been watching the last 5 minutes of the North Carolina game, and it is amazing to see the plays where Kane starts outside, then drives into the middle, and that drive to the middle just draws the defenders in the corners to Kane, and he easily dumps it off to the gys in the corner for wide open three's. So when you watch the Fred training tapes, and their are many, it becomes apparent that they have a lot of options, and that good basketball has a ton of strategy. To play Fred's system, you truly have to buy in. There is a lot of stuff to learn. The man is going to go down as a basketball genius.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I have been watching the last 5 minutes of the North Carolina game, and it is amazing to see the plays where Kane starts outside, then drives into the middle, and that drive to the middle just draws the defenders in the corners to Kane, and he easily dumps it off to the gys in the corner for wide open three's. So when you watch the Fred training tapes, and their are many, it becomes apparent that they have a lot of options, and that good basketball has a ton of strategy. To play Fred's system, you truly have to buy in. There is a lot of stuff to learn. The man is going to go down as a basketball genius.

This can't be true. I've been told that Fred teaches chuck and duck. I do not engage with these stupid people.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
After watching Wayne Morgan's and McDermott's teams play offense Hoiball is a true thing of beauty. I'm still amazed how McDermott made his offense work at UNI AND Creighton but looked so bad at ISU.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
"Fred is not a good coach - he just gets a bunch of mid-major chuckers to heave 3s, and that's how his teams have a chance to win."

-bitter Hawkeye/ Jayhawk fans

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
I think it's clear by now that Fred is a much better X's and O's coach than probably a lot of people expected. One of my favorite things he does is inverting the offense on plays.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

And Kane had options on the last play against UNC. He didn't have to take the shot himself.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I think this was posted on here not too long ago, and it's not and instructional vid. But a series of clips of game footage of what are really 2 (3) man game and how a simple double pick can be so versatile.

I never notice this stuff in a game, but it's really neat to see it laid out and observe the nuances. So simple. And it's putting our players in a position to react to the D, not as much of an effort to get the D out of position - if you get my meaning.

Doesn't hurt to have a guy like DeAndre bring the ball up, and bigs like Melvin and Georges who can shoot the 3 and pull defenders out.

[video=youtube_share;rqph07zdiw8]http://youtu.be/rqph07zdiw8[/video]

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think, more than anything else, Fred just puts together an offense that allows for the players to success and improvise *within* the context of what is going on out there.

Look at that one play from the video above - it's just a screen for DeAndre on the side by either Niang or Ejim. And, out of that, DeAndre reacts to the defender and either...

--> defender is slow around the pick, take it to the hole and beat the help/get fouled
--> defender is too fast/the post's defender doubles him, kick it back to Niang or Ejim for a drive or an open three-point look
--> defender cheats the screen on the far side, then cheat back on the inside and drive for the hole past the slower post defender for an inside look or a foul
--> defender gets around the screen alright but plays low/takes baseline away for the drive, not letting you get past him low, then just step back and take an open, semi-corner three over his head

Granted, having somebody with the versatility of a player and scorer like Kane makes this all go, but that's really the Hoiberg mentality in having players that do everything well and only really emphasizing shooting abilities as a fundamental talent and emphasis.

Fred adjusts these basic principles, too. I swear 95% (not that many in reality, but you know) of our offensive sets his first year was JVB on a high, top of the key screen for Diante. And it was the same principle... DG, if you are around your man, go to the hole to shoot/get foul/pop out to SC for a three, if they leave JVB too open, get it back to him and let him launch a three and he is so tall/generally guarded by a slower post so it is hard for anybody to recover back to him before the ball is away. JVB was an adequate player, but not the inside-outside threat that Melvin and George are, however (mostly just a tall shooter, despite being a nominal center), so Fred put it at the top of the key to draw that post defender even further away from his comfort zone and give JVB more space and time, which is important considering he didn't have Georges or Melvin's ability to drive and punish the defense if he got the ball back. DeAndre was bigger than Diante and better able to take hits/fouls and keep his balance and shot, so he was better driving baseline, but Diante was faster and a better ball handler and better able to drive center, so it helped him, too.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think it's clear by now that Fred is a much better X's and O's coach than probably a lot of people expected. One of my favorite things he does is inverting the offense on plays.

And I bet he was able to show that to JP at the kitchen table when JP talked with him. Same reason why some ex-players would never be a good coach because they don't know this stuff, but could play, etc.

I think MANY who criticized used "previous coaching exp" and his "stardom" as reasons why not to consider him, etc...the reality is....one of us on this board MIGHT be able to out coach him...but we likely don't have the mechanism for a shot, if you will. ***NOT SAYING I COULD****

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
After watching Wayne Morgan's and McDermott's teams play offense Hoiball is a true thing of beauty. I'm still amazed how McDermott made his offense work at UNI AND Creighton but looked so bad at ISU.

It'll probably become more clear next season. :twitcy: