El Bait Shop - Named one of 33 Best Beer Bars in the US

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
Have been to one other bar on the list...Taste of Tops down here in Tempe. Amazing and unique bar but El Bait is still my fav bar.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
El Bait Shop is a great bar. I just wish there was a little more space, although that would detract from the cool kind of divey, kind of nice feel it has going now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It makes me wonder how much whoever owns the land to the NW of El Bait/High Life want? There's been a sign there for a long time that says up to the whole block is available to purchase.
Downtown is booming.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's just so damn hard to decide what to order though.

One of the best things about El Bait is that the bar staff (more so than the wait staff) is VERY knowledgable and has input on every beer on tap. If you tell them some things you like they will almost always steer you to a great beer and even offer a free sample to make sure.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
One of the best things about El Bait is that the bar staff (more so than the wait staff) is VERY knowledgable and has input on every beer on tap. If you tell them some things you like they will almost always steer you to a great beer and even offer a free sample to make sure.

Very true. They have great people behind the bar, just wish they would add one more person back there (not to mention 2 or 3 more service staff) during busy times. There has been quite a few times that I have opted out of an extra beer or two due to time constraints or just not bothering with the hassle. And I think I have been pretty lucky with service there, I've seen others wait close to 15-20 for a beer.

Still love the bar though, such a great selection and will continue to get better with Surly and Lagunitas coming soon.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've honestly yet to see a bar anywhere that can touch it's selection.

I was at a place in Dallas last year (the Green Man, or something like that) that was close.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I was at a place in Dallas last year (the Green Man, or something like that) that was close.

And they don't put crap beer in the mix just to inflate their numbers. They have a great selection of all styles. Although I think I saw Miller Lite on tap a few weeks ago. They probably got tired of "Do you have something that tastes like Miller Lite?"

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

...and you won't. The article claims they have the largest selection of beer (between bottled and taps) in the country.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
It's just so damn hard to decide what to order though.

I will say though, what I love about El Bait shop, that a lot of other so called Beer bars don't do, is offer Beer flights for you to try out different beers, without having to constantly ask for samples.

I've even mentioned it to a bar I was at here in Illinois, they constantly brag about their 50+ Beers on tap, but their menu is all over the place. I told them they should set up flights of English Beers, German, Stouts, IPA, etc. Guy told me I was crazy, no one would go for it.

Whenever I go to a place where I don't know their beer selection, I always get a flight if it's offered.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
El Bait Shop is a great bar. I just wish there was a little more space, although that would detract from the cool kind of divey, kind of nice feel it has going now.

Yeah, the actual bar doesn't blow you away. Just a whole lot of beer. The foods decent as well.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
On that list, I've been to Hopcat in GR & The Blind Tiger in NYC. El Bait easily beats them both. Very thankful to have them here. And the fact it is so bike friendly/accessible makes it that much better.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
And they don't put crap beer in the mix just to inflate their numbers. They have a great selection of all styles. Although I think I saw Miller Lite on tap a few weeks ago. They probably got tired of "Do you have something that tastes like Miller Lite?"

They had a Bud Light tap for a long time, for this exact reason.

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
I've been to a couple of the others on this including Hop Leaf and Tapwerks in OKC. Hop Leaf is fantastic and is a great place to check out after a Cubs game. I was not as impressed with Tapwerks however. They did not have a great selection, primarily due to Oklahoma's outdated beer laws. It was a cool space to hang out in though in between sessions at NCAA Wrestling this year.

No one beats the shop though, the selection and variety is just amazing! Keg Stand is a close second in Des Moines and is usually easier to get a beer at with the crowds being downtown.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The only other one I've been to was Falling Rock in Denver. It's very good (you can get Pliny), but I definitely wouldn't call it better across the board than Bait Shop.

The food might be though. Their burger was killer. Of course, Bait Shop has damn solid food too.

The critique of Tapwerks doesn't surprise me. Outside of Prairie beers (which are great), it's really tough to get good beer in Oklahoma.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

I've been to Tapwerks in OKC which is also on the list. They had over 600 varieties when you included in the obscure imports they had in the cellar.