NBA: Lebron James to opt out of contract

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
That could still mean a lot of different things. He could be opting out to sign a smaller deal in order to clear up cap room in Miami, he could be looking to head to another team, or he might not even know which of those options he wants yet.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Weird thing is if he somehow comes back to Cleveland, I'll probably root for him again. Maybe it's my whole "root for the underdog" mentality.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Would never happen, but if the T-wolves come somehow keep Love and get Lebron....giggity!

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I am guessing he will take his time. Probably see where Kevin Love lands or what Melo is going to do. If he is all about winning more rings, I don't think Miami is the place to do it - unless they get rid of Bosh and Wade signs for $5MM (which is what a part time player should make).

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I am guessing he will take his time. Probably see where Kevin Love lands or what Melo is going to do. If he is all about winning more rings, I don't think Miami is the place to do it - unless they get rid of Bosh and Wade signs for $5MM (which is what a part time player should make).

Like I said, I think this news basically tells us nothing. When we start getting reports about Wade or Bosh opting out, then we will really know which way the wind is blowing in Miami.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think in general, he needs to take less cash and get more help. Miami worked him hard this year and he's not getting any younger.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
Like I said, I think this news basically tells us nothing. When we start getting reports about Wade or Bosh opting out, then we will really know which way the wind is blowing in Miami.

There are already reports that Wade is planning on opting out just to benefit Miami. Wade won't go anywhere else, but I can see him taking a 4 year deal worth ~$12mil/year at Miami.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
There are already reports that Wade is planning on opting out just to benefit Miami. Wade won't go anywhere else, but I can see him taking a 4 year deal worth ~$12mil/year at Miami.

If that turns out to be the case, I suspect LeBron is leaning towards returning.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

And Bosh has already said he will take less money too, if they all take deals in the $12-14M range, Miami will have a lot of roster freedom the next few years. Now they just need to talk Haslem into retiring and joining Mourning and Juwan Howard in the front office.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
And Bosh has already said he will take less money too, if they all take deals in the $12-14M range, Miami will have a lot of roster freedom the next few years. Now they just need to talk Haslem into retiring and joining Mourning and Juwan Howard in the front office.

Didn't Birdman say he was leaving already? How much would that free up? Nevermind, looks like about 3.5

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
That could still mean a lot of different things. He could be opting out to sign a smaller deal in order to clear up cap room in Miami, he could be looking to head to another team, or he might not even know which of those options he wants yet.

He's probably waiting to find out what NBA Team Fred is going to.

Sorry, had to say it, it's the off season.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
The best thing that could happen for Lebron is he tells Cleveland to trade the #1 overall pick and Anthony Bennett for K. Love, then he signs with them, and teams up with Kyrie, Kevin Love, & Dion Waiters to be the best team in the east (easily) and then challenge the west teams. All three of those stars are younger than Lebron and would be able to be there for a long time... plus then he's a hometown hero.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The best thing that could happen for Lebron is he tells Cleveland to trade the #1 overall pick and Anthony Bennett for K. Love, then he signs with them, and teams up with Kyrie, Kevin Love, & Dion Waiters to be the best team in the east (easily) and then challenge the west teams. All three of those stars are younger than Lebron and would be able to be there for a long time... plus then he's a hometown hero.

Best for him or for Cleveland?

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

I do like your thinking. Do the Cavs have enough room to pay for all these folks? Also...the rookie coach might make it tougher to get LB to sign.

It might make momma happy...http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/b...ee-agent-husband/story-fni2u9cl-1226964975898